Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am going to my first autocross this Sunday. Do I need to buy a helmet? I have a pretty big head (hat size: 7 3/4), so I'm not sure I can count on a loaner.

How much does a good helmet cost? What's the minimum I could spend?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I would suggest not buying a helmet unless you have another use for it. There are a variety of sizes available as loaners at the autocrosses I have been to so it shouldn't be too hard to find one big enough ( my hat size is 7 1/4 and a few helmets were way too big when I borrowed them. If you like autocrossing and think you will do it more than a few times a year buy your own helmet. I suggest getting a Snell SA rated helmet for the fact that many track day events require it and will not let you run with a Snell M version. The SA is for Special Application and M is for Motorcycle. There are a few differences ( Fire retardent lining, Roll bar impact test etc... ) but you may be surprised that if you like autocrossing you may quickly get into track days like I did. As a comparison at an autocross you can spend a good 8+ hour day and get around 3-6 runs or so of 30-60 seconds in for $25. at a track day you can spend the same 8 hours and get 2 or 3 20-30 minute sessions for $65-150+ Do the math and you start to see how dollar per minute of seat time track days are not that expensive. Be aware though that there is a greater risk of injury and car damage along with more wear and maintainence issues for track days if you get into them.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
hey there,
i just started autocrossing, and bought my own helmet for $150, i bought a g-force 750 open face helmet, SA rated from www.racerwholesale.com (dunno if website is correct).

I figured id go for the sa rating in case i ever wanted to do a track day here or there.
I got the small size, they have size conversion charts on all the webpages they sell them helmets on.

mark

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Having a helmet of your own is pretty cool. I'm planning to buy one for autocrossing mainly becuase the temperature is usually really hot when people autocross over the summer and I'm sure those helmets are filled with other people's sweat. Well, that's just me but I sweated a lot last week when I went autocrossing and I got a gross farmer's tan that I've been trying to even out for the past few days ;)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for your suggestions.

I think I will go sans helmet this Sunday and hope they have a loaner that fits. If I like autox a lot, I will buy a SA2000 helmet. I haven't decided yet between full vs. open.

I get grossed out by the thought of sticking my head in a loaner helmet. Maybe I'll find my balaclava. That'd help.

And yes, I bought my own bowling shoes too (even though I only use them once a year).

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
hahaah sorry if I grossed you out Mark, but yeah I'm going ot get myself a helmet too soon.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Since I assume your all in I-Club, I would suggest a pretty good thread that was in there a couple days ago on this. Not sure if it was in WRX NON-Technical or Motorsports.

The concensus was full-face helmets are the best and really don't block your vision much.(and a bonus if you ever decide to get a Motorcycle). Open Face work, but might be less effective. I went looking around at various helmets. But I think I've got to determine a good place to autocross more regularly before I do. So far I've just done the one PCA Autocross last weekend.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I just got an email from the event coordinator. He said all their loaners are size L. (my melon is 7 3/4, the upper range of XL)
:(

So I guess I'm gonna try to find a helmet at lunchtime. I'm thinking of going for the cheapest M2000 helmet I can find.

I will probably go open faced, unless I can get a great deal on a full face. I have zero interest in motorcycles and don't want to shell out bucks right now.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I just got an HJC CL5 m2000 openfaced helmet for $100.

I almost passed it by, since it was unpriced and simply said "Snell Approved" on the back (which often means Snell M95) . Luckily, I looked inside and saw the m2000 hologram sticker.

Everyplace on the web I've seen refers to this helmet as M95. Be on the lookout for bargains, I think this helmet was priced low because the store owners thought it was outdated.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
If your'e thinking about any track events those motorcycle helmets won't cut it.

(Just a little reminder)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts