ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been watching the spirited debate that is flowing across Camaro and Corvette boards about the GT500 and what its performance will be like. I don't like getting flamed for just showing up, so I tend to stay away from the Mustang 6G boards (I still have my nomex suit, but it doesn't fit me any more). I am just hoping to start some thread that may have a little life to it and some active participation. The Zl1 vs Hellcat vs GT500 thread has some ~440 pages to it and grows by one or two pages a day. I've thrown in some others in attempt to draw as many folks as possible into the discussion.

This is a thread about cool cars. What they are like in comparison to each other. The price range is from ~$35K - $400K. I have right seat time in the GT2-RS and we owe each other a swap of keys (long time friends of nearly 30 years). I have real time in the AMG GT-S and the AMG GT-R and several other AMG models. I have never driven a C7 Corvette. I am sure I can do a key trade, if I feel the need. Truth is that I found the C7 a bit awkward for ingress and egress. I was a VIP guest for the C8 road show at the dealership where I purchased the ZL1. I sat in the C8. I am not sure I am there. It may be an upgrade or maybe a lateral move. My "Bucket of Bolts" still fits me (yes, I call the ZL1 "The Bucket of Bolts. The AMG is the "Rust Bucket -- standing line is: If XXX will start, I'll be there). I have right seat time in a couple of Hellcats. True thing: The Ford dealership acted as if I wasn't a GT350 customer and was skeptical of me being able to buy one. I had went in my Ridgeline.

Magazine racing is accepted. Ability to own one is not required (I can't buy a GT2 RS or even an AMG GT-R). Love of cool cars is all that is needed. "If I could, I'd" is a perfectly acceptable opening line.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I will try to add a bit as a discussion starter. The current contention seems to be if the GT500 CFP (Carbon Fiber track Package) will be faster around Big Willow than the ZL1 1LE with the 10 speed auto (10L90). The GT500 came in lighter than was expected, but is still a porker at ~4100-4200 pounds wet. The CFP is a big time dollar add of ~$12,000 to a ~$75,000 base price with some stupid ADMs of $10,000 or more being asked, The early reviews have the GT500 CFP running somewhat faster than the C8 Z51. Those of us who have the Alpha platform are very curious if Ford has built a $100,000 car that will not beat a $75,000 Camaro. There is even some thought that the regular GT500 might lose out to my "Bucket of Bolts" or its brethren.

There are some YouTube and professional racer 10.6 quarter mile times for the GT500. However, the magazine tests have returned 11.20 - 11.50 times. These times are roughly comparable to my "Bucket of Bolts". These are non-prepped times with normal DAs. There are very well documented 10.90s with the ZL1 A10, in totally stock trim including tires, on prepped tracks and good DAs (300 or so).

I haven't even seen a GT500 in the flesh so I can't comment much on it. I can offer up a bit of real-world opinion on a couple of the cars.

I place the ZL1 A10 right between the AMG GT-S and the GT-R. The GT-S was a bit down on power and was a bit tail-happy. The over-steer was easily controllable, but that seemed to be the setup. Being a front / mid-engine vehicle, the movement of inertial was easier to control. The GT-R had more mechanical grip. You can drive it further and faster into the corners. It has more power, so that helps setup corner exit. Both are just wonderful machines. I can't offer the real world track comparison, but I think the GT-R is maybe a tick or two faster than the ZL1 1LE 6 speed. I think the A10 ZL1 1LE would be a very even match.

The CLA 45 was the autocross car for the timed event at the end of the day. Two CLA 45s were beaten on from 9:30AM ish till 6:30PM ish under constant, back to back, autocross runs. The track was a 15 second (winning time) lay out. I did poorly as I couldn't see the cones in the failing light. Coming out of sun glasses into dusky night and colors were simply grey. Low cones were used (save a couple scuff marks, I'm sure) and neither Becky or I could see the route. It was common in our group. We being the oldest participants (period), our eyes betrayed us. I ran a mid 16 second as my best run. These CLA 45s were equipped with the "Track" option. This also brought a launch control feature more easily deployed (ours is buried in the menus). They were balanced and while under-steer is a part of AWD setups (generally), they were planted and pulled at the right places. Braking is strong for the "stop in the box" ending.

Someone tell where the WRX and WRX STI sit versus the Civic or Mustang EcoBoost. Would you buy a GT500 CFP over a C8 Z51 or ZL1 1LE?

·
something else forever
3,897 Posts
Nice cars to fool around with haha!

I had a friend with a very well tuned EcoBoost (six-speed manual) and it was far more effective at putting the power down once things got moving. I would even dare say that it was more reliable considering it was pushing nearly 385 wheel horsepower for over two years with zero issues.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Our EcoBoost in the Bus (Lincoln MKT) puts out 365HP from its twin turbo setup. It has AWD, so it puts the power down fine. Issue is the 4,500 plus pounds that it has to get moving. Handling should best be described as stately. Wonderful ride and quite.

There is a pretty good string gong on Camaro6 after the tests of the GT500 CFP vs ZL1 1LE came out. There are no lap times, but some instrument testing. The magazine picked the ZLE over the GT500 due to content, superior performance in everything, except the quarter mile and a ~$20K price advantage (that is without any dealer ADM).

There is another testing of the GT500 against a 911 GT3. I haven't really paid that much attention to that running thread.

I was lucky enough to have yesterday off (MLK day). It was a bit cooler (~50 degrees with wind) and you could tell both points. The tires and road surfaces were cold. The Bucket of Bolts was digging on the denser air. Interesting combination. More horsepower and less grip. Full nannies and pay attention. However, in a short run through Mexico, it was a way cool pull to XXX mph.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts