ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just installed a invidia dp and i cannot get the f'ing heat shield back on. Is modification needed to even get it close to fitting? I'm so frustrated and need to get this done as I have to work early!!!! HELP

·
Premium Member
13,124 Posts
It's not going to fit without modification.

I cut mine to fit.

If you don't have time to finish it tonight, you can leave it off until you get home from work. It's not that serious :)

·
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
5,808 Posts

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Check out the last page of Cobb's downpipe install guide.

http://www.cobbtuning.com/v/vspfile...COBB_Tuning_Downpipe_Install_Instructions.pdf

You definitely need to cut it, they give you an outline of exactly where you should cut, or alternatively, you can buy an aftermarket heat shield for around $50.
This saved my life! THANK YOU all for quick response, feeling the love from my fellow Subaru owners. Got er cut to fit and re-installed inter cooler. Exhaust sounds AMAZING! Too bad I just finished and I have to wake up at 5.... Adam, I'll be in touch for the heat shield!

·
Registered
17 Posts
i ran mine for about 3 days without a heatshield till i found the time to mod my stock one. as long as you dont drive like a ricer and try to race someone every time you hit a red light you will be fine. took me all but 15 minutes to mod my stock one with a reciprocating saw and a dremel to sand down the rough edges.

·
Registered
510 Posts
branching off the OP.... my heat shield is currently off and considering the headache it was to get off and the new TurboXS downpipe, I'm considering not putting it back on. I am considering cutting the rubber guard on the inside of the scoop that keeps air flowing over the intercooler, in order to force more air through the engine bay and balance out not having the head shield. mods will be SPT short ram intake, Cobb AP Stage II, TurboXS catless TBE.. all on a 2004 WRX with 75,600 miles.

·
The Member
4,146 Posts
The heat shield isn't really there to keep heat out of the engine bay. It's there to keep heat in the turbo.

While it won't do damage by keeping it off, you should have one on to keep your turbo functioning properly.

·
Registered
6,751 Posts
The heatshield is there to keep heat in the turbo, not keep heat out of the rest of the engine bay. The hotter the turbo is, the more efficiently it operates. So by cutting the rubber guard you're actually making things worse by cooling the turbo down more.

Reactions: brew04

·
Pro Manscaper
21,455 Posts

·
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
5,808 Posts
Sorry I lost it when I read this :rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:
Well, the OP has a 2010 WRX, which has the plastic end caps on the intercooler, unlike the solid metal ones on older years. It's a more valid question for those than it would be for the 02-08 all aluminum intercoolers.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts