Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Okay this has been driving me crazy. Basically my car makes a sound that can only be described as metal grinding coming from the passenger side under the dash. The noise happens for a second after I go over a bump or if I'm turning. After quite a few turns the noise will stay but stop when the car comes to a stop so it is connected to the speed of the car. Its not connected to revs and it will stay whether the AC is on or off.

Does anyone have any idea what this could be?

EDIT: I also wanted to say that it really sounds like its coming from the dash or vents.

EDIT 2: Upon further testing it seems like it has nothing to do with A/C fans or the dashboard. I drove the car for awhile to get the noise to start and rolled down my windows, it has the symptoms of a bad wheel bearing. Grinding noise on right wheel when doing hard left turns, sometimes it goes away and othertimes it stays for the rest of the ride. Will replace the wheel bearing and update.

·
Super Moderator
11,734 Posts
Yeah just enough to check the axles and driveshaft joints. The CVs can be tough but a torn boot is a surefire sign it's dead. The driveshaft should be rocksolid with zero movement

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah just enough to check the axles and driveshaft joints. The CVs can be tough but a torn boot is a surefire sign it's dead. The driveshaft should be rocksolid with zero movement
Alright, will check and update post for anyone with similar issues. Thanks for your help!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts