Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
as far as i knew, the material that the CF lays on when setting needs to be perfeclty smooth, as when you peel it up there are no blemishes

i think you also wax the glass prior to laying it

but im no expert (yet)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
the panels were prepped for paint, that is, smooth enough to paint. The carbon laid smooth, but I was told to use epoxy resin, and can't figure out how to polish it

·
Registered
6 Posts
please post a clear pic

Please post a pic (good natural light, no flash) so I can visuallize where you are at and I'd be happy to help. Also, feel free to call me at the office at 801-568-0161 (8-5PM MST). I've done more than a bit of CF work;)

James
Advanced Composites Engineer
Delphi Composite Development Lab

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'll post a pic when I get back in town.

If anybody knows of a "Carbon Fiber for Dummies" book, I would greatly appreciate a post.

·
Registered
259 Posts
I've done quite a bit of c/f work (Tuned Perfection Autosports does carbon fiber fabrication) and have found that you need 2 moderate coats of thin grade resin, followed by sanding after the last coat, followed by a couple thick coats of clear coat at a body shop.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Here's a inner trunk piece that we carbon fibered. (notice the shine) We have crafted numerous parts for cars and we will be working on developing some parts for the wrx this winter.

·
Registered
108 Posts
coolblue04 said:
I've done quite a bit of c/f work (Tuned Perfection Autosports does carbon fiber fabrication) and have found that you need 2 moderate coats of thin grade resin, followed by sanding after the last coat, followed by a couple thick coats of clear coat at a body shop.
wow nice work, can I see some other high res pics of some of your shop work?

hrm...sand it and clear coat it, think I'll try it this weekend...

·
Registered
841 Posts
Re: please post a clear pic

teleskier said:
Please post a pic (good natural light, no flash) so I can visuallize where you are at and I'd be happy to help. Also, feel free to call me at the office at 801-568-0161 (8-5PM MST). I've done more than a bit of CF work;)

James
Advanced Composites Engineer
Delphi Composite Development Lab
Big NewB Questyion.... how do you work with CF? Is it just luike fiber glass i have worked with it before, resin and mat? i am curious, as i don't know much about it. can the average joe do CF work?:confused:

·
Registered
108 Posts
kind of...there are some differences in methods.

Go to google and look for "SYS composites"

they have a 60 page tutorial on composites and it'll answer all your questions.

·
Registered
42 Posts
You guys that never worked with it can go to an RC composite Glider forum and they got tons of info on building up composite stuff. It'll give you a good idea on how to get a good end result.

Try RCUniverse.

Also, BE CAREFUL, do not ingest any carbon fiber, that stuff is a carcinigen and will mess you up. Just be careful if you have to sand it. Handling the fiber itself is no worries though.

·
Registered
42 Posts
You can lay it up just like fiberglassing a surfboard, its just another material.

I've found that epoxy resins are a lot better than the cheaper polystyrene (bondo) type glass you find in places like walmart.

PLus the coats are glossier.

·
Registered
6 Posts
03WRXMA said:
What would you use to repair a crack in CF? Its painted, so grain dosent matter here.
It Depends on a number of factors.
How big is the crack?
How structural is that region of the part?
What resin was used to make the part?

Do you have a pic?

A small crack in a non structural region I might just put a carbon viel or thin fiberglass patch and some epoxy on the back side while holding the surface flat with flash tape (High quality cellophane scotch tape) Colored paint would still require standard rework. I'm lazy though and the rest of my car has so many chips that painting would be a waste for me:D

A more major crack must be attacked more creatively so send pics if this doesn't help and I'll see what I can think of.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I make the Champ Cars for Elan Motorsports Technologies and I've done my fair share of carbon work.

There are two ways to do carbon, pre-preg (prepregnated with resin) and we layup. Pre preg is the easy and most efficient way. Raw carbon can be made to shine after curing with a type of epoxy and then a post cure, a clear coat, or you can even wetsand the resin in the carbon after it has cured to make it shine.

Cracks can be fixed depending on the structure. If it is a part that is painted and bares no load, you can simply sand the edges smooth, fill with bondo, sand smooth again, and repaint. If it carries a load, a wet layup may be needed on the area in question.

Carbon is fairly easy to work with. When cutting, diamond tipped bits and cuto off wheels will be desired as carbon is stronger han steel. You can also sand it and grind it with normal paper and discs.

Let me know if anyone else has anymore questions

1 - 19 of 19 Posts