Subaru WRX Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just out of curiosity I was wondering if anyone has ever successfully swapped a TH400 into their WRX. I've seen some articles about it in the past, I've also seen articles with TH400's being used with a 2jz and other various imports. From the research I've done I haven't seen a specific kit for it either. The reason I bring this article up is cuz I'm done with driving my WRX on the street when I built the car I wanted to have a nice street car and I nice drag car best of both worlds type of thing. Quickly learned that is not possible. I've blown 2 motors on the street, grenaded my 5 speed on the street, grenaded my rear diff on the street and to top it all off I had my motor catch on fire on the street.. So I'm over the idea of having a fast street car but not over the idea of the drag car.. If no one else has ever put a TH400 in their WRX that can shed some light then I might make a thread down the road of me doing a TH400 conversion. It seems asinine to spend over $6,000 on a 6 speed when I could get a TH400 for about $1,000 and a stock TH400 would hold 600+hp all day.. The only reason I'm even considering a TH400 is cuz I've made my mind up that the car will not be a street car anymore.. If anyone wants to chime in and have a discussion feel free! Down the road in about another year or so I will be making a thread of the conversion!

·
Super Moderator
10,897 Posts
That's a lot of work and Fab that may total up more than you expected. It will be an interesting build to follow. There is one pre us model out there with the BMW sit v10. If they can shoehorn that mofo in there no reason you can't fit whatever you desire.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah there would definitely be fab work to be done. I'm gonna do some research and see if they make an adapter plate for the EJ to TH400. I'd also need to figure out a rear diff haha.

If I get this to happen I'll be stoked I've been dreaming of a TH400 for about a year and a half now. I love the EJ platform and a TH400 mated with that for drag application would be sick IMO!

·
Premium Member
6,716 Posts
I typed it into Google, and the very first result lead me to Wilcap Co. About 3/4 of the way down the page.. "SUBARU WRX Motor to GM TH400 with reverse mounted starter".

·
Æternum
15,475 Posts
If you aren't going to keep the AWD, why even bother with a WRX?

There are better RWD cars to build with better weight distribution and transmissions equivalent in strength to a TH400... And you'll get a V8.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

1 - 5 of 5 Posts