ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so i just got an unmolested 2005 WRX wagon, and i am wanting to do my first modification. I am wanting to know if i can put an H.I.D kit in stock headlights with out any problems. I am just worried about melting the stock bowls or anything of that nature. Any input on this or D.I.Y's would be greatly appreciated.

·
Super Moderator (Actually a SuperSpy)
29,204 Posts
I would not. Look into HIR bulbs instead. The beam pattern will be correct with those but not with HIDs. HIR will be more reliable likely too.

·
Good news, everyone!
3,856 Posts
A question answered MANY times before. In lieu of typing out a long winded reply again, I'm going to encourage you to search on this site for the full explanation of the answer: no, it is not okay.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the quick replies guys. Also one more quick question, my fog lights are not working and i have checked all of the relays and fuses and they are fine. The button for the fog lights does not light up when i press it. Just wondering what it could be?

·
Registered
2,663 Posts
Did you check the bulbs? If the bulbs are out the light doesn't light up (at least on mine)

·
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
5,808 Posts
Cliffnotes:

*"HID kits", like those found for a dime a dozen on ebay, should NOT be installed. The filment in the HID bulb illuminates differently than a standard halogen bulb, throwing off the beam spread. You will blind oncoming traffic, and the beam is shorter, so ironically you'll see LESS, although reflective surfaces can appear brighter.

*"HID Retrofits" modify the headlights and add DOT legal OEM HID components, including projector housings, lenses, bulbs, and ballasts. This requires permanent and often irreversible modification of your headlights, but is properly designed for HID technology to produce a legal HID beam pattern. A good setup of retrofit components will start at about $300, and go up (a lot) from there, depending on what parts you choose, and if you pay a company like LightWerkz to do it for you.

HIR bulbs are an emerging technology that use halogon-type filaments burning much hotter than standard halogen bulbs. If you can find them (the Chevy Avalanche uses/d them), they should be a drop in replacement to the bulbs you have (no ballast or anything), be much brighter, and safe and legal as far as beam patterns and spread goes.

Cliffnotes of the cliffnotes:

*HID kits/bulbs - BAD
*Proper HID retrofits - much better
*HIR bulbs - cheapest and safest, if you can find them

1 - 6 of 6 Posts