Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My WRX has about 1800 miles on it and I noticed that when I push in the clutch and try to get into first it feel rough going in and sometimes won't go. If I put it in 3rd first then first without releasing the clutch it slips in nice and easy. This rough feeling is only when I first push in the clutch and try to shift into either first or second. If I go into another gear first (other then Reverse) it goes nice and smooth. This is also true if I go into first then take it out and put it back in without releasing the clutch. I am new to driving stick and have not had any grinding of any sort and have not been launching hard. I also never downshift to first unless i'm close to stalling out in second.

Anyone else have this problem? Any ideas what might cause it?

FYI: I posted this same question to i-club.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Ok that explains it. This is my first manual and the cars that I learned on had around 200,000+ miles on the car and where really worn in.

Anything I can do to make it easier?

I like the quote in your sig from SpaceBalls!!

·
Registered
3,501 Posts
nemesis099 said:
The car will be easier to put in gear once the tranny is broken in. Depending on your driving, this could take between 10 and 15,000miles.

Synthetic tranny fluid will improve shift feel as well.

-Jim

·
Thinking Man's Engine
1,598 Posts
nemesis099 said:
Ok that explains it. This is my first manual and the cars that I learned on had around 200,000+ miles on the car and where really worn in.

Anything I can do to make it easier?

Just wait until winter time, where because of the thickness of the gear oil and the cold weather, it will be harder to row through gears when the gearbox is cold. For that I'd go with a synthetic gear oil.

·
Registered
473 Posts
If you are having trouble downshifting to 1st while rolling, you need to double clutch.
1. Depress clutch pedal, Shift to neutral, Release clutch pedal.
2. Blip the throttle to a little above the RPM you will be at in 1st.
3. Then QUICKLY: Depress clutch pedal, Shift to first, Release clutch pedal, Get back on the throttle.

If you get the revs right it will go into first like a knife into butter. You can use this technique for downshifting into any gear if you want to make your synchros happy.

·
Thinking Man's Engine
1,598 Posts
FUNKED1 said:
If you are having trouble downshifting to 1st while rolling, you need to double clutch.
1. Depress clutch pedal, Shift to neutral, Release clutch pedal.
2. Blip the throttle to a little above the RPM you will be at in 1st.
3. Then QUICKLY: Depress clutch pedal, Shift to first, Release clutch pedal, Get back on the throttle.

If you get the revs right it will go into first like a knife into butter. You can use this technique for downshifting into any gear if you want to make your synchros happy.
aka...the double clutch

Do you really need to do that while at a stoplight though?

·
Registered
473 Posts
Do you really need to do that while at a stoplight though?
Gawd I hope not. I figured he was talking about downshifting.
If he is stopped it should go right into first with no problems. If you are transitioning from an FWD cable or rod shift linkage you might find the effort a little high but it's still easy to get into first.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Actually, sometimes you do.

Either 1)

Shift to another gear then to first

or

Press the clutch, release, press it again, shift to first.

·
Thinking Man's Engine
1,598 Posts
gryphon said:
Actually, sometimes you do.

Either 1)

Shift to another gear then to first

or

Press the clutch, release, press it again, shift to first.
That's the standard method right there. I think FUNKED1 interpreted as while you're still rolling or something.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I'm talking from a dead stop. Heck you can have the car off and push in the clutch and try to get into first and it is hard but if you go to 3rd then 1st it slips right in. I never downshift to 1st unless i'm going less then 5 mph.

I think when I take it in for service i'll ask them and maybe get some sythetic oil put in.

·
Registered
3,501 Posts
nemesis099 said:
I'm talking from a dead stop. Heck you can have the car off and push in the clutch and try to get into first and it is hard but if you go to 3rd then 1st it slips right in. I never downshift to 1st unless i'm going less then 5 mph.

I think when I take it in for service i'll ask them and maybe get some sythetic oil put in.
You should NEVER try to put the car in gear with the engine off. Sometimes it's a non-issue, other times, you can mess stuff up.

-Jim

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I'm not saying i'm releasing the clutch while the car is off. It is fine to go through the gears while it is off how do you think people leave the car in gear. When I take it in for service I'll have them look at it and see if they notice anything. I might upgrade to a short shifter anyhow.

·
Registered
3,501 Posts
nemesis099 said:
I'm not saying i'm releasing the clutch while the car is off. It is fine to go through the gears while it is off how do you think people leave the car in gear.
Most people just turn off the engine without putting the car in neutral.

It's OK to slot the shifter in place with the engine off, I just don't recommend it. It's just something my dad always told me. I admit I don't really know why....

-Jim

·
Thinking Man's Engine
1,598 Posts
The reason people leave the car in gear, is if the parking brake fails....the car will be rolling (I've seen it happen in company parking lots)

Leaving it in gear, the force to move the car has to be higher than both the gearbox and the engine.

Automatic transmissions, on the other hand have a special gear lock which locks up the transmission completely, preventing a car from rolling down a hill.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts