ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
has anybody gone to a local muffler shop and have them put up a custom exhaust with a flowmaster, or magna flow.....somthing along those lines?

·
Registered
16,991 Posts
There are a few threads about this floating around. I thought of doing the same thing because catbacks are so expensive compared to getting mandrel bent 3" pipe + muffler + resonator + labor. I was quoted $280 for a custom catback w/ Magnaflow...

I'd rather spend good money on a downpipe where it matters. $600+ is just too much for an aftermarket catback, IMO.

Now I just need the money. :p

·
Registered
44 Posts
When I was shopping around for a WRX I test drove this guy's 02 and all he had done was have the last cat replaced with a straight pipe and then some crappy 1.5 in piping from the muffler shop to serve as a "muffler" and it sounded awesome and only cost him like $100 so I imagine the same with Magnaflow or Flowmaster would sound good. Don't know for sure though.

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
some people have done a striaght pipe that sounds verrrry mean. Only cost around 100 dollars.

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
the local monro muffler around here did a dp back on my car welding up some cheap "ricer cannon" for $50 (2 1/2 in pipe) it sounds real good and it looks good too;) $600 for a cat back is outragous but if you've got the $$ to spend more power to ya:D

·
Registered
15 Posts
exhaust

My father bent up the piping for a 3''pipe from the axle back and welded a stainless muffler at the back.Couldnt get any better than that...just had to buy the 3''muffler off ebay and the 3''pipe from the local muffler shop for $20.The other good thing is that the bends are sand bent which gives a better result(exhaust flow wise)than mandrel bends.
Hmmmmm..........wonder how many people here know what sand bent pipes are...

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
kessler89 said:
the local monro muffler around here did a dp back on my car welding up some cheap "ricer cannon" for $50 (2 1/2 in pipe) it sounds real good and it looks good too;) $600 for a cat back is outragous but if you've got the $$ to spend more power to ya:D
$600 is a bit much, but i would rather bend my car around a tree before i put a coffee can exhaust on it.

·
Registered
15 Posts
trainrex

2 cookies for you mate haha.
The pipe to be bent is filled with sand (dry sand no moisture)and plugged at one end with a bung.The sand is packed in tight by tapping the outside of the pipe and at the same time using some sort of solid object,beat down on the sand in the pipe.Once the sand is packed in tight in the pipe,bung the other end.
Now for the fun part,heat up the pipe in the area that is to be bent and once you have enought heat into it ...it will bend very easily to whatever you want and having sand inside the pipe allows zero crushing of the pipe....the perfect bend.
This is how it was done in the old days before mandrels were availiable......more time consuming but the end result is better.
Hope that makes sense :)

·
Registered
5,534 Posts
I've got a custom cat-back, cost me like 220 bucks, 2.5in" piping w/ a borla muffler. Sounds great and flows MUCH better than stock. I kind've wish I went 3" because the bends in the piping probably are only 2", hehe

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Chunks said:
I've got a custom cat-back, cost me like 220 bucks, 2.5in" piping w/ a borla muffler. Sounds great and flows MUCH better than stock. I kind've wish I went 3" because the bends in the piping probably are only 2", hehe
When i talked to the muffler shop guy, he was figureing 2 1/4" pipe--any suggestions?

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
1 - 20 of 33 Posts