Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2 weeks after I got my car I raced this GTi (i'm 80% sure it's this one) on my way back from San Diego to Irvine, the same place where I raced a GSR this past thursday (or maybe a Type-R, i coulnd't see because it was at night).

Back to the GTi... I was going about 80 or something on where the 405 and the 5 freeway merged at night and from far away the Red Golf looked like a Bimmer. As I pulled up closer I saw this fixed up fixed up GTi and I was thinking damn this thing looks pretty cool :) Then i got curious and wondered if the owner knew anything about our cars because at the time not too many of US were out on the road. So I passed by him and looked inside the car but I couldn't see anything except for the indiglo gauges.

Well, he didn't seem interested and I didn't set off my hazards becuase there were a good amount of cars on the road at that time. Not too long after I merged from the 405/5 to the 405 I noticed a really bright set of headlights shooting up behind me so I downshifted to 4th really quick (at the time i was crusing around 80) and took off. There are 5 lanes on the freeway and I just went for whatever lane that was open because there were a good amount of cars. I looked over to the left and was suprised that he was keeping up and this was the first time I took my car to that speed. Before I know it I had to get off the freeway so I switched a few lanes and slowed down while the GTi kept going. It was a rush but it was stupid becuase there was quite a few cars on the road, and when I slowed down I looked at my speedometer and it showed 120 something.

Last night I was flipping through Sports Compact Car and though "wait a minute, wasn't that the GTi I raced the other day?" It doens't have much engine mods but it does have a Chip, and that thing was pretty damn fast.

Well, the story with the Black integra was kinda boring... but after I merged on to the 405 at about the same place where the GTi sped up, a black Integra wanted to play. I saw him comming and he was going pretty fast by the time he passed me, and again I downshifted to 4th. I caught up fairly quick but we both had to use the brakes because there were tiems when cars are in front of us. I'm not sure if its' a GSR or a Type-R becuase I was focusing on driving, but I'm not sure it's not a GS or an LS. Oh yeah, and I think when we reached about 120 I just blew by him (probably becuase of his fuel cut off) and I jsut slowed down because going any faster at that time doesn't prove anything.

Well, fun stuff... but be careful guys becaue when you race you're not only putting your own life in danger, your'e putting other people in danger, too. Have a safe drive!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Speak for yourself! :D

Maybe that guy with the GTI had more mods than just a chip, you should have blown him away. No more crazy driving like that in traffic! We don't want to give the WRX a bad name. And we also do not want to see the creater of this fine forum 6 feet under if you know what I mean.

Peace out!

Marc

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
True true true, I should definitely stop this kinda stuff :eek: Safety is #1, for yourself AND everyone else on the road!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thats nuts man, but it still doesnt beat me getting up to 140 on some northern road way up in WI. good work though

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Off the line i'm sure the WRX would kill almost anything out there... I wasn't really paying too much attention to the Golf because I was watching out for the traffic but that thing was pretty damn quick. If you guys have the magazine check it out :)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
are you talking about the GTi in SCC that had the 4motion badge?
I couldnt believe that guy would have the nerve to put 4motion on a FWD car when 4motion isnt even available in the US.

What do you call a riced European Car? Potato?

·
Registered
554 Posts
I like potato, we should start calling moded WRXs Potato!!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
i'm not sure if that's the one though becuase you knwo how fixed up cars can look like each other at night. Anyways, let's try to avoid the term "rice" here :)

Root: the WRX is a Japanese car!

·
Registered
554 Posts
I know it's Japanese, and wouldn't want my car called rice because thats what they call hondas/acuras. I think potato is also funny and could catch on as an alternate name for these babies

·
Registered
42 Posts
BlazinWRX: Yesterday I saw a few street races at night. A stock WRX vs stock Integra GSR and then vs a slightly modded Integra. WRX was about 8 cars ahead of stock Integra from the line, and like 4 of the modded one.

Now...When they rolled, the stock integra was only half a car behind, and the modded one was about 2 and a half cars AHEAD!

As for the WRX tranny I think it will hold 280hp or 320hp kits if people don't dump the clutch. Heck... With 320+hp what I need to dump the clutch for? (at least my thoughts)

·
Registered
25 Posts
yeah, w/o being able to launch it hard enuff, our wrx's bog down too much. but that's a good point. y bother dumping the clutch when u have nearly 300 horses? :D

G

·
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Are you talking about the Abt Golf Mk4 in the July issue, cuz I don't think that's even in this country.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
In Australia the WRX is named TRex and In the UK they are called Scooby, after the cartoon Scooby Doo. I think it is time, you modify your WRX. We are lucky in NEw Zealand, that there are vertually no limits to the modifications to our stock road cars. We can replace our cat and replace it with a straight pipe and so on.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts