Subaru WRX Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So i have a 2015 wrx base model and i am not happy with the look or performance of the stock headlights. I have been tying to decide which course to take. I could replace the entire headlight with an aftermarket for a **** ton of money, get and led bulb kit, or get an hid bulb upgrade kit. For the money i am almost thinking of just upgrading to high performace halogen bulbs. Anyone have some input on the topic.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I upgraded my '18 halogen headlights with Sylvania ZXE Silverstar. The light is much brighter, whiter and for sure made a difference at night. I hated the yellow stock bulbs.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Go to subispeed.com

There are plenty of headlight mods for your car.

C-Light DRL mod, (Diode dynamics) get the harness. Get some led's for the high beams/fogs. Black out housing.

Now you have a much more aggressive looking front end. I think all those mods come out to be around $300

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the input. For now I think I might just go with the ZXE Silverstar bulb set and the black out overlay that covers the turn signal and a little of the top of the headlight. I would like to black out the headlights but the idea of pulling apart the housing to smoke them always makes me nervous.

·
Registered
370 Posts
i have an 18 base wrx, i think they havent changed the headlights since 2015 tho? earlier this year i tried to put led's into the high beam bulb but it turned my drl's into high beams because the power the car puts into the halogens for drl mode is enough to fully illuminate the led's... so i returned them as even during broad daylight highbeams can be a bit distracting to other drivers. its probably as simple as adding a resistor to the circuit but im no electronics engineer. i did take the car out one night as they are not turned on when the headlights are on. the light probably didnt shoot out any farther than stock but it illuminated a much larger area, and the area illuminated was far brighter, i liked them a lot, too bad it was horrible during the day.

if you want a cool looking c light drl you have to pull the housing apart on a base wrx, probably premium as well. i think only the limited comes with a cool looking c light, and its not too difficult to make that your drl. the c light on the base wrx isnt even a c light its just a little yellow bulb, you can make it your drl with the same harness but it looks even worse than stock imo.

at some point i am going to try to upgrade the headlights to hid due to amazons awesome return policy. ive been told you cant just swap a halogen for an hid, you have to change the housing because even a slight change in the position/shape of the spark will dramatically change the beam pattern. but if its free to find out i may as well try it, as some people claim it works perfectly.

·
Super Moderator
10,966 Posts
You can’t put hid in reflectors because it just blinds the crap out of everyone. You may as well just drive around with your high beams on and aimed at oncoming traffic.

Check your local laws, I’ve been told any housing not provided by the oem or a direct equivalent replacement in some locations is not road legal

·
Registered
370 Posts
well only the high beam is a reflector, the headlight is a projector(i guess i should start calling it low beam eh), and like i said, i dont exactly have high hopes of it working. if i didn't have access to such a return policy as amazons i wouldn't take the gamble at all.

tbh the law in this case is irrelevant, im not going to drive around blinding people, i do not need the government holding my hand to ensure that. if a cop sees my normal, non obnoxious headlights and thinks "wtf wrx's dont have hids, even tho im not blinded at all im going to investigate this" and gives me a ticket so be it. people drive around with windshield tints all the time, they wouldn't be doing it if they got tickets every day, and it is definitely more dangerous, assuming the headlights work out perfectly there is no problem.

·
Registered
80 Posts
If you can, either do a retrofit or buy STi version with the factor D2S HID projector and pair it with Xenarc CBH or CBB. It's ridiculous how much light it puts out.

LED is garbage for most projectors no matter what as the light output gets cutoff with a very focused hot spot that just doesn't give a very even light on the ground.

I will say for my high beam I use the XHP70 bulb that puts out 6,500 lumens per bulb. I have the DRL disconnected so they don't flicker but it's an amazing pair with the STi HID's. Highly recommended :)

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The new subispeed smoked red headlights would look great with my black paint but i would not pay 1200 for that when there is so much else i want to do to my car. I also heard that some of their products are a bit cheap and faulty.

·
Master Baiter
12,649 Posts
1 - 12 of 12 Posts