ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all

Great community here, I've been lurking for the last couple of days as I'm considering a 2012 WRX or WRX STi purchase. I test drove a WRX 5 door earlier this week, and thought that the exhaust noise in the cabin was loud, possibly would drive my wife mad especially at low revs. Today we test drove a WRX STi 4 door, and it was definitely much quieter, easily OK with my wife.

Does anyone know if the noise level was because on the 5 door, there's little between the underside / outside of the car compared with the 4 door, it having a trunk and all? Or, is it something to do with differences in the exhaust systems between the STi and the standard WRX? The WRX had the Performance Exhaust System option installed also, so not sure if that makes any difference.

Dumb question I know, and most people on here probably want noisier, but there ya go.

Thanks in advance for any help.Chris

·
Registered
188 Posts
Never drive a STI but I did just pick up a 2012 5 door two weeks ago and the exhaust note is actually much quieter than expected. I'll warn you now, if stock it is too loud, then I would recommend looking at some alternatives. Reason being, you will want to start modding the car and once you do that, it will only get louder. Again, I personally think it is super quiet in my 5 door. I can't wait to put an exhaust so I can hear that beautiful boxer sound. Good luck

·
Registered
169 Posts
The hatch is a little louder, but way more practical.
You should bring your wife for a test drive and ask her if it bothers her. My wife likes my car, and she's not a car person.

·
Registered
205 Posts
So the WRX Hatch had the SPT Exhaust? The reason why it was loud is due to it having a Performance Exhaust. You get used to the sound of the car. When I test drove my WRX, I thought it was the loudest car in the world. It still had the stock exhaust on it as well. Now, I think it's really quiet compared to others lol.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks all for the quick replies. Sounds like it's a combination of the SPT exhaust and the hatch.

Do people generally favor the hatch or the sedan these days? Seems like a hatch is harder to get hold of, but I could be wrong.

·
Premium Member
10,822 Posts
Do people generally favor the hatch or the sedan these days? Seems like a hatch is harder to get hold of, but I could be wrong.
Depends on your needs.I have a hatch because I have strollers & stuff & need the extra space.

Availability should be the same for both.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Thanks all for the quick replies. Sounds like it's a combination of the SPT exhaust and the hatch.

All personal taste in my opinion. I like hatches better.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts