Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
895 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
well last week i let my friend drive my car for a little bit, and boy was he suprised :D he was like "whoa! theres so much power" and i just turned to him and nodded ;) then we switched, and i gave him a little "demonstration" of the AWD traction by pulling out of the parking lot and flooring the car w/o spinning out or fishtailing or squeaking the tires - he was definetly impressed.

hehe, i think now he'll stop calling my car just a "lil 4 banger"
:D

·
Registered
401 Posts
nice..yea everyone i have taken in my car and given a little taste of its potential comeout saying "WHOA, I didnt know it could handle so good!!"
peace

·
Registered
9,138 Posts
UntouchableRSX said:
the beauty of all-wheel drive. (do i have to put a little r if a say that??:confused: )
:confused:

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
Trailboss516 said:
He's referring to the fact that it's a registered trademark of Subaru, and thus he should put the little "r". I never know if it's a little r, or the little "tm" or perhaps the c with a circle around it.... I know, just put 'em all down!;)

·
Registered
15 Posts
WRXed said:

He's referring to the fact that it's a registered trademark of Subaru, and thus he should put the little "r". I never know if it's a little r, or the little "tm" or perhaps the c with a circle around it.... I know, just put 'em all down!;)
hehehe... good idea:D :D

·
Registered
9,138 Posts
Ohh, stupid me. I thought there was some reference to a "Type R" joke I was missing.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Well assuming your friend's GT is a '99 and newer, then you guys should be a dead heat in a race from a stop with him getting the nod from a roll. Also assuming you are both stock.

I think turbo cars feel like they pull harder than NA. My brother's VR4 that traps around 105-mph feels like it pulls harder than my car which should trap around 115-mph now. Weird. :) Got to love that AWD though! ;)

·
895 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
lets not forget that mine is modded, whereas his 'stang only has an air filter and exhaust ;)

·
Registered
23 Posts
Also assuming you are both stock
Oops! Then ignore my quote then. Sorry, I have a bad short term memory! :D:D

·
Registered
278 Posts
FASST LN said:
Well assuming your friend's GT is a '99 and newer, then you guys should be a dead heat in a race from a stop with him getting the nod from a roll. Also assuming you are both stock.

I think turbo cars feel like they pull harder than NA. My brother's VR4 that traps around 105-mph feels like it pulls harder than my car which should trap around 115-mph now. Weird. :) Got to love that AWD though! ;)

Hm, I think stock vs. stock, a WRX will have an advantage from a stop big time. Even if the GT is a manual, the WRX still runs 0-60 and 1/4 quicker. The GT is fast, but not that fast.

Now, its very easy to mod both cars so who knows once that happens. But the WRX runs mid to low 5s and the GT runs high 5s, low 6s most of the time.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Maybe I am thinking of the Cobra, but I thought the GT ran 0-60 in 5.5-seconds. It runs the 1/4 at about 14.0 around 101-mph right? Isn't that right there with a stock WRX?

Now doubt the WRX is going to yank the GT's chain with 1.8 (and maybe 1.7?) sixty foots while the GT would be doing well to achieve a 2.0! :D:D

·
Registered
278 Posts
FASST LN said:
Maybe I am thinking of the Cobra, but I thought the GT ran 0-60 in 5.5-seconds. It runs the 1/4 at about 14.0 around 101-mph right? Isn't that right there with a stock WRX?

Now doubt the WRX is going to yank the GT's chain with 1.8 (and maybe 1.7?) sixty foots while the GT would be doing well to achieve a 2.0! :D:D
You might be correct. I'd defer to an expert on this one. I have to admit, there's a bit of mag racing in my post. I have seen '02 times on the GT to be as high as 6.2 0-60...which is mid to high 14s in the 1/4 mile run. But I just saw another post from a credible poster that said GT's run low to mid 14s which is comparable to the WRX.

I don't know though. Stock GT - anyone know what they really run???

·
Registered
23 Posts
Well, if you and I are both quoting 0-60 times then we are both magazine racing. :) I watched a friend who had never been to a track before run his '00 GT convertible to a 14.4 around 98-mph. So I would think the hardtop is good for 14.0's around 100-mph, but that is the only first-hand experience I've had with a stock newer GT. They aren't half bad cars really, it is just that the '98's and older GT's have given them a bad name with their 14.5 to 15-second quarter miles. :);)

·
Registered
29 Posts
Stock times for mustang GTs vary alot based on driver.

99-02 GT 13.7 to 14.5
96-98 Gt 14.8 to 15.5
94-95 GT 14.3 to 15
88-93 GT 14.0 to 14.8

Those times are around the best and worst that I have seen the cars run.

·
Registered
278 Posts
WingNut said:
Stock times for mustang GTs vary alot based on driver.

99-02 GT 13.7 to 14.5
96-98 Gt 14.8 to 15.5
94-95 GT 14.3 to 15
88-93 GT 14.0 to 14.8

Those times are around the best and worst that I have seen the cars run.
Goddamn! OK, like I said, I prefer to defer to an expert and I'd say you're pretty credible. I own a RSX-S and now I really wonder how people that drive my car, even lightly to mildly modified have claimed a kill over one.

I am a car enthusiast so before you start bashing Honda, realize I am on your side here! Best stock times for an RSX-S that I've seen is 14.9..w/ intake, exhaust and headers you're still only mid 14s.

Anyway, thanks for quoting those numbers. Now I know for sure to cheat when I race a GT :) LIke "go on the count of three" and take off on 2 or something...just kidding, I'd never do that.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Smokey,
there are a lot of ricers who own RSX's and a lot of jerks that own GT's. So some people from both camps are going to lie (which is true for any car, so I'm not just singling these guys out :) ). Also, those times that guy posted are by enthusiast who enjoy their car enough to even take it to a track. Most Joe Schmoes on the street probably won't be able to drive it that well so add about a half second to all of those times to get what some people might run on the street. So if you get a 15-second GT driver against a 14.9 second RSX-S, then strange things might happen. But in most of those cases it is the GT DRIVER who is losing and not the car. Just my two cents.

(One time I got mauled by a vert. LX with three guys in it from a 20-mph roll when my SS was new. The reason was because I was in second gear. By seventy I had stopped their pulling, but they were a god 5-7 cars ahead already. Lesson learned, torque is nice, but it doesn't replace a good DOWNSHIFT!!! :D:D:D )

·
895 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
i can regularly beat my friends GT from a stop, a roll, anything basically <60mph - but on the highway, its a whole differnt story - there, its still a close race, but he pulls on me - its the gearing in the wrx. ::sigh:: i just want an STi 6spd tranny and i'll stop complaining :D

·
Banned
7,636 Posts
i've had plenty of stoplights to 60 with GT's, and i've never lost. <shrug> maybe it's the driver, but i'm not fantastic, so i doubt it. i DO believe you are quoting the COBRA, which is going to be faster from the roll no doubt, and in the 1/4, should win, depending on how bad they handle their burnout.

dR

1 - 20 of 25 Posts