Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone gutted out their 3rd cat? Yes, I searched and found nothing.

This seems an easy way to save $100-150 for the eliminator pipe. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
1,843 Posts
i was actually thinking of this...gutting my dp cat and the 3rd cat because i dont have a job and cant afford a new exhaust right now..the problem that i ran into was that a lot of people hang onto that 3rd cat so they can put it in when emissions test day rolls around..and if you drill that out you wont have a good cat for that test. and i think the new subie cats are like over 500 bucks

·
Registered
95 Posts
It is definately a good bang for the buck to gut the third cat. But just remember, you want zero back-pressure for your turbo car and your stock midpipe is only 2.25" so you'll be losing some power vs a 3" system.

·
Registered
142 Posts
I gutted mine and have a straight pipe after it and love the sound.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Mattr762 said:
It is definately a good bang for the buck to gut the third cat. But just remember, you want zero back-pressure for your turbo car and your stock midpipe is only 2.25" so you'll be losing some power vs a 3" system.
Good point, but I plan on keeping the stock catback anyway. Deleting that last cat should still give me good gains, as it's definitely the most restrictive point in my current exhaust setup.

Do you happen to know if the TXS 3rd cat eliminator will work with the stock catback? I doubt it, from the pictures. It seems to be a different shape than the Stromung or Bosal pipes.

·
Registered
39 Posts
If anyone is interested, i have my stock down and midpipe just laying around my garage. Prime candidates for gutting. I would gladly sell these items for fairly low dollars.

Thanks and sorry for the personal pimp job :(

RB

·
Registered
142 Posts

·
Registered
423 Posts
I did mine ahd it took longer to get the pipe out than it did to gut it. I used a 3/4" and a 1/2" drill bit along with a long screw driver. Used the drill to punch a bunch of holes in the cat and then used the screw driver to knock the rest out.

Easiest cat Ive ever gutted.

·
Registered
7,911 Posts
Smog test

If you gut the 3rd cat only will you still be able to pass smog?

·
Registered
74 Posts
ok i am going to try and install my new gutted midpipe this weekend if the weather is nice. When I go to remove my stock one, do i unclip the 02 sensor before i unbolt the mid section? Where does it unclip? I am just confused on how to handle the sensor. thanks

·
Registered
429 Posts
cavallino333 said:
If you gut the 3rd cat only will you still be able to pass smog?
Depends on the way your emmissions are. In AZ. they plug in a deal to see if its giving the any codes, and do a visual of the cat. So if you pass the visual then your OK.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts