Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
538 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For those that want to know before spending your dough, check out the photo of my black rex with H&R springs (~1.5" drop) compared head-to-head with a stock WRX.

Peace,

Curtis

·
Registered
416 Posts
That looks really nice lowered an inch and a half. I already ordered sub-zeros. The H&R springs will be next. So that is very informative for me. Thanks for the post!

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
Wow! Didn't realize my car was so much lower than stock. I can really feel it when I hit the bumpy roads though! :)

·
Registered
169 Posts
So how is the comfort level for you guys?

do they get bouncy on rough roads?

Thanks, I'm looking into getting some springs myself.

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
They're not BOUNCY, but they're STIFF. My only other experience with lowering springs in a car was my '94 Mustang GT with an Eibach kit and it was nowhere near as stiff as my WRX.

I had a '95 S10 that was dropped 3/4 with spindle, Eibach springs, and 4" leafs in the back and it rode smoother than my H&R's.

While I LOVE the look and the handling, the ride on bumpy roads/avoiding potholes/rough pavement is wearing a BIT thin. Please keep in mind I'm a crotchety 30 year old driving on some REALLY bad roads here in Honolulu. Your tolerance may be WAY higher than mine.

Every time I contemplate switching them out for a set of Eibachs I get a compliment on the looks of the car and I decide to take a sweeper off-ramp at speed and then I'm sold on the H&R's again.

Their saving grace is that on smooth pavement, and even some elevation changes they're WONDERFUL. It's just the choppy stuff that upsets the car since the spring install.

Aloha,
Richard...

·
Registered
538 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Not bad

Rice Boi said:
So how is the comfort level for you guys?

do they get bouncy on rough roads?

Thanks, I'm looking into getting some springs myself.
The ride depends on the roads you drive. Here in the New Orleans area, we have lots of crappy roads. Even our interstate system is bumpy.

The ride is definitely stiffer than stock, sometimes jarring if you hit a sizable square-edged bump, but overall, it's OK. I like that feeling of being tossed around a bit, but I lived for a long time in an 85 RX7 with very stiff suspension. This is like going home again.

I, too, have to agree with Richard's sentiment on this whole ride thing. Regardless of the bumps, when you crank the wheel and the car responds, you get that grin and forget about the bumps.

I also added the anti-lift kit when I did the springs. The car turns in like a beast, now. Not all of the understeer is dialed out, yet, but it's nice to have to deal with a little oversteer for a change. Especially since adding the whiteline sway bars.

Peace,

Curtis

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
Curtis,

I've seen a lot of posts regardin the ALK - but nothing really concrete. Does it really make you feel as if you could hang the tail end of the car out if you tromped on it like good ol' RWD cars?

While I love the AWD in the WRX, the feeling of being able to modulate corner positioning with the throttle is something I miss from my Mustang... However that car handled like a pig (AFTER it's upgraded suspension) and needed throttle-modulated oversteer just to help it perform acceptably in anything but a straight line... :)

·
Registered
14 Posts
I agree with is2Scooby, I just installed mine last night, about 10 hours ago, and ended up taking the car out after and the ride was very good. It was stiff but not doing the hibidy-dibidy down the road. I liked how it felt. It handled very nice. I have some low pro's too, 215/35/18 and the ride still wasn't bad. She handles awsome now! I would include some pics but I can't figure out how to get them on here! :confused: I would recommend these springs. The process for me took about 4 hours with 2 people, that included taking the back seat out and clean up.

Adam
02 Sedan

·
Registered
538 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
is2scooby said:
Curtis,

I've seen a lot of posts regardin the ALK - but nothing really concrete. Does it really make you feel as if you could hang the tail end of the car out if you tromped on it like good ol' RWD cars?

In a word: no. At least not at my power level (~220 @ wheels). My friend's RT Spec WRX says he can steer with the throttle. Maybe I just need more power.

Peace,

Curtis

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
Don't well all? :) (re: maybe I just need more power) :D

·
Registered
266 Posts
I had lowering springs on my previous car. My question is, how long would your stock shocks last with these? I know the subaru shocks are alot tougher than others.

·
Registered
102 Posts
215/35/18??? on a 2002 Sedan????

:eek: :confused:

·
Registered
538 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
BlackBoo said:
Yeah, turbeaux, what wheels are those.I like em.
Thanks.

Rota Subzeros, 17 x 7.5, +48mm offset. Silver with polished lip. 225/45zr17 Bridgestone Potneza S03 tires.

~$1300 for the set, mounted, balanced and delivered from
www.revolutionmotorsports.com. Check 'em out, they've got very good prices on Rota wheel packages.

Peace,

Curtis

·
Registered
188 Posts
i have H&R springs in my car with the stock shocks, been about 7 or 8 months with them like that, just starting the stock shocks begining to suck, but they not that bad yet,

·
Registered
3 Posts
Nice looking setup with the springs. I have the exact wheel/tire package (from Revolution too) and it makes a world of difference. It is hard to tell from the pictures but do the springs lower the rear too much (rear lower than front so that the car slopes back)?

TurbeauxREX said:

Thanks.

Rota Subzeros, 17 x 7.5, +48mm offset. Silver with polished lip. 225/45zr17 Bridgestone Potneza S03 tires.

~$1300 for the set, mounted, balanced and delivered from
www.revolutionmotorsports.com. Check 'em out, they've got very good prices on Rota wheel packages.

Peace,

Curtis

·
Registered
538 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
TubeDriver said:
Nice looking setup with the springs. I have the exact wheel/tire package (from Revolution too) and it makes a world of difference. It is hard to tell from the pictures but do the springs lower the rear too much (rear lower than front so that the car slopes back)?

Sorry, this is really late. If you're still interested, look at the pic in the first message. The car has a nose-down attitude.

Peace,

Curtis

1 - 20 of 24 Posts