Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i am putting on a m2 turbo back exhaust. the heat shield from the turbo will not go back on without me cutting it. is it ok for me to leave it off. i was told by a subaru shop that the heat shield is only to prevend someone from putting their hands on it if they are working on the car. i guess my question is will it hurt anythning if i leave it off. it will be a pain in the a$$ to cut it.
thanks to anyone with advise.

·
Registered
1,532 Posts
I've got all mine off still after my uppipe install. The short answer is no, it won't hurt. I figure that heat soak (mainly the IC) is prevented by all the air moving around with the car moving, and it isn't a problem.

Try a search for "heat shield". I know we had a thread on this not too long ago, but I am too lazy to search for it myself.

misterx-be nice.

Jay

·
Moderating U!
4,192 Posts
Cotway,

It is not that hard to cut the heat shield. I wouldn't take the entire heat shield off for any period of time. Think why they call it a heat shield? Not only does it save your hands from getting burned, it also keeps some of the heat away from your intercooler. Any more heat build up in your engine compartment is lost horsepower in my mind. Try this link. This will help you a lot.

Try this link. This will help you a lot.

http://www.scoobymods.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=110&highlight=heat+shield

Its alright chickencow, he got EDITED!!! Remarks that negative will not help the club or anyone else.

Kurlee Daddee
(THE ORIGINAL)

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
I say take the time and cut the heatshield! I originally installed my TurboXS downpipe without re-installing the heatshield and noticed that my air conditioning performance was diminished, and my underhood temps were SKY HIGH!

I couldn't believe that little piece of metal kept that much heat out of the engine bay where I could feel it after a hard run.

I cut my factory turbo heatshield and re-installed it - wow - really nice! I could feel the increased A/C performance (a MUST here in year-round humid Honolulu) and as another plus - I could adjust my JoeP MBC (mounted on the intercooler mounting bracket) without busting out the MechanixWear gloves when setting my boost. :)

·
Registered
559 Posts
I will change my exhaust,,and now i am worried with the heatshield issue.
Why the downpipe dont fit with the heatshield?
Is there any downpipe that fits perfectly without cutting the heat shield??
I am planning on using a SS downpipe with no cat.how can i keep my heat shield?
Thanks
Tuca

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
most downpipes are larger than the stock and the heat shild will not fit over the larger downpipe. you will have to cut the heatshield to make it fit. that is what i am going to do next week. there are good instructions on subiemods.com

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
The heatshield trim isn't that big of a deal. For my TurboXS downpipe I had to drill out the rivets that secure the top portion of the heatshield to the bottom. I discarded the bottom piece.

I then took INDUSTRIAL sheetmetal nibblers and and after having traced the portion that I wanted to cut off - just started taking chunks out of the metal. I then used tin snips to clean up the job (it doesn't have to be perfect because you would be hard pressed to try and see the portion that you are working on from the engine bay) and voila!

Just make sure that you leave the 3 mounting points for the heathsield bracket-to-downpipe bracket and you're set!

·
Registered
3,551 Posts
Tuca -- there is a heatshield where the uppipe is, and you will have to cut it when you put your uppipe due to the higher relocation of the exhaust bung. It's really not that hard. If you haven't seen these instructions yet, then here they are.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts