ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
715 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, first.. here's the background. I got my recently purchased VF30, STI injectors, Warlboro Fuel Pump, PDE DP, TurboXS UP w/ Cobb stage 2.5 installed a week ago. On Sunday I left for vacation and on the way down experienced a really hot engine. It wasn't in the red, but it was close. The CEL was on prior to vacation AFTER the install.. but I figured it may have something to do with the catless setup. Anyways, when I got down here at the Outer Banks in NC, I filled up the coolant system with water. The temps came down and the CEL turned off.

But now I just realized today, whenever the car is warming up and I accelerate hard, at about 4000rpm i hear this loud rising WISHHHHHHHH sound. It's pretty loud and overtakes the engine sound. However, once the car warms up, it almost disappears.

Has anyone experienced this? Is it something I should worry about? My boost gauge is showing regular PSI so I don't know what it is. *I need some more gauges*.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
13,126 Posts
Does it sound like a wattery, fluid sound, like water is sloshing around somewhere? Sometimes when I turn my car on...I get some watery type sound like fluid sloshing around for about 30-45 seconds then it goes away.

Sound familar?

·
Registered
715 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hmm... I don't think so. It sounds very airy. It only happens when the car is cold to almost at normal temp when accelerating hard at 4000+. It goes away when the car is hot and after accelerating hard a couple of times.

I think it's possible it could be an up-pipe leak but I don't know why it would go away after the car warms up AND accelerating it hard. It won't go away until I accelerate hard a few times once it's hot.

·
Registered
461 Posts
GotRice7169 said:
this is really a stab in the dark but if its a leak it could go away after hard accelerations and warming cuz the metal is expanding. just a thought
Probably. My exhaust sounds pretty raspy until the car is warm. I've probably got a small up pipe leak as part of the problem.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Mine has been doing the exact same thing. I replaced my uppipe and all was good for almost a week. then i drove out to san diego and the next day it started and hasnt gone away. Once it warms up it goes away. I came to think its a leak. I was told that i would see some black crap coming out from where it was leaking but i dont see anything..I plan on taking it off and replacing gaskets on it again one day. If you find out what it is and how to fix it let me know.

·
Registered
715 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
killabee said:
Mine has been doing the exact same thing. I replaced my uppipe and all was good for almost a week. then i drove out to san diego and the next day it started and hasnt gone away. Once it warms up it goes away. I came to think its a leak. I was told that i would see some black crap coming out from where it was leaking but i dont see anything..I plan on taking it off and replacing gaskets on it again one day. If you find out what it is and how to fix it let me know.
I think it's an uppipe leak, too. What kind of up-pipe do you have? My TurboXS doesn't have flex so that could be possible what it is. I may take it to the installer and have him attempt to fix it if that is all possible.

·
Registered
3,269 Posts
thats not a very typical uppipe leak sounding sound. Its def exhaust related if it goes away once the engine is heated up. Possible places to check....turboto uppipe flange, and turbo to downpipe flange. That typically has a hissing "putting" sound...like you can hear each indivial burstof exhaust gas

·
Registered
255 Posts
gfx said:
I think it's an uppipe leak, too. What kind of up-pipe do you have? My TurboXS doesn't have flex so that could be possible what it is. I may take it to the installer and have him attempt to fix it if that is all possible.
I have a godspeed uppipe

·
Registered
715 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
It's not a leak.. it can't be. I figured out it doesn't go away when it heats up. It goes away after you continually drive hard for a few minutes. I then changed my Forge BOV spring to a stiffer one and now its a constant sound but my power is back. Before I changed the spring, I would feel a noticable power loss when the sound was present and when it disappeared my power was back. But now.. I have the sound and the power.

I'm really confused :confused:

·
Registered
269 Posts
could it be something with your turbo? Many vf(non-ball bearing) owners reported this noise on nasioc! Check your fuel purge valve. I have blown two. It will make a whoooosh noise. High boost will rupture the diaphram in it. It is the plastic valve with three "T"s on it. One is going to the #1cylinder in take runner, one goes to your turbo intake, the other goes to purge valve solonoid, which then goes to the fuel tank. Try to blow air in the rear "T", no air should pass through.

scott

·
Registered
715 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for that.. I might have to check that out. If I can't find it anyone have any pictures of where this is in the engine bay? Also, if I did rupture it.. can I replace it myself and is it costly? Won't it just rupture again?

·
Registered
269 Posts
it is the only black, plastic, round thing on your #1 intake runner. It faces you when looking at motor, It has three "T". come on!

·
Registered
715 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Hey I just checked that.. I took off the rear hose running straight back and blew into it. No air passed through. I guess that means my fuel purge valve is fine... now I *stilll* don't know what the exact problem is. I kind of hoped that would be the problem.

·
Registered
269 Posts
don't worry too much about noise. How does car run? Could it be a leak in your exaust before the turbo? egt sensor leaking exaust? Do you have a manual boost cont.? Maby someone is in the trunk farting! Exaust leaks are hard to pinpoint. Only leaks under big boost sometimes.

·
Registered
715 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
The car runs fine but once in a while it seems like I have less power than normal...

I thought it was an exhaust leak.. but it's weird. It doesn't go away when the car warms up. It only goes away once the car is driven hard for a few minutes. It's coming from the pasenger side. It's not noticable until 4000k rpm... and it's not a gradual sound. It'ls like something "kicked in".. its a very abrupt sound.

And no I don't have a MBC.

·
Registered
5,207 Posts
this might sound like a noob suggestion but maybe its ur turbo spooling up lol. i dunno im just trying to help since that sounds like a whoosh. and kicks in around their. i dunno sorry man if u find out what it was tell us.

Jason

·
Registered
715 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Ehh.. I was thinking that at some points. However, it took about a week after the turbo install to show up.. and it will randomly disappear sometimes. It's very odd....

1 - 20 of 21 Posts