ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just picked up a Helix uppipe with an egt bung.. should I install the egt or block it out and use the 2.2kohm fix?

what does everone do?

is it true that the egt will fail sooner because the pre-cat is gone and the temp is higher?

As much as possible, I'd like to use the egt in there so that if the temp ever goes too high, I'd know.. and that I tried looking for a bolt to plug the port with, but haven't found one that fits!!

·
Registered
128 Posts
i have the same uppipe not yet installed. but i will install the factory EGT, for whatever it is worth. i got it from SP Engineering. they said use it.

·
Registered
433 Posts
Correct me if Im wrong, but shouldnt eliminating cats actually reduce EGT's? Less restriction the more freely the exhaust gasses will flow should result in a lower temperature.

-Griffin

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
From what I understand the EGT sensor is there to monitor the cat material. Once the cat is gone it is not needed anymore and poses a threat of breaking down and getting ingested into the turbo.

IMO leave it out. I am.

·
Registered
397 Posts
I put the stock egt sensor back in my txs uppipe. That was about a year ago. No problems. I personally don't think it matters much. If I ever get around to it I will probably take it out, but I'm not going to make a special effort to do it.

·
Registered
2,660 Posts
rickyh said:
I put the stock egt sensor back in my txs uppipe. That was about a year ago. No problems. I personally don't think it matters much. If I ever get around to it I will probably take it out, but I'm not going to make a special effort to do it.
You don't need it like rickyh said. It won't hurt unless it breaks, but thats unlikely. You may actually get a CEL saying the EGTs are too LOW since the cat is gone.....

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks guys..

I really want to leave it in there just incase for some reason that the EGT is getting very high, so I'd know at least... I'm going to put it in and see what happens.. if I keep getting CEL's I'll do the resistor mod..

I've been reading sooo many different reasons why it is not necessary and one of them was that the temp get's to high and burns off the EGT.. conversly, I read that without cat it should actually be lower... don't knwo who to believe..

1 - 9 of 9 Posts