Subaru WRX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought some Hellas a while back and I plan on installing them soon. I like the beeps I have when I hit the lock/unlock buttons on my car already, and don't feel like waking up the neighbors when I leave early or get home late. I'm hoping to relocate the OEM horn out of the way, and maybe keep it on while I hit the steering wheel horn.

What I'm trying for:
Hellas
Beep while hitting the horn on the steering wheel
Stay off while locking/unlocking the car

OEM
Beep while hitting the horn on the steering wheel
Beep while locking/unlocking the car

Has anyone done this before? Obviously doing this is more for the convenience of being sure the car is locked while walking away from it, but I think it would be doable. I found a wiring booklet, but even as a mechanical engineering student who has gone through a couple electrical courses, it still looks like chicken scratch. I'll try to post pictures of the diagrams later today.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
So! Here is the diagram.

Looking at it, it looks pretty daunting. Also, if I remember correctly, isn't there only one horn on these cars to begin with?

Hmm.. looking at this is kind of fun. It's like a puzzle that is somewhat coming to me, but if someone wants to put their head together with mine I could figure it out a lot quicker.

And there's back to the source.

·
Premium Member
6,716 Posts
I would run a whole new positive wire from where the factory horn plugs into the harness in the steering column to a [new] relay. Ground the relay, and run an additional (larger gauge) positive from a constant power source to the Hellas.. leave the OEM untouched if that's how you want it. No need to bother with looking at a wiring schematic since you're basically doing nothing with the factory wiring, you're just adding aftermarket on top of the factory stuff.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I would run a whole new positive wire from where the factory horn plugs into the harness in the steering column to a [new] relay. Ground the relay, and run an additional (larger gauge) positive from a constant power source to the Hellas.. leave the OEM untouched if that's how you want it. No need to bother with looking at a wiring schematic since you're basically doing nothing with the factory wiring, you're just adding aftermarket on top of the factory stuff.
Duh.. Yeah that makes a lot more sense. My whole evening was spent thinking about ways to keep these horns in parallel with the others while bypassing the horn signal.. in class we never did anything with relays, so I'm gonna look into what a relay is and how to use one first before understanding fully.. but I'm pretty sure I get what you're saying. So I could just tap into the harness. Would that be above the horn relay or below it? Then the other matter is finding something that has power, and it doesn't matter if it has power when the car is off because I won't need the alarm beepers. Perfect. Just found a good spot in the main fuse/relay box to locate the new relay. This is actually turning out better than I had hoped

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator (Actually a SuperSpy)
19,574 Posts
There are THREE horns.

The alarm uses the one bolted to the McPherson, NOT the two in the nose.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Tap the horn fuse and use a relay that turns on when the car is on, you could even tap one of the headlights fuses for the relay. Good luck

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
There are THREE horns.

The McPherson? I swapped all my MacPherson struts and didn't see a horn down there at all.. also I looked last night and could only find one horn in the bumper area. It was also really dark out, so maybe I didn't look hard enough.

·
19,574 Posts
We may have different Cars? On mine the third horn is on a bracket attached to the damper bolts on the right side near the firewall. There are two in the nose behind the grille.

·
19,574 Posts
Then we have the same model. The stock config was 3 horns as described with the 3rd dedicated to the alarm and the 2 in the nose being regular horns.

·
19,574 Posts
There must be a harness clip near the cover for the boost controller for that 3rd horn.

·
19,574 Posts
Sides are defined from a seated person’s perspective. In the USA the right side is the passenger side.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Well as I was on my drive home I got smart. When I got home, I popped the hood and put my head by the passenger side strut and hit the lock button. The noise came from the front 2 horns. I kept looking for the third horn but couldn't find it. Either way, I think I'm back to @MainFrame and @SubieDinner ideas

·
19,574 Posts

·
Water.....sometimes waves
1,611 Posts
Wowwwwwww............. That's an 03? I have an 03 Buick and an 02 GMC and both look completely different than that - corrosion everywhere. Hades, my 15 WRX has more corrosion than that! Sometimes I hate Ohio :piss:

·
19,574 Posts
That's an 02 in SoCal. It only sees snow when I go to the mountain. However, the environment near the ocean tends to corrode things as well -- though nothing like actual salt on the tarmac.

·
Æternum
15,471 Posts
Is this true? I seem to recall removing the horn on the strut tower and still retaining the alarm. It has been many years.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Is this true? I seem to recall removing the horn on the strut tower and still retaining the alarm. It has been many years.

It seems mine was removed.. I still have the alarm though.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts