ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 99 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi,All.
I bought a Black 2005 WRX STi yesterday.
It's got 45K miles,clean CarFax,one owner,no 'mods,(other than a CF trunk,the original is also included)
It's clean as clean can be,it seems to me.
(I paid $22K,imo that's a pretty decent deal,from all of my research,am I right?)

Important:
I pick it up Monday,is there anything I should know,or adjust,before a 120 mile drive home?

I know the car has a lot of gadgetry and I'll read the book,just not,preferably,in the dealer's parking lot!
(I'm didn't buy it from a Subie dealer,it's a Jeep dealership,and they have No Clue what an STi is all about.)
I bought the STi as a winter car,my 2004 RX-8 simply won't do in Maine winters,and I didn't want another truck or SUV,so the STi seemed a logical compromise.
(You may laugh out loud at that statement-I just like to go fast,year-round!)
I'll admit,I bought this car knowing that it's a badass ride,but I didn't delve too deeply into the specifics,just the overview. Silly me,300 ft/lbs of torque-that must have been what blew me back in my seat on the test drive!
Unlike my RX8,the STi has no warranty,so I can feel free to 'mod the hell out of it with no regard to 'factory specs'.
What's the best,first 'mod you can make?
All right,enough of my questions,here's a few pictures of my rides.
This looks like a great resource,I'm glad to be here!

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the kind words.
Yeah,this STi's not bad,for stock.
Now I just have to figure which $5K worth of 'mods (the initial 'mod budget) will make it a real pants-sh*tter.
I wanted silver,but the deal on this black STi was so good,I couldn't pass it up.
My friends say I'll sell the RX8 after I get heavy into the STi-two told me that yesterday,when I called to tell 'em I bought the car.
We'll see,I owned a 1980 RX-7,the 8 was somewhat a nostalgia purchase,and outside of the heinous gas milage (16,beating it around town) it's been a blast to drive and own.
(The rotary engine's a bit technical and over-the-top to modify,the STi promises to be a bit simpler,imo-)
Has anybody got a overall,general best-parts site to shop for STi 'mods?
This promises to be fun.....

·
Registered
1,539 Posts
congrats

·
Registered
96 Posts
Congrats on the STi!

I was going to buy an RX-8 myself, but the northeast demands something more versatile. But those mazda rx's are a BLAST to drive.

Try taking the STi to stage 2, from what I hear and felt that's a sweet setup. I don't have an STi myself, but you'll figure out what stage 2 consists of over time. Should be easy and relatively cheap. HAVE FUN!:cool:

·
Hammerdown Mod of Thunder
24,023 Posts
You will need to get some winter tires for that bad boy.

·
Registered
483 Posts
awd or not if you have z tires on that badboy youll be using a tree as an ebrake this winter. get some good rubbers and get thru the cold

·
Registered
1,381 Posts
Gotta love a black STi. $5k for a mod budget should serve you well. Do some research. The STi is superior to the RX-8 in most ways, sell the 8, invest proceeds into STi. BTW, you'll need alot of wax.

·
Registered
617 Posts
if you have stock tires on that bad boy, definitely invest in some good winter tires. AWD or not the stock tires are like ice-skates on snow.

Congrats on the purchase and welcome to da club!

·
Administrator ...De Rerum Natura
20,139 Posts
Welcome to the Club!

The STi looks sweet!:)

·
Registered
12 Posts
That is one sweet ride mate.
Black is the new silver, lol Push it hard and
keep the mods coming! Enjoy your new toy and
Welcome to the thread!

·
Pro Manscaper
21,455 Posts
awd or not if you have z tires on that badboy youll be using a tree as an ebrake this winter. get some good rubbers and get thru the cold

Usually works with my girl during the winter too:rotfl:

Kingofparts.com
fastwrx.com
jscspeed.com
rallysportdirect.com

all reputable sites. Personal favorite is king of parts because they are good people (they all are, but Tristan at KOP is a friend of mine)

Downpipe and engine management are the simplest starters for upping the power.

Searching these forums will be your best friend cause there is TONS of info on that subject. Goodluck and enjoy dude!

·
Registered
5,825 Posts
welcome, sti has only 300 torque not 330. Also idk what kinda tires they have on that thing but the stockers will not be any help for you in the snow. Lots of threads about first mods including a sticky, check em out, they'll help you out. Most people go with an exhaust system + reflash. oh and have fun with it.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Good Bridgestone RE050's on right now,I'll get full winter tires (Maine) and next summer go to a fresh,new set of RE050A Pole Position rubber.
For now,am gonna' have fun shredding these 050's before the tire switch in November-I pick up the car tomorrow at noon! :)

·
Registered
855 Posts
Welcome, this site and IWSTi.com will be very helpful on your search for good mods.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Added Today:

Sparco seat belt pads
GReddy radiator cap

Ordered:
(And to be installed next week-)

HKS Carbon-Ti cat-back exhaust
HKS Downpipe
HKS Intake (Stainless)

Next:
Cobb Accessport

I picked up the car Saturday,so it's off to a quick start. I also put my RX-8 in storage.....

1 - 20 of 99 Posts