ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

I've searched the forums and I've now heard that I should double clutch to get into reverse, this being a common issue but is there a known cause? It's happened to me 3 days in a row thus far. I'd either be pulling up to parallel park or just trying to get into reverse to leave and GRIND. I'm tempted to change my tranny fluid but I don't know if this will help. I'll try to post video up on youtube of when it occurs next but blaa. Is this something I'm gonna have to live with or could it be a potential issue? I'm going to try to get it into the dealer by the end of the week cause I'd like to get an engine and tranny oil change; I'll bring it up with them then.

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
Well, as you probably know. Reverse has no syncro.

Not to question your intelligence but....
The only thing I can think of is that you're not getting into reverse completely. Yes, it will go in half way, reverse lights come on, but its not truly engaged. This happened to me at first. And yes getting into reverse gets harder the tranny oil ages.
The distance from N to R should be the same as N to 2... 'cept the other way.

Just throwing that out there.

·
Premium Member
10,943 Posts
Right, reverse is a straight cut gear with no syncro, it's going to grind. If I'm really concerned about not having it grind I will push the clutch in, put it in 1st, back to neutral, clutch out, clutch back down, then reverse. That usually gets it into gear without grinding.

·
Premium Member
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well, as you probably know. Reverse has no syncro.

Not to question your intelligence but....
The only thing I can think of is that you're not getting into reverse completely. Yes, it will go in half way, reverse lights come on, but its not truly engaged. This happened to me at first. And yes getting into reverse gets harder the tranny oil ages.
The distance from N to R should be the same as N to 2... 'cept the other way.

Just throwing that out there.
Not at all, I appreciate all input. I've been driving the car for about 6-7 months now and just started encountering this. I've read through the forum and I'll try double clutching and or going to 2nd and then reverse to see if this helps. I suspect the grinding is just the teeth not being synced up. I've had the 'hard to get into reverse' before but not the grinds. I''ll go slower and be more precise and see if it helps. Thanks to all for your input; I'm also going to order some motul tranny fluid to see if that helps as well.

·
Registered
4,033 Posts
Might sound stupid, but wait until the car is 100% completely not moving, if it is even rolling 1" it will grind. Make sure it is stopped.

·
Premium Member
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Might sound stupid, but wait until the car is 100% completely not moving, if it is even rolling 1" it will grind. Make sure it is stopped.
Yes sir,

I'm figure now that I'm used to the car I' just being a bit too overzealous with tolerances. Gotta go back to babying mode.

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
This is kind of off topic but does anyone have an issue with the clutch in reverse? I have to ride the **** out the clutch to move, if I fully release the clutch the car wants to haul ass. I don't even need to give the car any gas to move.

·
Premium Member
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Lol! I do that as well, I leave it at the catch point and give it gas corresponding to how fast I want to go. My first week owning the car I tried to get off the clutch in reverse and did the buck of doom.

·
Banned
296 Posts
I remember my 09' was a b..ch getting into reverse but it's gotten smoother over time. Also if you aren't at an absolute complete stop you will grind going into reverse.

It is a little hard to let the clutch out in reverse, I've gotten better over time, but it does want to haul ass, you really have to feather the gas

·
Premium Member
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well day 1, following the advice of users here and no grind.. But I do stare down my shifter for like 30 seconds before I even think about going into reverse.

·
Banned
296 Posts
Well day 1, following the advice of users here and no grind.. But I do stare down my shifter for like 30 seconds before I even think about going into reverse.
Sometimes you have to intimidate your knob into doing what it supposed to do, a good stare down works, I like to slap it into neutral if it starts acting up

·
Premium Member
1,829 Posts
yeah ive only ever heard it grinding if im not at a complete stop

1 - 12 of 12 Posts