ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm a new owner of a 2002 WRX. It's just reached 38k miles, and it's time to replace the tires. I'm new to this world - what are some of the best tires out there? I have to be very budget conscious, so I'm looking for something wich will last a while.

·
2,564 Posts
Welcome! Lots of tire threads in the suspension forum.

Moving...

·
Registered
46 Posts
best tires

If you want all season tire i have had good luck with bfg g-force t/a kdws in both stock size 205/55/16 and 225/50/16. i run the 225's on a set of bbs rims for the summer and the 205's on my wifes legacy rims for the winter. she has them on the stock wrx rims on her legacy(she liked the wrx rims better for her car). very good dry grip, excellent wet grip and good snow traction. they are rated 400 AA/A. tire rack has good prices on them.

·
Registered
841 Posts
stevenjaba said:
I'm a new owner of a 2002 WRX. It's just reached 38k miles, and it's time to replace the tires. I'm new to this world - what are some of the best tires out there? I have to be very budget conscious, so I'm looking for something wich will last a while.
I bought new tires 3 days after I got my car, I have Michelin Pilot Sports 225/50-r16 on the stock rims. They are by far the best tire I have ever used, as long as you don't drive in snow. The only thing is they are pricey (about $150 each), but well worth it. My car used to push a lot in turns, with the stockers. No more with these. These are the OEM tires on a lot of BMW's, Porshes, Mercedes, etc.. My car now has 30k miles and they are almost ready to be replaced, but I drive like a madman....:D ;)

·
Registered
475 Posts
The advice above is good. It's all dependant on price range. If you get summers and you are in a place that gets snow repeat after me... I will buy snow tires ( 3 times ).

para

·
Registered
218 Posts
stevenjaba said:
I'm surprised you got 38K out of your tires. I got about 14K out of mine. I am currently running the Goodyear Eagle F1 GS D3. Great tires and seem to have good life. I have a friend running the sumitomo HTR+ on his car and he is happy with them. He doesn't have a WRX but has a AWD Stealth R/T twin turbo.

·
Registered
112 Posts
? Why isnt anybody mentioning toyos? I was planning on throwing them on as soon as i got some 17's.

In the past, I've always sworn by them- especially when thoese damned bridgestones make me feel like im driving on ice

·
Registered
215 Posts
For all-season (cheap) I'd go with the Sumitomo HTR+ or Falken Ziex ZE-512. If you want the best A/S tire the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S is the one I'd get.

·
Registered
253 Posts
phi11235 said:
? Why isnt anybody mentioning toyos? I was planning on throwing them on as soon as i got some 17's.

In the past, I've always sworn by them- especially when thoese damned bridgestones make me feel like im driving on ice
speak of the devil i just got a set of proxies 4 last friday, night and day difference. The re92 are a pile of regergitated dog trash, and if i had the money i would have replaced them asap. I went with the proxies 4 because we see snow in the metro dc area. They are exellent in the few days of driving them. they can be had for 68 dollars plus 33 or so for shipping. My local tire place matched the price to with in 5 dollars.

Jared

·
Registered
112 Posts
So you give the thumbs up for the Toyo Proxy 4's? I have only run the summer or race tires from toyo, but since I'm "Downsizing the Fleet" as the old battle ax discribes it, I'd like to run some nice tires that will work with the snow too.

Are you running on the stock wheels, or have you upgraded them?

keep us posted about your experiances.

·
Registered
253 Posts
phi11235 said:
So you give the thumbs up for the Toyo Proxy 4's? I have only run the summer or race tires from toyo, but since I'm "Downsizing the Fleet" as the old battle ax discribes it, I'd like to run some nice tires that will work with the snow too.

Are you running on the stock wheels, or have you upgraded them?

keep us posted about your experiances.
stock wheels, but the 225/50 16" sizing. The proxies 4 are very impressive. I have yet to get them to break traction where the re92's would just squeel at half the effort. the car feels planted and solid, much more than teh re92s. If i had the money i would have done this a long long time ago. They have a 300 treadwear rating. and are an all season, ultra high performance. I would recomend them, great price too..

·
Registered
112 Posts
I know this sounds a little out in left feild, but have you taken those proxies off roading at all? Most of the people here take their rexes out for a few nicks in the paint whenever they can. I was just out having fun on some unpaved roads and I was wondering how the Toyos would deal with that

·
Registered
841 Posts
phi11235 said:
I know this sounds a little out in left feild, but have you taken those proxies off roading at all? Most of the people here take their rexes out for a few nicks in the paint whenever they can. I was just out having fun on some unpaved roads and I was wondering how the Toyos would deal with that
I was wondering the same, my Michelins are awesome on road, but are definitely lacking off. :)

·
Registered
253 Posts
yeah its a little in left field lol. Jk.. i don't do any off roading with this car but i can't imagine these being any worse than the re92 in the dirt.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts