ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Official ClubWRX arms dealer
3,814 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I personally have never owned a rear-wheel-drive performance car before and, I must confess, I cant drive mine very well. :whoa: Coming from a HEAVILY modded WRX, which is easy to launch, and even with 332 WHP did not ever spin between gears, I am completely lost. I drove the car all day today with the traction control in all three modes; TRACTION CONTROL-ON... I assume does what it says, COMPETITION MODE... which basically saves your @ss only at the last minute, and TRACTION-OFF... which takes you back to the late '60s for all day smoking madness. ;)

I tried mashing it from a 15 mph roll in first gear...

TRAC-OFF= Immediately spun tires like CRAZY and proceeded to turn completely sideways.

COMP MODE= Immediately started to spin (not as crazy as the last run) and rear end slides to the left, then right, then left, then right, then...

TRAC-ON= Slight squeeling of tires... up to 3000rpm... still squeeling, 4,000rpm... still squeeling, 4500 rpm... WOAH, now the rpms are climbing and the car's not really moving as fast as it should be??? :confused1

I don't know if the weather and road conditions (30 degrees, and slightly salty roads) had anything to do with it, but anyone with a RWD car and high HP/TQ has to know??? PLEASE HELP ME!!!! :D (Zoophagy?)

HOW THE HELL DO GUYS PULL 12.2 1/4 MILE TIMES WITH THIS THING?!? :mad: :confused: :mad:

·
Registered
345 Posts
I don't own it, but have driven my uncles 03 M3 quite a few times. Basically, you just have to learn over time. It is very easy in RWD to overcompensate causing even more of a side-spin, after driving it a few times I just learned to control it. Pretty much your only way is to practice and just to learn how the car reacts, and with 400hp, it's going to react quite hardly :D . C6 is awesome, my dad is getting one, I can't wait...congrats on an awesome car!

·
Registered
1,375 Posts
02 Bmw M5

I have to say I drive my firends M5 about 3 times a week and it is alot of mods. Approximatly 480 HP. With trac off If I launch really hard slippin in the clutch I get what i feel is normal wheel spin. Maybe 10 feet at most then once it hooks up no matter how hard I hit second, third, or fourth I dont get much more than a clean chirp form the rear wheels. I think it is very difficult to lauch his car with a fully open throttle and not burn the hell out of the clutch. And replacing the clutch on that car is quite spendy. From what i have experienced with vetts when you add alot of HP to those cars they dont seem to hook up incrediably well. I am by no means an experienced driver in that reguard so i am not much af an authority on them but the M5 hooks right up and rolls out. He hasnt ran this one at the track to see what his times would be but his 2000 M5 he had before this one he was in the low 12's. It seems to me that what ever car I own practice makes perfect. The more you drive and more you launch it the better you will get to feeling how much power to apply and how much clutch to apply during your launch. Hopefully you find out with out having to replace to many clutches. Good luck with your endeaver

·
Registered
7,758 Posts
Practice, practice, practice.

I have owned 3 rwd cars in my life, two V8's and one 4 banger. Traction devices help such as traction bars and stickier tires. Stock tires as you know are not the best for performance. You are at the mercy of how your car hooks up right now with it's stock setup.

·
Friendly Neighborhood Spider-Admin
48,699 Posts
Yep, tires come to my mind as the first place to go to improve. (Other than practice...)

·
Registered
569 Posts
Carefully?

I got to rag a C5 from a dealership (friend was salesman) and couldnt get the rears to spin from a rolling start, period. I got to exploit a nearby vacant lot as a test track and it was VERY controllable. J turns, 180 (doughnut) into a straight, all pretty easy to do.

If you can take it to a track and learn it youll be better on the road. Maybe a big lot?

Dont just floor it, feather the throttle if youre having problems.

·
3,814 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yep, tires come to my mind as the first place to go to improve. (Other than practice...)

I just realized, the car does have runcraps! I need stickier tires asap! :cool:

I got to rag a C5 from a dealership (friend was salesman) and couldnt get the rears to spin from a rolling start, period. I got to exploit a nearby vacant lot as a test track and it was VERY controllable. J turns, 180 (doughnut) into a straight, all pretty easy to do.
Keep in mind it is rated at 400HP/ 400 TQ. The average dyno rates the C6 at 368 WHP/ 380 TQ. This suggests underrated power, no? I think sucky tires and conditions don't help, I guess I'll keep tryin'! :wiggles:

·
Premium Member
11,095 Posts
Well if you want to drive the car hard the easiest thing to do is try and find a track day. From my experiance driving RWD cars it something that you have to "work your way into the throttle". Taking a turn at 1/2 throttle and laying into it as you apex is really the only way to do it (I know that sounds like common sense but coming from a wrx which you can almost keep WOT it would be an adjustment).

Just keep on step ahead of the counter steer and aim the car with the gas pedal...and dont touch the brakes. In my mustang I would TAP the brakes to change the momentum of the car countersteer while adjusting throttle. It would surprsingly well. Good luck.

·
Registered
7,956 Posts
it's simple. Your best bet is to get some DR's nice and wide out back. Get the righ psi which you can find from test and tune nights at the track. Suspension and tires make the car.

·
Registered
269 Posts
High HP and RWD is a balancing act. Mashing it from a 15mph roll will always send the tires in smoke. My '98 TA w/ a little over 300hp at the rear wheels could break them loose at 40mph.

Launching a RWD car is a balance between power and traction. Bring the revs up to about 3500, then let the clutch out evenly. Some people modulate the gas, others the clutch. But with practice, you'll learn what the car feels like when the tires are about to let go. It's like a cat's haunches before it springs. Once you get the feeling, you'll be able to launch it much easier. What you want to hear, is a short sharp squeal, almost a squeak. That's the ideal launch. :)

·
Registered
0 Posts
how can you afford an 05 scion and a 05 vette?

·
Registered
2,301 Posts
I know you've got more power than a C5, but I've been driving that for a while now, and I know exactly where you are coming from. Don't you love how the power can still overtake the traction control? :confused1

You have to learn to feather the throttle a LOT. Like has been stated, any WOT will just spin the tires. I tend to go about 3/4 throttle untill I feel (about 4000 rpm's) I can go WOT. The car doesn't like bumpy pavement either, but on a 1/4 mile track you shouldn't see this. The tires aren't that bad, but if you want awesome 1/4 miles, then you should look into something nicer. Don't forget its real light in the rear, and you can't punch it around corners, or it'll come right around on you. I almost found that out the hard way. I could only imagine what an extra 50 hp does.

Just practice and remember you only have 2 powered wheels, not 4 ;)

·
3,814 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
how can you afford an 05 scion and a 05 vette?

It's quite easy, anyone can do it. Simply sell what you don't need. One eye, a kidney, a lung, and a nut.....BAM! ...two brand new cars! ;)

·
Registered
4,936 Posts
Be careful in the rain, if you plan on driving it in the rain, if you feel like you have no traction now, the rain is the worst, i drive my dads 88 vette whenever its nice, but got caught in the rain and drove under 40 home.
uncle lewie

·
Registered
0 Posts
the cold, salty roads defintely aren't going to help your cause, but the other thing is, like said before, practice, practice, practice. also keep in mind that with your old car you put power through 4 wheels which ultimately meant no spinning tires. now, you've got even more power and half as many wheels to route it through. remembering that, you'll roll into the throttle more than you would just mash it. the tires aren't horrible; maybe not the greatest but there's plenty of people who can drive the hell out of the car with them :)

also go onto some corvette forums and get some tips there, even though the M5 guy had some good rwd pointers, every car is unique in certain ways :cool:

·
Registered
185 Posts
First, the tires on your car don't suck.

Now, are you driving a manual or an auto?

Auto, learn to feather the gas. Manual, well to get out of the hole requires more skill at the clutch. Essentially, keep your foot into the gas, but modulate power with the clutch. No, I'm not saying floor the gas, and then use the clutch (unless you want to imitate John Force.)

Of course you have figured out that flooring the gas like you used to do with AWD is a no-no. It's way more controllable if you learn to apply more gas later than applying a lot of gas and then having to back out of it. THAT is where you are probably getting the most trouble.

Like everyone else has said, PRACTICE!!

·
3,814 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
First, the tires on your car don't suck.

Now, are you driving a manual or an auto?

I'm sure a set of street slicks will work much better than my crappy all-season run-flats.

It's a six speed maunual, I'm getting used to it.....slowly. :cool:

·
Registered
2,188 Posts
SOUTHPAW said:
I'm sure a set of street slicks will work much better than my crappy all-season run-flats.

It's a six speed maunual, I'm getting used to it.....slowly. :cool:

You can't even drive the car and you're making judgements about the tires. The tires were designed and tested to be used on a stock vette. I doubt they're ****ty. Right now,those are the best tires for you to drive with. Street slicks would be dangerous for you, and stickier tires will probably lead to you going beyond your driving abilities.

The problem here is that you you're flooring the gas pedal, overpowering the wheels instantly. While the WRX you had was easier, you still modulated the gas to achieve the right amount of acceleration in circumstances. Would you floor the gas in your WRX on a sharp offramp? Any car can lose control, it's just a lot easier with your vette.

This is rather similar to riding a powerful motorcycle. On a lot of sportbikes, if you use all the power available in first or second or even third gear you can wind up flipping over backwards and being smashed into the pavement. You learn to modulate the power to accelerate as fast as you can with available traction and road/car attitude. You will adapt over time to know how much power you can get from the gas pedal, with what range of movement, at every rpm band for every gear. This takes time and practise in safe conditions. Pray you do nothing overly stupid in the meantime.

Just because the engine *has* all that power doesn't mean you *can* use it all of the time. If you can't get used to this, you might want to consider getting rid of it and buying another AWD car. I can't tell you how many people have killed themselves in normally powered RWD cars due to improper experience with the car, and this is even worse for sports cars.

There are many things to learn about handling one of these. Case in point, throttle lift in hard corner at speed = instant death.

P.S. One last thing. Do not ever attempt to downshift to slow that car in a panic stop. Downshifting will only interfere with the brakes, which will stop you quickest without engine braking. It would be very easy to lock those real wheels and throw the car into a spin. Brakes for stopping, gears for driving.

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
My freind has a modded LT1 making some good numbers and he can never get any traction with the stock tires and rear end it spins out all the time.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts