ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
soo just got my tune today on my 2007 subaru wrx, and 3rd gear let go! what do i do? fix it? buy another tranny? whats my cheapest option?

thanks guys

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i do all the work my self, im gunna open up the tranny tomorrow and see what i need. ill add photos of the mess soon!

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
i ended up ordering type sti gear set for 5MT, stronger and more reliable then the OEM. they will be in next weekend

·
Pro Manscaper
21,455 Posts
A what set? JDM? V* set?

Probably was your cheapest option among other things...what kind of power were you putting down after you got tuned?

·
Pro Manscaper
21,455 Posts
Ohhhh gotcha! That will be a great improvement over stock and much better suited to handle your power. Goodluck with the rebuild and post up some pics!

·
Captain James of the SS Impreza has gone down with
8,921 Posts
PPGs.

/thread

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
Good luck with that. Ra and lgt gears and even newer wrx gears are the same strength and slightly cheaper. Built my Lgt gears in my swapped rs (2700 ish lbs so doesn't have to lug around as much weight aka less stress) and just about lost third. Lucky for me it's still drivable till I find an sti trans I like. I put down 319whp and 343 wtq at 20 lbs. I got a retune on the street by the same tuner to 23lbs so I got a little more power out of it. I daily drive it and might rip on it here or there on the highway and only launched the 2.5 swap once a while ago. What it boils down to if you're putting out some decent tq even if you baby it you can still lose a gear.

PPG's to me are over rated. I've known a few that have had issues. One the input shaft snapped on a set up very similar to mine. Another person I met recently had an issue with hers with 5k miles and had to send it back to Andrew Tech. There is one for sale right now on nasioc with one broken tooth on second and have come across plenty with less power then then claim they can handle with broken stuff.

Fast forward to why I'm going 6 speed. For one it's a six speed and a couple exrra mpg's does sound nice along with the shorter gearing. In my 10 plus years being in the Subaru game I have not had one person tell me that they blew a gear in the 6 speed. To me that means something. Plus the sti box is a far better design then the 5 speed split case. Just my thoughts and experiences.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts