ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Cranked up my 08 yesterday morning and this flew off the front of the crankshaft. Shredded my belts. Apparently this is glued on to the pulley. Apparently not very well. I have 44k on the engine. The service manager at subaru had never heard of it happening. Warranty for this was up at 36k. You can see where the glue degraded. All pitted and falling out. The pulley will have to be replaced. Can't just glue another one one. Well, for what its worth. Just seems like shoddy work/materials.

Attachments

·
Registered
135 Posts
Yikes that is a bummer, well it could mean time for a upgrade. I'd look for aftermarket performance ones to replace it.

·
Registered
333 Posts
Try contacting Subaru of America if the Dealership won't do anything. Do you have any modifications done to the car that would increase stress on the parts?

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
I've seen this once on an old (late 90's) Subie. I really don't think a pulley would be covered under the 60k powertrain. Could be wrong though.

·
Lando Calrissian
3,787 Posts
nope, can't say that I have seen this, or heard of it. You can go with an after-market one, those are almost all made from solid aluminum, for about $100- $150. If you are near the Pittsburgh PA area you can have my stock one gratis (about 2500 miles on it) as I went with a Cobb unit.

Edit:

the MSRP on the stock is about $190, so if it is not covered, after market will likely be cheaper... if you don't want my lightly used one that is.

·
Registered
2,136 Posts
Happened to my '91 Legacy, it sucks but is a cheap and easy replacement. Hopefully it didn't do any more damage as it was flailing about inside the engine bay. It's surprising that Subaru says it's not a harmonic balancer but yet it's got a rubber isolator. I didn't realize they were still made like that.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts