Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I just installed my gruppe-s headers, wrapped with thermal-tec wrap, plus I wrapped my gruppe-s uppipe that i've had for 6months. During this upgrade (also installed sti injectors and vf34) I finally got around to installing my EGT probe. I didn't have the time or resources to weld a bung in to the gruppe-s header, so I put the probe in the uppipe.

Now putting the probe in the uppipe does two things:
1) give and average of the 4 cyclinders' temps
2) allows the gases to cool a bit before hitting the probe.

However, wrapping the headers and uppipe keeps more heat in the tubes, I would think that it might even keep the heat in better than the CI stock manifold.

How does this influence my "safe" zone. Right now I have to wait a week until I get a new ECUTEK reflash so I'm babying the car and not running more than 5psi. However when I'm on the highway, crusing at about 75mph, 3200rpm, and about 6-10inHG on the boost gauge, my EGTs are in the 1000-1100 range. If I get on the gas and hold a 0pis they raise to about 1200-1250. I just don't want to blow something up.

Any input?

SteveD you have a similar setup, any insight would be appriciated. :)

·
Registered
197 Posts
I would have to say that i suspect your EGT's at the manifold are still a bit higher. There is no header wrap that can give stainless steel the heat retention of cast iron.

But none the less, even if you lost 100 degrees in that span - your temps woudl still be ok.

When im cruising at say 3000 rpm - my temps are around 750-760C. Thats 1380 - 1400 F. So youre still in a safe range. Just wait and see where you are when you get tuned.

Joe

·
Banned
601 Posts
yeh, your egt's look cool to me(course I'm no expert). One of the reasons I thought people put the egt gauge so close to the block is that having an average of 4 cylinders isn't really accurate unless you have equal length headers. I mean they would be the average of exhaust gasses from different rpms since the side farthest from the uppipe has to send the gasses 2 feet further then the other side b4 the gasses are mixed. Not that it really matters:), and I put my egt probe right br the stock one(where are the exhaust gasses meet) too..... From what I've been told, aything under 1500 should be way cool(and even if it goes above for a little bit).

peace

1 - 3 of 3 Posts