Subaru WRX Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2015 WRX Limited
1st time WRX owner and all around new to cars.
Noticed my passenger side high beam bulb was out and my driver's side is also lightly flickering. Looked online and everything said "halogen" so I decided to call the dealership. Went to my local Subaru dealership and asked to purchase an LED replacement bulb. I mentioned I had LEDs multiple times. But I ended up walking out with a Sylvania 9005 they swore was OEM. Long story short I now have a dingy yellow high beam and everything else is pure white. It's Saturday night so this can't fixed to Monday (at least). Can someone point me to the correct bulb spec for my vehicle?
Thanks in advance for your time.

Attachments

·
Registered
24 Posts
The OEM for high beam is always Halogen. LED's on highbeam it's a big no no in my opinion. Some of the LEDs out there, they don't work with high beams.

I believe Subispeed and other online retailer have LED for high beam that could work, but I wouldn't recommended. It's way too bright for other driver.

Types of bulb: Low beam (Type H11)
High beam (Type 9005/HB3)

Subaru replacement bulb guide

·
Registered
386 Posts
I believe Subispeed and other online retailer have LED for high beam that could work, but I wouldn't recommended. It's way too bright for other driver.
Ummm they are high beams, no one should be driving around with them on if anyone is near by regardless if they are LEDs or halogens.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I should mention that although these are High beams they also function as the DRLs. I currently have one nice blue light and one dingy yellow (I need to return that to the dealership).
I am looking to get these: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00VNBDOV2/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_awdb_lXepybC554X26
They seem to offer a good reputation, easy connection, and the style seems inline with what I previously had.

·
Registered
120 Posts
I just upgraded both high and low beam bulbs to the Auxbeam F16 LEDs. The high beams are actually pretty awesome, but I wouldn't want to be on the receiving end of them. The issue it creates is the automatic daytime running lights; they don't go dim like the halogen DRLs do. It is probably fine in full daylight, but in lower light conditions you end up running around with your high beams on full all the time and causing glare for oncoming drivers. I ended up pulling out the DRL resistor in order to disable them from coming on automatically, with the end result being that I now just run with the driving lights on so that the "C" lights (also upgraded to LED) are actually visible. The jury is still out on whether the LED low beams are really an upgrade other than for the clean white appearance. The F16s were cheap enough via eBay that I won't consider it a total loss if I end up going back to the halogens.

·
Registered
386 Posts
BTW I have LED high beams and Diode Dynamics' C lights as my DRLs

1 - 9 of 9 Posts