Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I'm hoping to get some opinions here...

I've got a 2007 STi and I recently blew a piston. As a result had my shortblock replaced along with my waterpump, valve seals, etc at my local mechanics. Well about 2000 miles since I got the car back, it suddenly died one morning as I was leaving my neighborhood about a minute after I started the car. It drove just fine until then without any symptoms of malfunction. (I also havent boosted since I got the car back). It cranks but wont start up and I had it towed back to the same mechanic. They're telling me I've got low compression (again) and that its probably the cause of it... and said they would have to tear down the motor to diagnose the specific problem. They've only given me a limited warranty should anything go wrong due to "workmanship" issues... which I'm highly skeptical of (the warranty).

Anyhow, my question is that could low compression in a single cylinder cause my car to not run/start up? Because the motor cranks just on battery power and it should in theory run on 3 good cylinders. In fact, when I blew my piston in my old shortblock, the motor still ran with tons of smoke pouring out of the exhaust. This time I was thinking it was either a fuel or ignition issue... but what they're telling me is is pretty devastating. I just spent over 4k getting it fixed and now they're implying I need to go through this again...

edit: CEL had been on because my mechanic had removed my secondary air pump from the previous job. When the car broke down the second time, I tried resetting the ECU and it doesnt read any code besides the ones regarding the secondary air pump.

·
Master Baiter
12,651 Posts
Resetting the ECU would clear any stored codes, so that was not the proper move.

Was the engine they put in new or used? As for your future course of action, it's going to depend on the shop.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Amazes me that people still pay shops to rebuild engines when IAG has a 12k warranty, usually cheaper, and is like the #1 Google search for subaru engines

1 - 3 of 3 Posts