Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, before you go flaming me about car abuse, let it be known that I am NOT planning on jumping my car, but I was wondering if anyone out there has. I know our cars in stock form have pretty soft springs, but they do have a lot of available space to move. So, has anyone out there jumped their car, stock or modified, off-road or on the tarmac? (I am really interested if anyone has jumped it on the road). Let me know!

-joe

·
Premium Member
6,750 Posts
I caught some air once off a little hump in the road...I don't remember if I was on my stock springs or my Teins at the time, but it was a little scary nonetheless. The car wasn't too far off the ground for very long...probably a second at the very most and probably no more than 6 inches height-wise.

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Lets go for it!!! :D

I am really not interested in doing this, but I wonder what kind of abuse the car is able to take in stock suspension form. I am sure your Golf would survive, VWs are built like tanks. :)

-joe

·
Registered
432 Posts
During the first 10,000 miles (minus the first 1500) i did a lot of "experimental" driving to see what the car is capable of. This did include one jump off a railroad crossing at about 60mph. Yes, I bottomed out slightly on the right side. Lost a little paint off the bottom of the frame. Actually its like a little skid plate next to the front wheels.
I am always impressed with the wrx's capabilities in all kinds of situations. But, i dont reccomend jumping it. Just take my word for it.

BTW, I had a clear line of sight for a quarter mile in both directions.

·
Registered
9,138 Posts
I got some air, then proceeded to bottom out in my Honda Odyssey minivan. I had BMX bikes in the back, and they flew up so high I saw them in the rearview mirror!

LMFAO

Disclaimer: That was totally by accident and I NEVER advocate doing anything like that.

·
Registered
538 Posts
I jumped up onto a small bridge once. Second gear, hard on the gas and hit the short, steep up-ramp and....WEEEEEEEE! Good for a 1-2 second hang time. Landed rather smoothly on stock long-legged suspension. Wouldn't try it now, though.

Of course, this was purely accidental. So I went back around and did it again on purpose.:D

'twas fun!

Peace,

Curtis

PS: Please do not go out and attempt to jump ANYTHING in your car based on my ignorance. You may DIE in the process, and, well, how would that make you feel.;)

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Great! I am glad to hear some of you guys are crazy.:D :D

Funny thing is, I got the idea when I went over the RR crossing by my house last night, and I thought to myself, I know there is someone out there who has done it. I have been proven correct and will fight the urge to do it myself.

-joe

·
Registered
641 Posts
NJwrbT-WRX said:
I am NOT planning on jumping my car. So, has anyone out there jumped their car, stock or modified, off-road or on the tarmac? (I am really interested if anyone has jumped it on the road). Let me know!

-joe
What?! You don't jump your car!? I jump my car all the time...it's soon damn sexy. I hump it like the piece of metal it is. :D

:D

Sorry, I thought you meant jumper cables for your car. I do that all the time. I don't make my car fly. If it was designed to fly in the air, they would have made wings for it! :rolleyes:

heh

-LostLamb

·
Thinking Man's Engine
1,598 Posts
NJwrbT-WRX said:
Great! I am glad to hear some of you guys are crazy.:D :D

Funny thing is, I got the idea when I went over the RR crossing by my house last night, and I thought to myself, I know there is someone out there who has done it. I have been proven correct and will fight the urge to do it myself.

-joe
YOu might do it if Jim makes us drive some of the Bucks County roads, that he usually flies on.

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
I've caught some air crossing a railroad track.
It is WOT then hard downshift to 3rd jump the tracks, hard to 2nd,
closing right hander (about 100 degrees). The first time I tried it with stock suspension it sucked up the jump quite well but really understeered going into the turn (almost hit the outside curb).
Now with Eibach pro kit and sway bar it bottoms out but no understeer.
I don't do it anymore too harsh on the springs.

·
Banned
1,275 Posts
Verdugo said:
I caught some air once off a little hump in the road...I don't remember if I was on my stock springs or my Teins at the time, but it was a little scary nonetheless. The car wasn't too far off the ground for very long...probably a second at the very most and probably no more than 6 inches height-wise.
:eek: How fast were you going, where?

·
Registered
499 Posts
Sure have, there is a big hill here, and if ya top it going 80+, you'll catch some good air on it. I discovered it back in the 10th grade, and we had at it with a friends 325i. It was one of the first places I headed when I hit the 1000 mile mark on my Rex. Fairly safe place to do such things, no side roads or driveways, still I'll make yer heart beat faster. Another plus is a terrific gravel road about 2 miles away.

·
Registered
9,138 Posts
chixdrivestix said:
JOSH!!

I LOVE THE WRX BUT THE HONDA ODYSSEY IS A GOD! lol, that mini van is the ****. hehe
Shaina
Hell yeah!

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
My twin brother and I (yes, I'm a twin) used to "jump" our Pontiac Grand le Mans (circa '84 model, IIRC) over a railroad crossing heading home from highschool almost everyday. Obviously, if traffic was present, we couldn't do it. I don't think that we ever actually got airborn, but you could definitely unweight the suspension and "float" over the tracks. At the right speed, it was BUTTER! ;) At the wrong speed, it sucked!:eek:

I think most people who think they caught some air, actually only unweight the suspension and the tires may never leave the road. Of course, I'm sure plenty of you guys have caught some air.

·
Registered
13 Posts
My first car was an old honda civic and I thought I was being really cool by going fast in a really cruddy car, but I was actually being really dumb on a really unsafe road. I hit about 80, and since it was like an 89 it sounded as if the wheels were going to fall off, and I went flying over this dip. Now, I should have known the infamous "DIP" sign was there, but I was new to the wheel and ignorant. I FLEW up in the air, landed on my front tires, had my TI-89 smack me in the face and skidded after finally having 4 wheels back on the ground.
My friends and I rejoiced and thought it was all great (minus the calculator button imprints on my face), but then it turns out as i finished giving my girl a high-five next to me, i ran over a boulder. Who knows where the hell it came from, but it was hungry, hungry for the inside of my car. It completely bottomed me out, and well, the rest is history.
Never again will I underestimate the power of the "DIP" sign.
Check you all later,
Shaina

·
Registered
38 Posts
NJwrbT-WRX said:
Lets go for it!!! :D

I am really not interested in doing this, but I wonder what kind of abuse the car is able to take in stock suspension form. I am sure your Golf would survive, VWs are built like tanks. :)

-joe
Well, maybe not. When I was in highschool, we found a nice little railroad crossing out in the boonies that had a nice downhill approach, a level platform with the tracks, then dropped away steeply after the tracks and ran straight for about 1.5 miles. One night my buddy (with 3 of us in the car) decided to hit it pretty hard in his Jetta. We caught some pretty good air, landed hard, and he lost control on the landing and swerved out into a corn field. Thought everything was OK, but the next day he noticed a crack in one of the strut towers and the car had all sorts of new rattles.

So I wouldn't do it in my car ;)

1 - 20 of 20 Posts