ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Not Asian
1,069 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There's been some chatter about bilstein re-valve versus no re-valve so I posted a short review on NASIOC and wanted to post it here as well...

"I know there's been some interest in a review of the GTWorx Bilsteins that haven't been re-valved to match RCE Blacks. Keep in mind I'm just an average guy without the ability to change up set-ups to test one out against another. Just lucky to get a bonus that allowed me to upgrade my car. So here goes. (Cliffs Notes: I'm happy with the set up. Thanks Myles.)

Set up as of yesterday for my 2011 WRX is Whiteline 24F/22R w/ KB links and, of course the springs and dampers. This car is almost certainly strictly a DD. Thought about some auto X in the future, but I'm still undecided.

I'm not sure exactly how to comment on just the dampers and springs because obviously the handling is affected a lot now by the new sways, alignment, etc. also, so I'll try to keep it to straight line impressions.

Coming from an '04 STi, I know what harsh ride and bobblehead are all about. Best way to describe the ride with this new set up on my WRX is much more refined than my old STi, and a HUGE improvement over the under-damped ride of the OEM 2011 set up.

I know there's been some comments and question about the damper being valved for a 330# spring and over-damped for the Blacks, but honestly, I wasn't feeling it in the course of my in-town drive yesterday and my highway commute today.

In-town, dampers were obviously stiff, but I felt the softer RCE Blacks ate up some of that nicely. I literally looked for every manhole and uneven pavement to run over from the shop to my house and nothing I hit made me think it'd be rough to deal with long-term. My favorite part was the fact that the car didn't feel like it rebounded or bounced much. It ate whatever I threw at it and, while I could feel every imperfection in the road, that's what I expected and what I was looking for. Nothing I hit felt like I'd used all of my suspension up like what happened with the OEM set up. I'll be taking it by some of the classic "thud" areas in my area soon to see what happens, but I expect I'll be happy with the results.

On the highway, now that's where I was really impressed. At highway speeds, the car really felt like it had a legit sport tuned suspension. No bobblehead like I'd come to expect from my old STi. No jarring. I got a little bit of bounce, but every time that happened the car settled quickly. Nothing that made me think I'd be frustrated after a multiple hour drive. It

So all of this now does have me curious how much "softer" the ride would really feel with a re-valve. I'm not sure I would want it to be any softer really. I'm not sure what the additional cost of that is either, but at the moment, I'm perfectly content with the way the car is. Whatever the cost, it's likely not justified for me specifically. I'd love to compare the two, but it isn't going to happen unless I find someone at a meet or locally that's done the re-valve.

That's it until I get a chance to get some more miles in. My wife hasn't been in it yet so it'll be interesting to hear her impressions. She hated the STi and I was shooting for somewhere in the middle."

·
Master Baiter
22,115 Posts
Alignment specs?

·
Not Asian
1,069 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
-1.5 all around if I remember correctly.

·
Premium Member
10,822 Posts
Nice.I may look into these.

There is a combo deal on NASIOC by TiC for RCE Blacks with Konis that expires tomorrow.Its either those or Epic springs with Koni struts.

·
Premium Member
4,376 Posts
I've been really tempted to buy the dampers for mine with blacks. I've decided I gotta put them towards the bottom of my list for a while. Should at least put some miles on the stock ones first I guess =(.

·
Master Baiter
22,115 Posts
Ying said:
-1.5 all around if I remember correctly.
Confirm, if you have the ability. Also, before/after specs.

This will help with interpreting your "impressions"...

·
Not Asian
1,069 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Confirm, if you have the ability. Also, before/after specs.

This will help with interpreting your "impressions"...
Ew, might not be able to get before specs. They were aligned to factory specs prior to the new suspension but I'm not sure how out of whack they were on Monday. Did not request that data. I can tell you that the rears were -1.5 on the mark because he didn't mess with the rear at all. For "after", I'm probably going in next week to put it back on the rack to check alignment and make sure everything is settling in so I should have those.

·
Gold Member
2,175 Posts
Congrats, and thanks for the write-up.

·
Master Baiter
22,115 Posts
Ying said:
Ew, might not be able to get before specs. They were aligned to factory specs prior to the new suspension but I'm not sure how out of whack they were on Monday. Did not request that data. I can tell you that the rears were -1.5 on the mark because he didn't mess with the rear at all. For "after", I'm probably going in next week to put it back on the rack to check alignment and make sure everything is settling in so I should have those.
"Factory" is good enough for before specs. I wasn't sure if you'd already done the alignment thing or not...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts