Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so is it bad to lower your car without aftermarket struts ? I dont know about it much but what can it do to your car?

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
It's said that after a certain amount of drop (more than 1" maybe?) that the stock struts start to get "overworked" with excessive spring oscillation.

I don't think your struts will die instantly, but they'll get more of a workout and see a reduced life...

Aloha,
Richard...

P.S. I'm running H&R Sport Springs (1.5" + drop after settling) with the stock struts. I'm assuming the stock struts will give up the ghost sooner or later, but I'll run them into the ground before I can afford new struts... BTW I'm not especially concerned with handling, just the aesthetic appeal of a lowered car. If you're going to go for handling the stock struts should go (From what I've been told by the track day gurus).

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanx for the reply... I was thinking about the KYB AGX ... Beacuse they are cheap or should I go for the STI ones from subaruparts.com ?.. Plus the ground control coilovers ?

·
Moderating on the run!
7,322 Posts
Struts are manufactured to operate within a certain optimum range, change that range (ie lowering- raising would also do it-don't see many raising however;) ) and you will shorten the life of your strut. If the drop is minimal 1, 11/2 there shouldn't be too much of a problem.

See this thread on pluses/minus of the AGX:

http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=8963

Big Sky

1 - 4 of 4 Posts