Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm pretty sure it's a GTI, they are a little taller than ur standard Golf right? Anyways, don't know if it was stock or not, but he has it looking pretty dope. 1.8 or VR6 I don't know about either. But I'm go through a light in 2nd at around 20 and I see him a little behind me in the right lane, we're both clear for the race. He's on my bumper and I immediately pick it up and take about 1 car, by the end of 3rd I had like 2-3 cars. Shut down I think somewhere around 60mph.

It was a good race :D I'm stock, don't know much about his car. I'm planning on gettin to work on my car real soon. So far I'm looking at:

TXS Turboback (no cats)
prolly a joep mbc (don't know about a UTEC this soon, want it tuned it a dyno if I do)
Uppipe, prolly the autospeed with the flex joint

With those mods anyone got an estimated hp gain?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
37 Posts
On an upipe and a downpipe your looking at about 40 hp gain with both.I would look into a tubo xs utec that will give an extra 30 right off. It does a lot more stuff the more you add to your car the more hp you can gain from the utec plus from what you get from what you add.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,318 Posts
I think 40 hp is a bit much, most full exhaust only give 30hp. I doubt 40hp just for up and downpipe, but maybe you know of an exhaust i dont.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
416 Posts
I had a run in with an '03 GTI a couple times in town here. Same guy both times. He is a cool guy. We chatted a little at the lights and would run after they turned green. My stock WRX was faster in every situation (unless he had an ungodly jump on me). His GTI is a 1.8T. Damn those turbos are loud. He said he was stock too. Nice car. We eventually got to run with a modified SI. We both smoked the SI. I even gave him a pretty lead at a stop sign and he pushed and pushed that car to no avail! He turned off quickly while I and the GTI continued to race around!
 

·
Thinking Man's Engine
Joined
·
1,598 Posts
GTI's are 2 doors only.

Golf GL are also available in 2 doors.

GTI's get 16" rims as standard equipment
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
577 Posts
I'll tell ya one thing... I think it is the GTi's with the VR6 engine.... Those things sound SOOOOO good with an exhaust system on them...soo smooth sounding. Almost sounds like a straight six engine. There is a guy on campus with one of those on Audi S4 rims and the thing looks really nice. Sporty and pimp at the same time:eek: I would like to have a run with him sometime though....
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
577 Posts
DEADPOOL said:
I think 40 hp is a bit much, most full exhaust only give 30hp. I doubt 40hp just for up and downpipe, but maybe you know of an exhaust i dont.
From what I have heard, catless turboback gives 30HP, while the uppipe is good for spoolup and another 8HP......
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
142 Posts
XtianLA said:
...............by the end of 3rd I had like 2-3 cars. Shut down I think somewhere around 60mph..............
if you're at the end of 3rd......how'd u shut it down at 60? by the end of third, you should be close the 85-90 range.....i can pull to 60 by the end of 2nd
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
25 Posts
Most people know that the chips available to us do wonders... how come you guys don't get the same results... I've heard that chipping your cars is a pain and you get little results like 10hp.. I'm not quoting anybody with those numbers ..

So what is the deal...:confused:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
88 Posts
whodeani said:
Most people know that the chips available to us do wonders... how come you guys don't get the same results... I've heard that chipping your cars is a pain and you get little results like 10hp.. I'm not quoting anybody with those numbers ..

So what is the deal...:confused:
.

Chips suck and are generic, wheather for a VW or a Subaru.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Re: Re: GTI vs. WRX

capt'n'caveman said:
if you're at the end of 3rd......how'd u shut it down at 60? by the end of third, you should be close the 85-90 range.....i can pull to 60 by the end of 2nd
I shifted into second kinda early, and we were on a usually busy street, so what I meant was I basically slowed down and ended the race somewhere around 60.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8 Posts
i used to own a 97 GTI VR6 miss it somtimes, i just had bolt on's chip, intake , cat back exhaust and my best time was 14.9 in the 1/4 mile so my WRX is still slightly faster stock both awsome cars though :cool:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
144 Posts
whodeani said:
Most people know that the chips available to us do wonders... how come you guys don't get the same results... I've heard that chipping your cars is a pain and you get little results like 10hp.. I'm not quoting anybody with those numbers ..

So what is the deal...:confused:
dude,I dunno where pulled that 10hp figure from. for $999 you can get the turboxs UTEC stage one (stage1= piggyback ems that is fully tunable by user/customer and removed silencer, which is a free mod) and that ups the power +35WHP, that's +48hp at the crank. Other companies such as yoshio, cobb, vishnu, etc... offer similar deals(or cheaper) and gains. If you're gonna come on here and post things about the wrx, at least be a little more informed. :rolleyes:

besides, you don't "chip" a stock wrx ecu like you would with a dub. you either remap the stock ecu, replace it with a standalone, or add a piggyback.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
223 Posts
FastARSEWRX said:
If you're gonna come on here and post things about the wrx, at least be a little more informed. :rolleyes:
Come on, give him a break. He was just asking a question based on what he has heard. Honestly, I thought the same thing. I have heard people say that a chip on a WRX is almost useless. While at the same time a VW/Audi gets a huge hp gain. Maybe we are both just wrong, but no need to jump down his throat like that.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
144 Posts
2001S4 said:
Honestly, I thought the same thing. I have heard people say that a chip on a WRX is almost useless. While at the same time a VW/Audi gets a huge hp gain.
let me guess, you got this info from audiworld or vwvortex??
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
223 Posts
FastARSEWRX said:
let me guess, you got this info from audiworld or vwvortex??
NO, I got it from here, from WRX owners. Maybe more of these people have learned about their own cars in the time I have been here. I do not go to those other forums really. My point is simply that you were harsh to him for no reason.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
144 Posts
maybe I was a bit harsh. it's just that i've seen too many posts like this where people make rash statements w/o knowing the facts. it's if i went on to audiworld and said, i've heard that a turboback does nothing for the s4 or i've heard that a k04 doesn't give good gains...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
223 Posts
FastARSEWRX said:
maybe I was a bit harsh. it's just that i've seen too many posts like this where people make rash statements w/o knowing the facts. it's if i went on to audiworld and said, i've heard that a turboback does nothing for the s4 or i've heard that a k04 doesn't give good gains...
That just means you are a bit defensive for no reason. Sorry man. All he did was ask a question. Why would he know about mods and what they would do for a car he does not own? By all means, go to Audiworld and say whatever you wish. You will most likely learn a lot about a car you don't have. Same thing that whodeani was doing here. Good luck, knowledge is power.
 
1 - 20 of 25 Posts
Top