ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,

I stumbled across this link while perusing some engine maintenance articles on another website:

Here is what happens when you dont replace your up pipe. - NASIOC

This troubles me- I never considered swapping out my uppipe to a catless AM one since it wouldn't pass visual (smog) inspection here in CA but I definitely don't want to deal with a blown turbo thanks to a shabby stock uppipe. My 04 WRX is getting up there in years now and is well past warranty, so I think it's time for me to do something to preempt this disaster. Ideas? I'd like to avoid an OEM uppipe since it seems like all I'd be doing is buying time.. Not sure what other options there really are though...

Thanks.

·
Super Moderator (Actually a SuperSpy)
29,452 Posts
You should not pass with a gutted up pipe, but you almost certainly will provided you eliminate the CEL and generate a "ready" from every sensor. To do so, you can look into the simple resistor fix but implement it discretely. Your actual emissions when tested will be no worse than they would have been with the correct up pipe in place, likely; it is your cold start emissions that will suffer (along with everyone's lungs) but those are not tested (take the car in well warmed up always).

Incidentally, most up pipe cats do not fail as far as the numbers show so far (ten years for the earliest cars in the US at this stage). However the statistics won't help you if yours does fail, so I can see your concern. I've kept mine so far and will likely continue to do so (I like breathing, plus my back is not what it used to be).

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the links- the numbers are quite surprising actually. I would entertain the idea of a gutted UP except that I do not trust myself with the process... Not sure I have to tools to do a thorough job and dont want to risk the possibility of residual particles flying into the turbo which is what I am trying to avoid in the first place..

So the 06+ WRX no longer have the cat on the UP is that correct? Anyone know if an 06 UP would fit in an 04?

I hear what youre saying SD_GR, i'll probably end up saying screw it and leave the stock on in the end.. Not sure I want to start screwing around with the resistor fix and the CEL. So many things to consider..

·
Super Moderator (Actually a SuperSpy)
29,452 Posts
A catless stock Subaru up pipe should fit. You will still need a CEL fix to pass smog though. People love catless up pipes so it's something to consider definitely.

·
Master Baiter
22,115 Posts
As SD mentioned, legally, it wouldn't pass. However, if you do the appropriate resistor fix, it is highly unlikely you could possibly fail with a gutted OE uppipe. Power everywhere, spool / throttle response, and no risk of a destroyed turbo. What's the reason you wouldn't want to do this?

Subie Doobie said:
Not sure I want to start screwing around with the resistor fix and the CEL. So many things to consider..
It's a sub-$1 part that replaces the OE EGT sensor. There's nothing to "screw around" with...

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Guess I should've been more clear- I'm not interested in a DIY gutting of my current OEM UP. I was reading through some posts on it and it looks like a gnarly process. But a OEM catless I would definitely get on board with, just wasn't sure that the 06+ would fit on my WRX.

It's a sub-$1 part that replaces the OE EGT sensor. There's nothing to "screw around" with...
For some reason I thought it required rewiring and didn't realize it was a straightforward deal. I tend to get hesitant about electrical work but I'll be looking into this for sure. Anyone have some links to recommend on the subject?

Thanks for all the input! It's greatly appreciated.
:wave:

·
Premium Member
17,655 Posts
The 06+ up pipe will fit.. and if you put on the stock heat shield, a tester wouldn't take the time to look under the heatshields to verify that there is a cat in the up pipe.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts