ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I just bought a 2009 wrx and have a bit of cash that wants to burn a hole in my pocket. Obviously I have to choose my own path, but i was wondering if i could get some suggestions as to what I could start with.

I was thinking:
1) intake (K&N)
2) down-pipe (Invidia): will it fit stock exhaust? or should i just go all out and get CBE? (
3) Light weight crank pulley (grimmspeed)
4) tune

then down the road:
1) 3 port EBCS
2) injectors
3) fuel pump
4) headers and up-pipe
5) upgraded TMIC ro FMIC

Thoughts?
Feel free to reorganize

also im wondering what manufacturers i should look for/lookout for. DC has cheap prices, but are there products shotty?

·
Master Baiter
22,115 Posts
Skip the crank pulley

What tune were you planning on? Custom or base map?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Custom. Ive heard a lot about Cobbs Accessport, but that its kind of pointless. And does the pulley just not help this early on?

·
Master Baiter
22,115 Posts
09subi said:
Custom. Ive heard a lot about Cobbs Accessport, but that its kind of pointless. And does the pulley just not help this early on?
I just don't think it's worth it.

Where about are you located? Do you have a shop in mind? Before buying parts, make sure you bounce ideas off them, as they may have something they want when they're tuning (e.g., some tuners would prefer you have aftermarket boost control, like a BCS or MBC)

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
don't get the crank pulley - it's really not worth it unless you plan it in as part of some more intense mod plans... you need to do a lot of research to figure out if it's worth it at this point - and I can tell you it's probably not.

Instead, throw on that 3-port EBCS and get it tuned in your first set of plans. Highly recommended upgrade.

As for your later plans, header/uppipe will not be so useful until you're REALLY pushing things - you'll get very, very minimal gains for the money until you're at higher power levels. Injectors shouldn't be changed until you're out of room on your current injectors - probably won't be until you upgrade turbos. The fuel pump won't be useful until you're short on fuel supply... again, get this when you get injectors. And finally, don't get an FMIC. For the cost of more lag, a dangerous bumper, and a lot of money, you get intercooling that is no better than (and often a lot worse than) a very good upgraded TMIC. Really, unless you're flipping your manifold, running a 400+hp turbo, etc. don't consider the FMIC.

What are your goals for the car (eventual goals, not short-term)?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Eventually I want my car to be in the +400hp range. So i want to do some mods now that start working toward that goal, that i wont have to do much tweaking to later.

·
Premium Member
132 Posts
my k&n filter is great but don't over oil or you may get check engine light for the mass air flow sensor. i like my Cobb acsses port but should be tuned by a pro on a dyno. but if you do get check engine light just get mass air flow sensor cleaner and clean it and it will be fine. I just don't trust a dry filter.:shakehead:

·
Registered
2,663 Posts
I just don't trust a dry filter.:shakehead:
Why?? You just admitted that an oiled filter can easily cause MAF issues so why not use a dry filter? Or a pre oiled filter that is non serviceable (SPT intake for example). There are plenty of quality dry filters that work great.

·
Premium Member
132 Posts
in any type of dirt or dusty driving a dry filter offers less protection. iv never had a problem with a dry filter but k&n has always been the best filter for turbo cars and trucks in my opinion. but im willing to try a good dry filter if anyone would like to send me one and will even dyno test to prove my point.

·
Registered
2,663 Posts
I would put an AEM dry filter up against K&N oiled any day

·
Registered
2,663 Posts
Its a great tool if you follow the EXACT map notes (I don't think K&N's intake is supported). However, even then a protune is a better option. They are cool for the features like changing maps quickly on the fly, gauge options on them, anti-theft maps etc etc. If those few features are worth $500+ to you then go for it. I would never take a cobb map over a protune though.

·
Registered
2,663 Posts
Thats like asking how much a prostitute is....it depends on location, quality, and what all your asking for. I know guys that do "pro tunes" on the street for $100. I also know guys that charge $600 for a dyno tune. Best bet is to find a local tuner with a dyno, experience and a lot of people to vouch for them and call them up with your mods list and ask how much a protune would cost.

·
Master Baiter
22,115 Posts
GarrettKoonsman said:
I would put an AEM dry filter up against K&N oiled any day
My APS 65mm CAI is getting an AEM DryFlow to replace the K&N filter (instead of "recharging" it)

·
Registered
6,751 Posts
in any type of dirt or dusty driving a dry filter offers less protection. iv never had a problem with a dry filter but k&n has always been the best filter for turbo cars and trucks in my opinion. but im willing to try a good dry filter if anyone would like to send me one and will even dyno test to prove my point.
That's true, an oiled filter does work better. However, they require building up dirt on them to reduce hold spaces to catch dirt better too. The performance of an oiled filter is highly dependent on the condition of it, and the dirtier it is, the better it filters.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts