Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Going to install one this weekend. Looking for info from someone who has done install..simple stuff like best place to mount solenoid, where to get power from for head unit, which loc to run cable from solenoid to head unit thru firewall ect..anyone know if there is a documented install somewhere of this unit or a similar one since most ebc's are pretty much same components. any help much appreciated!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
699 Posts
search for the thread "goodbye ashtray, hello profec b"

http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=10365&highlight=goodbye+ashtray

I posted a decent set of pictures and instructions. The location for mounting the solenoid is a personal thing however. The picture shows mine screwed above the turbo to the empty holl for the intercooler mount (you'll see what i mean in the picture). I moved it recently and bolted it onto the bracket for where the siren for the alarm is on top of the passenger side strut. However it's making a creeking noise there and i'm going to be moving it again. The reason i moved it from the 1st location was that it could get too hot here.
p.s. scroll down to the bottom for my pictures and instructions on the other thread.
p.s.s. feel free to ask any more questions about my install
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
blackshadow said:
search for the thread "goodbye ashtray, hello profec b"

http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=10365&highlight=goodbye+ashtray

I posted a decent set of pictures and instructions. The location for mounting the solenoid is a personal thing however. The picture shows mine screwed above the turbo to the empty holl for the intercooler mount (you'll see what i mean in the picture). I moved it recently and bolted it onto the bracket for where the siren for the alarm is on top of the passenger side strut. However it's making a creeking noise there and i'm going to be moving it again. The reason i moved it from the 1st location was that it could get too hot here.
p.s. scroll down to the bottom for my pictures and instructions on the other thread.
p.s.s. feel free to ask any more questions about my install
Cool! Thanks Blackshadow. The only thing I am going to try and do different is to see if I can find a 12v source inside the cabin. I used a spare source located above the CD player for the subie boost gauge and that was as simple as just clicking two adapters together so I am hoping I can find another spare power source to tap into in that general area...I am sure there are a few.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
699 Posts
my 12v source is inside the cabin. It's the fuse box behind little pull out cubby hole by the drivers left knee. It was as simple as pulling out the fuse putting the wire in the top leg and putting the fuse back in.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
blackshadow said:
my 12v source is inside the cabin. It's the fuse box behind little pull out cubby hole by the drivers left knee. It was as simple as pulling out the fuse putting the wire in the top leg and putting the fuse back in.
Aha! cool, thanks for the clarification ;)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
577 Posts
Ah yes.. the infamouns 12v source. My mechanic tried to find the one underneath the dash @ the fuse box, but this was impossible because I had the aftermarket security system already hooked up in place.

We ended up using the line that feeds power to the ciggarette lighter for a source. This involved removing the whole of the center section of the car (arm rest, and all the parts surrounding the shifter. It was hard to tap into the wire (because it was so short), but we did it eventually.

As for mounting location, I used the ash tray. Since I don't smoke, it seemed like the logical place to put it. Plus it is within arms reach while I am driving, and not too much in plain sight for theives who might not be able to resist the eye candy.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
jigga said:
Ah yes.. the infamouns 12v source. My mechanic tried to find the one underneath the dash @ the fuse box, but this was impossible because I had the aftermarket security system already hooked up in place.

We ended up using the line that feeds power to the ciggarette lighter for a source. This involved removing the whole of the center section of the car (arm rest, and all the parts surrounding the shifter. It was hard to tap into the wire (because it was so short), but we did it eventually.

As for mounting location, I used the ash tray. Since I don't smoke, it seemed like the logical place to put it. Plus it is within arms reach while I am driving, and not too much in plain sight for theives who might not be able to resist the eye candy.
Exactly where I plan on mounting mine. And since I am not a smoker of cigarettes;) The lighter power source is also perfect for me to use. Thanks for that tip, its going in tomorrow morning weather permitting.
 
1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Top