Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
577 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A friend and I were driving back to campus from downtown at about 11.30pm when we hit a light, and low and behold, an SVT Focus was sitting there two cars ahead of us in the right lane. When the light went green, I meandered my way through the other cars in front of me and then pulled up to the focus just keeping back slightly.

As I was telling my friend what the car was, he downshifted and waited. At this point, I knew it was on, and that he was going to be roasted! I then downshifted my Stage 2 WRX to third gear at about 50mph, ( I know I could have gone to second, but I did not want to tax my engine too much with high rpm operation while using the crappy wintergas that we are getting right now here in Canada) and waited to him to do anything. I then gave the car a bit of gas so that he could hear my turbo spool, and the BOV went off... He then went for it.

I ended up playing catch up to him, but I easily caught up with him, but passing was another issue. Now on the roads that we were racing on, trafic was VERY light..almost none-existent, but then, as soon as I would go to pass the Focus, some driver would join the road ahead of me in my lane, causing me to have to hit the brakes and let the focus go. This happened twice, and at my which point, my friend and I decided that it was not worth the hassle and turned off at the next set of lights.

as we approached the parking lot, I then noticed that I had left the heater and rear defroster on all of the time, leading me to believe that I could have pulled on the Focus even more convincingly....

Inconclusion, I would have to say that the SVT focus is not dog slow from a roll, but then, it is not all that fast either. Now granted, I am not stock, but even with the momentum that he gained by getting the jump on me both times, I was able to pull back on him (even with my power accessories sapping power from the engine). I think a stock wrx coud take one out from a roll, but in a quick short race, they are not dog slow because of their six speed gearbox and relative lighter weight than a WRX....

·
Registered
432 Posts
What's the HP/TQ numbers and engine configuration on the new SVT focus? They can probably move with some mods.

·
Registered
538 Posts
jigga said:

I ended up playing catch up to him, but I easily caught up with him, but passing was another issue. Now on the roads that we were racing on, trafic was VERY light..almost none-existent, but then, as soon as I would go to pass the Focus, some driver would join the road ahead of me in my lane, causing me to have to hit the brakes and let the focus go. This happened twice, and at my which point, my friend and I decided that it was not worth the hassle and turned off at the next set of lights.

Huh? If the traffic was as light as you insinuated, dispensing of the focus should have been relatively light work for a Stage2 WRX. On the other hand, if the traffic was heavy enough as to cause you to get on the brakes twice, perhaps you need to re-think where and when you're going to race, IMHO.

as we approached the parking lot, I then noticed that I had left the heater and rear defroster on all of the time, leading me to believe that I could have pulled on the Focus even more convincingly....

What? Do you have the only eletric-powered WRX in the country. If not, the heater & rear defroster have no bearing on your performance. Period.

Inconclusion, I would have to say that the SVT focus is not dog slow from a roll, but then, it is not all that fast either. Now granted, I am not stock, but even with the momentum that he gained by getting the jump on me both times, I was able to pull back on him (even with my power accessories sapping power from the engine). I think a stock wrx coud take one out from a roll, but in a quick short race, they are not dog slow because of their six speed gearbox and relative lighter weight than a WRX....

In conclusion, this is a story better left untold. Furthermore, you should have paid your buddy to never speak of this encounter again. sheesh!:rolleyes:

Curtis

·
Registered
211 Posts
2 cents

stage 2 should have absolutely crushed a svt focus.......

·
Registered
88 Posts
lstepnio said:
You're silly, your heater and your defroster is not going to draw any power from your engine.
Actually, I'm pretty sure that the defroster WILL turn the a/c compressor on. Get in your rex and turn it on at idle. You should hear the ignition of the compressor.

- boosted 4

·
Moderating U!
4,192 Posts
boosted 4 said:
Actually, I'm pretty sure that the defroster WILL turn the a/c compressor on. Get in your rex and turn it on at idle. You should hear the ignition of the compressor.

- boosted 4
I second that one. The defroster does run the a/c compressor, but the a/c compressor intermittently goes on an off. I have noticed this since I use it a lot this winter. It also puts such a load on the engine when at idle that when my turbo timer is counting down, and the alarm is activated, the a/c comes on and shakes my car for a moment, and makes my alarm goes off.

Kurlee Daddee
(THE ORIGINAL)

·
Registered
577 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Re: Re: Had a run in with the Ford Focus SVT

TurbeauxREX said:
In conclusion, this is a story better left untold. Furthermore, you should have paid your buddy to never speak of this encounter again. sheesh!:rolleyes:

Curtis
Wow, I thnk you need to relax a little there. I am simply telling things as it happened. It is not like I own a Focus or something. As I mentioned before, the SVT driver got the jump both times, while I played catch up. Furthermore, as I mentioned before, I reeled him in very easily, but as I was passing, someone joined the road ahead of us in my lane, forcing me to back off. I could have kept on going, but I am not too sure that the driver who joined the road knew what was going on behind him, as he was driving at a much lower speed than we were going at the time.....

As boosted 4 mentioned, if you turn on your car and turn the heater and rear defroster on (with the dial set to shoot the air into the windows), you will notice that the AC compressor kicks in.
This will sap your car of power, DRASTICALLY reducing performance. I don't care what stage your car is at....If you try to race anything while the AC compressor is running, you will not get anywhere as fast as you would without the compressor and other accessories running.

Curtis, may I ask what mods you have on your car?? Just curious.

As I mentioned before, I told the story as it went. The Focus driver was alone in his car, while I was with my friend in my car. I weigh about 210lb, with my friend at about 240lb.

·
Registered
577 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Re: 2 cents

BlackWRX said:
stage 2 should have absolutely crushed a svt focus.......
I wholeheartedly agree with you. Even with the SVT getting the jump, I was able to reel him in very easily. I am just not sure as to why the hostility from Curtis.

As mentioned before, I also was not giving it all I had simply because I am not too comfortable doing so with the wintergas and the very cold temperatures that most in Canada are getting right now.

·
Registered
311 Posts
When you guys say Stage 2, how do you know if its TXS or Vishnu? Im assuming its TXS, because Vishnu's is more potent considering same naming.

·
Registered
577 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Mr. Fancypants said:
When you guys say Stage 2, how do you know if its TXS or Vishnu? Im assuming its TXS, because Vishnu's is more potent considering same naming.
I appologise for that! I meant TurboXS stage 2......

Vishnu's stage 2 is equivalent (I think) to TurbXS' stage 4 package, which I should be going on to in a few weeks...

·
Registered
414 Posts
Re: Re: Re: Had a run in with the Ford Focus SVT

jigga said:

As boosted 4 mentioned, if you turn on your car and turn the heater and rear defroster on (with the dial set to shoot the air into the windows), you will notice that the AC compressor kicks in.
This will sap your car of power, DRASTICALLY reducing performance. I don't care what stage your car is at....If you try to race anything while the AC compressor is running, you will not get anywhere as fast as you would without the compressor and other accessories running.
Acctually, dosn't the TPS temporaraly shut off the A/C compressor at WOT?

I know that it does in my '92 Lecacy and I assume that it does in my WRX, but I don't take the WRX skiing so I don't use the defrost function much on it.

Just stirring the pot........:D

Later, T.J.

·
Registered
538 Posts
Re: Re: Re: Had a run in with the Ford Focus SVT

jigga said:
Wow, I thnk you need to relax a little there.

Curtis, may I ask what mods you have on your car?? Just curious.

As I mentioned before, I told the story as it went. The Focus driver was alone in his car, while I was with my friend in my car. I weigh about 210lb, with my friend at about 240lb.
Dear jigga,

I'm sorry if you interpreted my tongue-in-cheek sarcasm for hostility. Your bad.

As for the heater/defroster points you raised in your initial message, as well as in your reply: rear defroster does zero, zilch, nada to power. Nothing. Now, even if you meant to say the front windshield defroster, yes, it does cycle the A/C compressor, however, as someone mentioned, at WOT, the A/C compressor is turned off, resulting in, again, zero loss of power.

As to my closing comments, I would be embarassed to publically admit that I got beat by an SVT FOCUS in my (TXS) Stg 2 WRX. Unless you were looking to elicit a certain response, say a public berating, I could see no reason to tell that story.

As for my mods:

APS/COBB Club Spec kit
H&R springs
Whiteline sways front & rear
Whiteline rear strut tower brace
Porterfield R4s pads, front & rear
SS brake lines
17 x 7.5 subzeros w/ 225/45-17 Potenza S03s

Even though I don't condone street racing in any way shape or form, I would gladly spank an SVT FOCUS any day. And if I didn't, I sure as hell wouldn't broadcast it on the internet.

Peace,

Curtis

·
Registered
577 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
Re: Re: Re: Re: Had a run in with the Ford Focus SVT

TurbeauxREX said:
Dear jigga,

I'm sorry if you interpreted my tongue-in-cheek sarcasm for hostility. Your bad.

As for the heater/defroster points you raised in your initial message, as well as in your reply: rear defroster does zero, zilch, nada to power. Nothing. Now, even if you meant to say the front windshield defroster, yes, it does cycle the A/C compressor, however, as someone mentioned, at WOT, the A/C compressor is turned off, resulting in, again, zero loss of power.

As to my closing comments, I would be embarassed to publically admit that I got beat by an SVT FOCUS in my (TXS) Stg 2 WRX. Unless you were looking to elicit a certain response, say a public berating, I could see no reason to tell that story.

As for my mods:

APS/COBB Club Spec kit
H&R springs
Whiteline sways front & rear
Whiteline rear strut tower brace
Porterfield R4s pads, front & rear
SS brake lines
17 x 7.5 subzeros w/ 225/45-17 Potenza S03s

Even though I don't condone street racing in any way shape or form, I would gladly spank an SVT FOCUS any day. And if I didn't, I sure as hell wouldn't broadcast it on the internet.

Peace,

Curtis
Please re read what I said earlier... I was not pushing to the max because of the cold weather and winter gas that we have. Also, at no point above did I mention that I went WOT at which point the ECU would cut out the AC compressor. And I never at any point said that I could not take out an SVT focus with my car at it's present state. With temperatures hovering at -11 degrees, and with winter gas in your fuel tank, would you go WOT with a generic unichip tune and risk damage just for the sake of winning a race against a car you know could be ousted easily?

Again, please re-read my statements above. I am sorry if I did not pick up your sarcasm earlier, but I am trying to respond to you in a respectable and friendly manner. The Focus driver and I did not start at the same time. He went first. I then quickly reeled him in. As I was passing him (at about 120km/h on a 50km/h road at this point), I noticed a car join in the road from a driveway in MY lane about 50 meters in front of me accelerating to the speedlimit on the road, which was 50km/h. Now since I was just in the process of blowing past the Focus, I did not have enough time to check my mirrors and my blindspot to ensure I had the clearance to swerve over onto the Focus driver's lane in order to avoid rear ending the driver that joined the road. I was not sure that I could do this safely, so what I did was to hit the brakes hard. The second time we went at it, he left early again for some reason. As I went by him, I had to hit the brakes again since we were comming up not only on traffic in my lane, but the intersection where I turn off to go home.

Now Yes, we probably could have picked a better road than one with a 50KM/H limit to be duking it out on, but then, I made the judgement to go for it, and that was what happened. In addition, please note that it was not on a dead straight road, but then, as I approached the parking lot, I looked down and saw that I had not turned the defrosters off (front and rear) before the race, but then again, I now see that it would have made a huge difference since I NEVER went WOT with my car because of the conditions I expressed earlier. In fact I was happy that I did not need to go WOT in order to almost instantaneously reel it in and pass it, but again, I did not have the space (open road) in front of me to pull away from him before having to slow down again. As soon as I got past, I had to hit the brakes hard so that I did not rear end the slow-moving car that was in my lane

Again, if you re-read my original statement, you will see that i did not want to push things because of the temperatures outside, and the kind of gas that was in the tank. During warmer temps in Summer, I have no probs beating the hell out of the car or any other car that wants to play,because I know that I am running the car hard in conditions that are most likely similar to those that TurboXS programmed the unichip for, but not during the middle of winter since I am not so sure that TurboXS had WOT runs at -11 degrees with wintergas and cold air intakes in mind when they made the maps for their unichips.As is right now, my ECU is constantly pulling timing because of the temps and the overboosting experienced in this winter season, which is why some people that run up here have 2 separate unichips for summer and another for winter tuned for gas and temps. Mine is the standard "summer" tune straight from TurboXS.

To be honest, I do not see anywhere I posted implicitly that I was beaten by an SVT focus..... do you?? You seem to think that way because I hit the brakes both times before pulling away from the car....

Take care.

Curtis, please check your pm's. I have a question for you.

·
Registered
538 Posts
Yea, Richard, it's all good.:D

This will be my last reply on this thread/topic.

jigga,

Considering all of the environmental conditions that you detailed in your last reply, you should not have been attempting to race anyone, for any reason.

As for -11 deg F temps, that's not in my vocabulary. I live less than 100 miles north of the Gulf of Mexico.:cool:

And lastly, FYI: Any form of drag racing, be it at the track (where it belongs, IMO) or on the street, generally involves WOT. If you're not on the gas, you're not racing.

Have a nice day:)

Curtis

·
Registered
577 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
TurbeauxREX said:
Yea, Richard, it's all good.:D

This will be my last reply on this thread/topic.

jigga,

Considering all of the environmental conditions that you detailed in your last reply, you should not have been attempting to race anyone, for any reason.

As for -11 deg F temps, that's not in my vocabulary. I live less than 100 miles north of the Gulf of Mexico.:cool:

And lastly, FYI: Any form of drag racing, be it at the track (where it belongs, IMO) or on the street, generally involves WOT. If you're not on the gas, you're not racing.

Have a nice day:)

Curtis
Yes, I admitt that the conditions were not best for racing, but it was a clear night.. Just bitterly cold outside.

Please check your PM's... I have a question regarding one of your mods

Thanks

1 - 20 of 22 Posts