ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey i have a 02 wrx and wanted to know if getting a 2.5L sti engine and transmission is a good idea or not, then put mods on that, i wanted the 02 subaru look but with the same speed as sti.

Or

get a different engine if there is one that is better to put in if i plan to change engines anyways

·
Registered
397 Posts
What are your goals? How much cash do you have? Can you do the work yourself or do you need a shop to do it for you? A 2.5 shortblock is somewhere around 1500 bux. An sti six speed is somewhere around 5k or so. then you have to think of all the little incidental things that you will need, gaskets and such mess. Labor. Lots o' bux.

Personally I would just mod the 2.0 until it explodes, then get a 2.5.

·
Banned
12,156 Posts
you can just do a little reinforcement work on the 2.0L and do fine (resleeve, forged internals)

the 2.5L swap will be a lot more work due to al lthe electrical involved with the tranny, DCCD etc.

dR

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
have about $15000, and not sure what i want to do yet, i am able to do myself(bunch of friends involved) or take it to a place with a dyno and ****. Hmm goals, just want a fast as **** car, **BUT** has to be a daily driver, only mode of transportation, and reason i have this money is we just sold our house and i have $$ to spend. I want LOTS of daily drivable power, so engine needs to be strong. I want to blow people out of the water then they see my wrx and think it is stock, imagine the looks on their faces, priceless.

·
Registered
514 Posts
This is just an Idea but why not sell your car and use it for an STi, its basically a waste to make your wrx into a USDM STi. Anyways if you want a safe and reliable car get a built motor from axis or someone a 2.35 or 2.4 would definatly be awsome and reliable. As for a STi 6 speed buying 5k try kastlekorner.com 3500 for a brand new one. Built motor port and polished heads plus a Gt seriers turbo=POWER, I personally wouldnt go with anyother turbo then a new style Garrter turbo.

·
Registered
1,818 Posts
EllinikoScooby said:
This is just an Idea but why not sell your car and use it for an STi, its basically a waste to make your wrx into a USDM STi. Anyways if you want a safe and reliable car get a built motor from axis or someone a 2.35 or 2.4 would definatly be awsome and reliable. As for a STi 6 speed buying 5k try kastlekorner.com 3500 for a brand new one. Built motor port and polished heads plus a Gt seriers turbo=POWER, I personally wouldnt go with anyother turbo then a new style Garrter turbo.
Bah, I hate when people say the word waste like that...so freely. If you buy an 02 WRX for under 18k and swap in an STi drivetrain you have yourself a way cheap STi + you get a bug eyed monster, I personally LOVE the bug eye years and will be performing some type of tranny/engine swap in the years to come.

But heres a tip, do your research on what you want exactly, maybe you want a hybrid motor like a 2.2L with STi heads or WRX ported heads? Maybe you want a V7/V8 complete motor? Maybe you want the USDM 2.5L short block (since its pretty cheap, iirc $1800? And then pick some heads out for it?

Also what kind of turbo do you want? Lots of top end? Fast spool up? How fast do you want to go in the 1/4, of highway or around the auto-x.

There are several different tranny upgrades but if you have the money for the 6 speed I say go for it and don't look back!

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
nope aiming for a certain horsepower, but want a turbo with a quicker spool, but havnt totally decided what to do, still researching and comparing, just wanted to get you guys thoughts about it.

·
Registered
6,174 Posts
If you want to have a totally badass car that is streetable, get a JDM v7 STi RA swap. It's the whole engine, from top to bottom, and will do several things for you:

1) it makes the same power as a stage 4 us WRX

2) has a MUCH more aggressive valvetrain that will allow higher HP applications down the road

3) fully forged internals that will allow you to run as much power and boost as you want when you upgrade your supporting mods (new IC, injectors)

4) the JDM ECU runs MUCH more timing advance, allowing for a HUGE decrease in spool time on bigger turbos, better off-boost power, much nicer throttle response.

5) 8k trustworthy redline :wiggles:

I know it may sound like a huge freakign deal to do a motorswap, but if you check with www.gruppe-s.com or kingpin performance (both on nasioc) they will pretty much hold your hand through the whole thing. It's the best way to get a bulletproof engine that makes tons of power and has potential to make an 11 second car on stock internals. As far as the tranny goes....if you got money for the 6mt, go for it, otherwise hardened gearsets will do the same, just without a 6th gear ;)

~Tim

·
Registered
43 Posts
paintbalinpaul said:
thanks that sounds nice^^^^ i will look into that now, and probably will end up getting 6 speed, for highway driving

u are talking about the engine on that website right? why not get the v8 instead of v7.
6th gear on the 6 speed is acually a hair lower that 5th gear on the 5 speed. So, cruising on the highway the 5MT will turn a few fewer RPMs, given a cruising speed, than the 6MT.

6th gear is not a 2nd overdrive like a lot of people think. It's just that the 6 speed has smaller steps between shifts, keeping you "in the power" when accelerating.

·
Registered
6,174 Posts
paintbalinpaul said:
thanks that sounds nice^^^^ i will look into that now, and probably will end up getting 6 speed, for highway driving

u are talking about the engine on that website right? why not get the v8 instead of v7.

Well, it depends. The v7 is cheaper and has forged pistons which is an advantage. The v8 has a better valvetrain with a twinscroll turbo (faster spool) but does not have forged pistons. The pistons issue is debatable since people seem to be making tons of power on both, but for my money I'd rather get the v7 RA Spec-C which comes fully forged with a friggin' sweet valvetrain, vf34 turbo stock and an ECU that can walk on water. If you give Gruppe-S or kingpin a call they can elaborate, give you pro's and con's and tell you about their availability...it could potentially take a while to get one or the other, so if there's a v7 available but no v8's that might come into consideration or vice versa (waiting for power has teh sux0rz!!!!1)

~Tim

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
I say jdm swap with twinscroll. You mentioned keeping the lag down. I've heard that Garrett had twinscroll aftermarkets coming out...can you imagine the potential?

also, if you're going to spend big bucks on a new tranny, get the gear ratios you want...a customized aftermarket gearset will cost similar to the sti 6-speed and you get what you want.

I've also been told that a good tuner can tune and flash a map for a jdm engine ala ecutek just for passing smog.

so, jdm engine w/ forged internals, plus aftermarket twinscroll, plus customized aftermarket gearset...all good.

·
Banned
287 Posts
If you buy a 2.5L shortblock, will you need to buy the STi 6MT tranny also or the 02-03 WRX tranny bolts on?

I'm looking at shortblocks on http://www.kingpinperformance.com and was wondering if any of those blocks are bolt on.

I have a stock WRX that just gave up on me and I'm looking to buy a new shortblock but of course build for 300-350HP car (daily driver). I was wondering if purchasing the Kingpin Stage 2 2.5 Liter is a good idea and what will I be facing if I bolt that onto a stock 02 engine.

·
Registered
4,711 Posts
Wow, old thread....

Don't buy one of those kingpin motors. They get those from Axis racing and charge you a premium for being the middle man. If you're gonna get a built block, try axis racing, gruppe-s, or cobb. Honestly, if you're only looking for 300-350hp, you could use a stock STI 2.5L motor and be perfectly fine. That being said, most people end up going for a little more than they originally planned, so you prob only need a shortblock with forged pistons. That should be plenty.

All the blocks will bolt onto your heads and other parts, but once you get a 2.5L, you better start saving for a transmission because it will let go sooner or later...

·
Registered
10,357 Posts
you can also look into Cobb and Crawford motors...same ballpark as a JDM v7...and its all brand new parts where as the JDM motor is just a used take-off...you don't really know what kind of shape its in aside from what the vendor tells you.

Of course then you don't get the v7 heads.

·
Registered
9 Posts
full JDM motor vs. STI Short Block

...I am in the same dilema. I have to have my local shop do the install. I got quoted 16-20 hours labor ($1500) and around $700 for incidental parts like oil pump, head gaskets etc. to do the short block. The $ made me ill:barf: so I did not even ask about how much for a complete JDM motor install.

Trying to figure out if it is worth it to do upgrade my 70k mile 2002 WRX to a 2.5l short block or to just bend over and buy a v7 or v8 motor.:screwy:

Anthony

·
Registered
10,357 Posts
hotshoe said:
...I am in the same dilema. I have to have my local shop do the install. I got quoted 16-20 hours labor ($1500) and around $700 for incidental parts like oil pump, head gaskets etc. to do the short block. The $ made me ill:barf: so I did not even ask about how much for a complete JDM motor install.

Trying to figure out if it is worth it to do upgrade my 70k mile 2002 WRX to a 2.5l short block or to just bend over and buy a v7 or v8 motor.:screwy:

Anthony
I was thinking the same thing this weekend and decided against it. if it were my weekend fun car I'd do it, but since its my commuter, just too many reliability issues. I'm probably trading it in for a Mustang GT, and maybe in a few years I'll pick up a 1930's Ford High Boy for a project.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts