Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
HEY! I am new here and have recently found a new and exciting love for the sabaru wrx! I was literally seconds away from throwing $18,999 on a Nissan Titan before I had to drive my buddy home (he was drunk) and he owns an STI. I was instantly addicted like I had just smoked crack or something. I own a 07 ninja zx-6r and a 06 Yamaha R1 (im trying to sell by the way) so I have the need for speed. But along with that need comes my trail of speeding tickets. So buying an STI is out of the question based on the extreme insurance costs of having such a car. But I love to work on cars and motorcycles so I want to buy a regular WRX and make it my project car.
With that said I want an 06 wrx and mod it up.
Now the question is whether to get an automatic or a manual. I love them both, but find that an automatic tranny is very convenient. Especially since I live in the city, I would prefer the auto.
I know that automatics are slower then the manuals from starting at a stand still, but I want to know how much of a difference it is for this car. I have also heard that the automatic wrx can launch better then the manual. Is this true and how is it done? I also heard that there are some mods you can do with automatics to make them equal or faster then manuals from 0-60.
I guess I am just looking to see if anyone with experience in this matter can enlighten me on the differences in speed between the two transmissions.

·
Registered
76 Posts
I'm no expert so take my word lightly but automatic or manual is gonna come down to how far your taking the car and personal preference. As far as automatic being faster than manual I think it depends more on the driver. Someone that knows how to shift and launch an awd properly imo will be faster and have more control over the car than automatic would allow. Honestly just go with whatever you enjoy and are most comfortable with. Again, just my opinion and I could be A** backwards on it.

·
Registered
264 Posts
I would have to go with a manual transmission, since it gives you more control over your vehicle...but I think the WRX comes with the tiptronic thing

·
Registered
762 Posts
I think the automatic takes the fun out of the car.

i also live in the city....NY

it sucks in traffic, but i would rather have stick over auto anyday

I dont think Ill ever go back to driving an automatic ever again:cool:

·
Registered
264 Posts
I think the automatic takes the fun out of the car.

I dont think Ill ever go back to driving an automatic ever again:cool:
yea it does, I drove my friends M3, she doesn't know how to drive a stick...and it wasn't fun....

I have never owned an automatic car, and I don't think I ever will as long as it has an option for a standard transmission...

·
Registered
762 Posts
yea it does, I drove my friends M3, she doesn't know how to drive a stick...and it wasn't fun....

I have never owned an automatic car, and I don't think I ever will as long as it has an option for a standard transmission...
yup

my boss asked me if i would take a nissan gtr and i said no because its auto...if i got it for free i would definitely sell it

maybe its just me, but driving is more than just going from point A to point B

·
Friendly Neighborhood Spider-Admin
38,620 Posts
Welcome to the site. :)

I've never been a fan of turbocharged 4-bangers and automatic transmissions. My experience has been that to get the real fun out of these cars, you need to be able to access the engine's powerband in a selective way. The automatics offered at this level of car (as opposed to the fancyshmancy units on upscale cars like Ferrari's, Porsche's, etc..) rarely do this right.

Just my opinion. Drive both back-to-back and see what you think. I'm obviously heavily biased..the only car in my stable with an auto is for the wife. :tongue:

·
Premium Member
6,709 Posts
i have never owned an automatic and i pretty much refuse to. unless its an audi/volkswagen with the DSG & paddle shifters, automatics are very boring & just takes the fun out of driving

·
Peachypumpkincheeks
5,821 Posts
i have never owned an automatic and i pretty much refuse to. unless its an audi/volkswagen with the DSG & paddle shifters, automatics are very boring & just takes the fun out of driving
+100000

Unless you need the standard tampon dispenser feature that comes with the automatic.

;)

·
Friendly Neighborhood Spider-Admin
38,620 Posts
+100000

Unless you need the standard tampon dispenser feature that comes with the automatic.
Oh noes! It's teh tampon hurler!! Run away!..Run away!..

Geez, that story goes way back..

·
Peachypumpkincheeks
5,821 Posts
Oh noes! It's teh tampon hurler!! Run away!..Run away!..

Geez, that story goes way back..
Hahaha, you must be taking your Ginkgo Biloba vitamins!

Yeah, good thing I was driving an automatic, so I had the convenience of a tampon artillery at my side! :tongue:

·
Registered
112 Posts
there is a huge article on this site that list the positives and negatives of both transmissions u just need to search.the awd system is split up differently on the manual and automatic (power wise). the manual has a 50/50 split, the auto has 55/45 split meaning it's making more power from the rear than the front. i have an auto by the way and have no problem saying that.

·
Registered
890 Posts
This is easy... get a manual.
Unless you are a hardcore drag racer or you need the aforementioned tampon dispenser that is.

·
Registered
394 Posts
There is nothing like the convieniency of an auto in stop and go traffic. I have a manual and sometimes it's a major PITA being stuck in traffic. ... however, there is just something about a manual and the driving experience with a WRX. The mother in law has an 04 that is an automatic and as said above, it's boring.

·
Flirty User That's Younger Than the Chunks of Cor
2,414 Posts
Exactly. I told my dad if he buys me an automatic, I won't drive it.

·
Registered
51 Posts
its more or less personal preferance. this is my first manual and i kno i will never own another auto. manual makes the driving experiance so much more fun and it gives u more control and in my opinion a more attentive driver...

·
Registered
145 Posts
Personally I prefer manuals. More fun, better on gas. (And in my case, more control when you're hauling) Automatics make me sleepy and I get frustrated when they don't change gears when I want them to.

·
Flirty User That's Younger Than the Chunks of Cor
2,414 Posts
Of course. You're European. It's in your blood.:p
No. My sister and my mom refuse to touch an automatic. It's more one of the things that my dad and I share. I enjoy spending time with him working on the car, well me watching and him working.

·
Registered
762 Posts
No. My sister and my mom refuse to touch an automatic. It's more one of the things that my dad and I share. I enjoy spending time with him working on the car, well me watching and him working.
im confused now:confused:

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.