Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On Friday I had 3m clear bra applied to my STi. My installer said he wasn't able to apply the clear bra on the headlights due to the curves of the headlights. Is there a precut 3M kit or are we just out of luck protecting our super fly HID lights? Anyone else experianced this yet?

·
Registered
14 Posts
where did you get your clear bra installed? also, where is a good place to do some research about it?

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I had it installed here locally at my tint shop.

·
Registered
1 Posts
There is a kit but it is real difficult to get it to stick. The pre-cut headlight kits are 2x or more as thick as the normal 3M film applied to the paint so it is harder to work with. My guy had to try 2 kits and I think I might still need it redone come spring.

·
Registered
2,378 Posts
I've never used the 3m stuff but I just recently installed a pre-cut kit from Lamin-X on my '03 and it was pretty straigt forward. I don't know what the curves are like on the '04 compared to the '03, but it wasn't extremely difficult. Just a thought as a good alternative....

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The 03's really can't be compared with the 04's due to the shape of the lense being completely different. Has nobody else had 3M clear bra applied to their '04 headlights yet???

·
Registered
2,378 Posts
STi_This said:
The 03's really can't be compared with the 04's due to the shape of the lense being completely different. Has nobody else had 3M clear bra applied to their '04 headlights yet???
I understand that they are shaped completely differently. You asked if there is a pre-cut kit for the '04 lights and I posted a link to a precut kit for the '04. It's not 3m, but it's the same premise and I've heard good things about the lamin-x stuff.

·
Registered
75 Posts
STi_This said:
On Friday I had 3m clear bra applied to my STi. My installer said he wasn't able to apply the clear bra on the headlights due to the curves of the headlights. Is there a precut 3M kit or are we just out of luck protecting our super fly HID lights? Anyone else experianced this yet?
Tell your installer to use a heat gun to get the material plyable but not to much you dont want to burn it and just use a bondo card to stretch it. Also apply it with alcohol rather than soap.I install tint and clear bras at my tint shop by the way.

·
Registered
19 Posts
My STi has the headlights covered, and the installer had no problem doing it. Both the Rockblocker company, which already has the kit available, and the Xpel company which might now have the kit out use the 3M scotchcal product and it does work great on the lights. This includes washings. Been on my car for months. If you search this forum back a few months the sales rep for rockblocker, Chad was giving us all a heads up about the product. He can be emailed at rockblocker.com or you can get the kits directly from them. Headlights are too expensive not to cover IMO. SFRinNJ

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Those of you that have your headlights covered is your 3M clear bra thin or thick? I want the thin stuff. I think I'll just hit up a different installer on my next day off.

·
Registered
51 Posts
If anyone has any questions about installing the headlight protectors or the paint protection film let me know.

The headlight protection for the 2004 STi or the WRX too can be hard to install because of the bump in the light, but they are not impossible. We have pre-cut lights that take that into consideration. With it being winter now you will have to install them a warm climate to make it easier on yourself. IE 60 degrees or warmer.

Here is a pic of one installed. I just wish I had one where it was actually being installed.

The '02-03 lights are easier to install because of the shape.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I really don't like the thick precut kits. I'd rather I have an installer custom cut the thin stuff. I'll check around and report back the results. :)

·
Registered
51 Posts
That's cool. Let us know how it works out.

You can find 40 mi and 12 mil out there. FYI on thickness of light protection. The thinner you go the faster that they will burn out, crack and fade. They cannot withstand the direct beam of light for a longer period of time.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Well all I know is the thin stuff worked fine on my JDM WRX headlights before the STi. Anyone know where to locate the plastic Subaru headlight protectors? I might consider them as well.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts