Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
From what I've read.. its a twin to the Nvidia Downpipe. People who have it.. all seem to have postive things to say about it.

I'm getting it soon :)

·
Registered
4,328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Cameron. I thought it looked a hell of alot like the Invidia. How much are you getting it for and where are you getting it from?

·
Registered
65 Posts
hehe ok

·
Registered
115 Posts
i live in indiana so have to worry about rusting due to salt laid down during snow.

i'm looking into downpipes and want a bellmouth. trying to decide between helix and invidia.

i think i read the helix isnt fully stainless steel like the invidia, will i have rust issues...makeing the invidia a better pipe for my residence?

·
Registered
86 Posts
Helix is the twin of Invidia. The fitment issues were resolved long ago and no one should worry about them. Two of my buddies have already installed theirs after mine with absolutely no issues with rubbing. Low end spoolup is great with the added torque. Boost pressure does not change with this mod. Have fun.

·
Registered
383 Posts
The top part of the downpipe is cast iron (that seems to be coated with something, see pics) and should last at least as long as the factory header. The welds look great, and it has 1/2" flanges that are beautiful. No time to install yet, so we'll see how that goes (doing helix uppipe at same time...it's beautiful too). Some pics:

VV

·
Registered
312 Posts
wow, that is pretty. 2 metal compositions on one piece would somewhat worry me, though.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I just installed the helix up-pipe and downpipe combo from gruppe-s. The only issues i have with the downpipe is the bolt on the bottom right stud(looking from the bottom of the car) seems not to fit. So I grinded it down to make it fit, and I could not torque that bolt down either. The other problem is the exhaust leak between the factory cat-back and the downpipe, besides those problems I love the it. No issuses with the up-pipe though just make sure you get new studs, Ace Hardware took care of that m10x1.25 42mm automotive studs works perfectly any thing longer will not work.

jeff

·
Registered
115 Posts
VetteVert said:
The top part of the downpipe is cast iron (that seems to be coated with something, see pics) and should last at least as long as the factory header. The welds look great, and it has 1/2" flanges that are beautiful. No time to install yet, so we'll see how that goes (doing helix uppipe at same time...it's beautiful too).

VV
will cast iron rust? i know i'm good with stainless steel.....

the car is going to be stored winters, so its not a huge issue, but i may take it out once or twice for some awd snowcrossing and videotaping done every winter with all my friends owning awd dsm's and suby's.

·
Registered
383 Posts
Personally, I'm not worried about it. Like I said, it is coated with something...could be a rust inhibitor, could just be paint. But the factory header is cast iron, the turboxs uppipe is cast iron, etc. etc. I just don't believe FHI or TXS would have gone that route if there were durability issues.

VV

P.S. My car is a winter vehicle and will see lots of snow/salt, so we'll see I guess ;)

j-speed racer said:
will cast iron rust? i know i'm good with stainless steel.....

the car is going to be stored winters, so its not a huge issue, but i may take it out once or twice for some awd snowcrossing and videotaping done every winter with all my friends owning awd dsm's and suby's.

·
Registered
312 Posts
dsm motors are cast iron....

...and yes, they rust. i know of people whos engines 4g63's have gone because there was a hole in the block, and all the oil drained out. eventually, it will rust.

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
Hey Aj: If you want to get that thing ceramic coated I think the guys at cartek in Riverside owe me one. I can probably get a discount.

·
Registered
383 Posts
I'm sorry, but this is humorous. Think about the percentage of cast iron vs. alum. engine blocks... Do you think that there are significantly more iron blocks vs. alum. because they have durability problems? I'm not talking about the Helix here, it may be good or bad as I've yet to see, but I'm referring to your 4g63 comment. If this happened, something abnormal was involved. I've pulled small block V8s out of cars in junkyards that have been sitting in weeds for probably 20 years with nothing but surface oxidation. Bake that puppy and it's good as new. Being iron is not inherently a bad thing.

VV

happasaiyan said:
dsm motors are cast iron....

...and yes, they rust. i know of people whos engines 4g63's have gone because there was a hole in the block, and all the oil drained out. eventually, it will rust.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts