Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Headlight "out-gassing" after Diode Dynamics c-light conversion and blacking out the

I have a 2017 WRX base model that came with the rinky-dink chrome headlight housing and dim c-lights that just looked terrible. I recently did a Diode Dynamics C-Light conversion and I also blacked out that terrible chrome. The first time I attempted this, a company that I shall not name sent me two driver side C-lights rather than one driver side and passenger side C-Light. Since I was going to be opening up the headlights again once I got the right parts, I poorly sealed the lights which allowed water to get in (terrible idea since they were extremely hard to clean). Once I got the right parts, I did the conversion properly. While I was doing this, I used goo-gone to get the old butyl rubber I previously used out of the housing (I only did this on the driver side since it was much harder to remove for some reason). I cleaned the lenses with some foamy glass cleaner and resealed and they were as good as new! A few weeks passed with no problem. Until now, I noticed some fogging up on the driver side headlight. My immediate reaction was "oh no, there's water in there." But upon inspection, the foggy residue looked oily and after looking a little bit up online, I read up the term "out-gassing." I then took out the high beam bulb on the driver side and it reeked of goo-gone. If have to take the light apart again, so be it, but is there any way that I can clean this without having to take the lights apart? Will this go away on its own? Any suggestions would be much appreciated!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
UPDATE:

2 hours have passed since my post and I noticed that a lot of the "gas" has run off the inside of the lenses. Just as water would run after too much has condensed. What's weird is that there is now little to no fog, just the possible "gas" particles running down or possibly evaporating. Could this be water? It is highly unlikely since I sealed the lights extremely well.

·
Water.....sometimes waves
1,612 Posts
I would take the bulbs out and set a hair dryer blowing into the housing for a while to speed up the out-gassing / drying and see what happens after that.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts