ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 86 Posts

·
Registered
5,207 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
The ban that was set on assalt wepons will expire monday at midnight and congress isnt going to re pass it. basicly after monday 19 assalt wepons that where illegal are going to be legal and they are going to do nothing about it. that means you will beable to walk in to a gun shop and purchase a machine gun.:eek3: and have it be legal

http://washingtontimes.com/national/20040908-104359-9707r.htm

well time to go get me an ak-47:confused1

·
Registered
2,475 Posts
Finally, logic wins out!:wiggles:

Now if they could just get rid of the ten round limit to magazines!!

·
Registered
2,599 Posts
WRXTwiztid said:
that means you will beable to walk in to a gun shop and purchase a machine gun
No, you can't buy a machine gun or automatic rifle without a permit. The guns that were banned were semiautomatic.

And I am very happy about the expiration.

·
Registered
712 Posts
Interesting. But what about local gun laws? There are a lot of communities in the Chicago area (especially the North Shore) that have a total ban on all guns, IIRC. The NRA website holds Evanston up as an example of really bad legislation. Handguns are totally banninated in Chicago, Evanston, and most places north of there. I always thought that Federal law trumps State and Local, but it seems to not be the case with gun laws.

I live in the 'burbs, now, though. Guns for everyone!

·
Banned
8,368 Posts
Re: Re: gun ban expires monday!

zoophagy said:
I am very happy about the expiration.
The right to bear arms... good stuff. It's not for protection nor for hunting, it's to overthrow a tyranical government should such a thing become necessary. More to the point, by being armed the government cannot become tyranical.

The problem isn't with what guns are allowed and what isn't. In fact, I think if we have the right to bear arms and the government says "You can have those guns over there. Not these good ones" is akin to saying we have freedom of speech "you have the freedom to say those things, but you can't say anything against this government/regime". The problem is that people who have committed crimes with guns are still alive.

There is no issue of federal law trumping state laws. That would only apply if they conflicted. They do not. There isn't a law that says "you may have these guns"... just the ban is removed. I would think any place that bans handguns would simply argue the laws are unconstitutional.

·
Registered
2,834 Posts
Re: Re: gun ban expires monday!

zoophagy said:
No, you can't buy a machine gun or automatic rifle without a permit. The guns that were banned were semiautomatic.

And I am very happy about the expiration.
Correct. Thank God this is finally going to end! :wiggles:

It is/was a pointless law. If someone wants to kill someone else, they're going to find a way. Hell, even with the law, people could still go out and buy a semi-automatic .36-06, .257, .270, or whatever that would proabably be more accurate than an "assault rifle" anyway. The only thing that law did was keep people who like collecting/shooting "assault rifles" from collecting/shooting them. Anybody intent on committing a crime would have simply found one anyway or used something else.

Also, the ban on large clips was pointless as well. Anyone that could walk into a gun show or pick up the classified ads could buy them anyway.

:wiggles: :wiggles: :wiggles:

·
Registered
3,250 Posts
Who cares, crime will happen no matter what (even though it is a sh1t that is worth kicking), stupidity will thrive no matter what.......what's the big deal.....I am sure some good old boys are having wet dreams though, espcially the ones that paid a lot of money for this to keep from being renewed so they can make their pockets even fatter...

-joe

·
Registered
5,207 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
i didnt say i was agenst it i think it cool. i just thouht it was weird. i no stuff willl happen either way that why i dont care if they ban them or not

·
Banned
8,368 Posts
I don't think I'll ever get tired of quoting old dead guys.

A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun. While this gives moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprise and independence to the mind. Games played with the ball, and others of that nature, are too violent for the body and stamp no character on the mind. Let your gun therefore be your constant companion of your walks.

Thomas Jefferson, letter to Peter Carr, August 19, 1785

·
Registered
5,207 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
nice nice ;). do you have to be 18 to get a foid card (sp) or is it void lol. or do you only have to be 18 to purchase the wepon. and as long as u have the card and such u can use them?

·
Registered
4,016 Posts
i dont think good ol TJ had a 30 round clip automatic AK47 in mind when he wrote that.

im all for the right to carry. i just dont see a point in assault rifles...other than collecting.

·
Banned
8,368 Posts
gusto said:
i dont think good ol TJ had a 30 round clip automatic AK47 in mind when he wrote that.

im all for the right to carry. i just dont see a point in assault rifles...other than collecting.
No, he probably didn't. But it's hardly fair to hold him to that... I mean... they hadn't been invented yet. They didn't say the right to bear muskets, did they? Arms.

The point of an assault rifle is to shoot people. I thought that was obvious.

·
Banned
8,368 Posts
gusto said:
thanks for pointing that out.

:rolleyes:

:p
No, seriously. For some reason those who don't like guns have argued that you don't need a gun unless you can hunt or defend yourself with it, and those guns aren't useful for that. Errr... I don't know where the idea that those are the only valid uses for guns came from.

Another valid use for guns is to shoot people. It's not so much that you will shoot people, but that you can shoot people. I don't have the time to go searching through all the founding fathers quotes right now... but, take a look at the Federalist Papers... the section "Concerning the Militia". The idea is that if the citizens have guns, the government can't just say "you'll do it, and you'll like it", because eventually we'll get tired of that government, and we have the weapons to do something about it.

You can argue it is archaic, and that's about it. Our crime problem isn't from allowing guns, it's from our culture. It's from making our prisons nice and pretty and making sure our criminals can get an education while behind bars. We want them to have a TV and be happy while incarcerated. People aren't even ashamed to admit they've been in jail!

So... yeah, we won our independence with guns... they're not bad things. Bad things are committed by people. Those people suck.

·
Registered
2,635 Posts
dielectric said:
Interesting. But what about local gun laws? There are a lot of communities in the Chicago area (especially the North Shore) that have a total ban on all guns, IIRC. The NRA website holds Evanston up as an example of really bad legislation. Handguns are totally banninated in Chicago, Evanston, and most places north of there. I always thought that Federal law trumps State and Local, but it seems to not be the case with gun laws.

I live in the 'burbs, now, though. Guns for everyone!
Federal law only trumps your local law if you take it to court. The FEDERAL Constitution says, "right to keep and bear arms," and the 14th amendment gaurantees equal protection under the constitution, no matter where you live. The U.S. constitution always rules over localities; that's why the 14th amendment is in there...

btw - I thought the ban was unnecessary. With terrorists around, I think we should all tote ak-47's around just normally. Then, if someone takes a hostage you just blast 'em. :wiggle:

-snowcat

·
Registered
201 Posts
I am thrilled to death that Clintons LIE is going to expire. What a hoax on intelligent people everywhere. And it really doesn't matter to me, I carry a full auto M-4 with me for 8 hours a day, but it is a lousy law, never worked.

Just a thought, please offer any reasonable answer:

If you make these 'assault rifles' illegal, because you don't want 'crazies' to kill people with them, consider this:

--If you are crazy enough to commit murder, and possibly face life without parole, or even the death penalty, why would be you give a Rats Ass about breaking some 'assault weapons law'??

The only people who are affected by these gun control laws, are the people who respect the law, not the criminals who break the law. Geezzz!!!!

Woops, sorry to get so worked up, I am cool..
:cool:

Sean

·
Registered
5,534 Posts
WRXTwiztid said:
The ban that was set on assalt wepons will expire monday at midnight and congress isnt going to re pass it. basicly after monday 19 assalt wepons that where illegal are going to be legal and they are going to do nothing about it. that means you will beable to walk in to a gun shop and purchase a machine gun.:eek3: and have it be legal

http://washingtontimes.com/national/20040908-104359-9707r.htm

well time to go get me an ak-47:confused1
dude, read about the law, lol.

Yeah i'm glad that bs is over...

I agree 100% w/ zem.

1 - 20 of 86 Posts