Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
: : J-Lovin Moderator: :
556 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well today I got my intake installed by Ivan. I got the Greddy Airnix Intake. Took about 15 mins to install. It actually took longer because it was too hot to screw some things but if the car wasnt hot, you could do it in 15 mins. Anyways I took it out for a spin. First impression, holy sh*t I can hear a sucking sound. I can also hear my stock blow off valve alot louder. As for gains, there was some definite gains. Boost came up quicker and throttle response was right there. Armin told me his blitz sus was louder. So if you heard the blitz, then its not as loud. But Its loud enough over stock. I only paid $130 for the intake kit. I say its the best bang for the buck. All the other intakes are priced higher. If you guys are wondering where I got it, I got it from Garret from World One. Great person to buy. He even called me today because he knew I was installing today to ask if everything is going smoothley and if I have any questions. I was just shocked that he called and checked up on me. So bottom line, the greddy intake works great and World One is the place to buy.

Jason

·
556 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
SonicYellowWRX said:
cool... but all intakes are basically the same... filtration is the most important factor and the cold air ones make more power also.
The cold air does not make more power. The air gets heated up anyways so the cold air is almost pointless. Also I believe the greddy has one of the best filteration. You also will get more gans from a short ram intake then a cold air.

Jason

·
Registered
540 Posts
can you actually feel the difference at all? could be just psychological thing (sound and etc)? I've had AEM CAI before and I could hardly feel the difference, but I like Greddy intake better for its look and easiness of cleaning. BTW, I just ordered one from german-autowerks.com.

How do you clean the filter material? do you just need to buy the replacement filters?

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
PhreeZe said:
The cold air does not make more power. The air gets heated up anyways so the cold air is almost pointless. Also I believe the greddy has one of the best filteration. You also will get more gans from a short ram intake then a cold air.

Jason
Well XS Engineering's CAI makes more power than any other intakes I have seen for the WRX. :confused:

IMO, APEXi has best filtration and flow, but they havent produced a kit for the WRX yet.

Now does anyone have dynos of different intakes?!?!

·
Registered
540 Posts
XS engineering's dynoed hp gain of 10-14hp seems a bit misleading. MAF sensor must have been fooled to give that kind of hp gain with simple CAI system.

·
556 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
WRXreX said:
can you actually feel the difference at all? could be just psychological thing (sound and etc)? I've had AEM CAI before and I could hardly feel the difference, but I like Greddy intake better for its look and easiness of cleaning. BTW, I just ordered one from german-autowerks.com.

How do you clean the filter material? do you just need to buy the replacement filters?
Well first of, the reason you could not feel a difference with the CAI was because it was a CAI! On a turbo charged engine, cai will not do much. A short ram intake will do better. There's always a chance that it could be psychological but I can feel a difference. As for filtering, I believe you just buy a new filter. The filters are suppose to be really cheap with different options of colors. Oh also from what I was told, the Greddy Airnix is louder then the AEM CAI. I will post more information when I get home. I am at my sisters place right now.

Jason

·
556 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
SonicYellowWRX said:

Well XS Engineering's CAI makes more power than any other intakes I have seen for the WRX. :confused:

IMO, APEXi has best filtration and flow, but they havent produced a kit for the WRX yet.

Apexi does have the best filteration. I was told you can get the universial kit and get it custom fitted for the wrx. As for the XS CAI, do a search on cold air intakes or cai. You will see everyone says that the CAI does not doo much. When I get home, I will give you some links to back my information up. Cant blame you for argueing :D

Jason

·
556 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Can you show me a pic of it? If its what I think it is, then I would say its all go.

Jason

·
556 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
SonicYellowWRX said:
Prova Air Duct.

"Carbon Fiber Intake duct for your replacement of the stock air box pieces. Adds great style, better airflow, and cuts out the stock silencer while delivering the air directly to the airbox."
Haha well when I installed my intake, I took the stock air ducts out. So if your buying an intake, dont waste your money on it. If you want some carbon fiber, buy a carbon fiber hood! OMG carbon fiber on sonic yellow. God your so lucky. You got sonic yellow.

Jason

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
PhreeZe said:
Haha well when I installed my intake, I took the stock air ducts out. So if your buying an intake, dont waste your money on it. If you want some carbon fiber, buy a carbon fiber hood! OMG carbon fiber on sonic yellow. God your so lucky. You got sonic yellow.

Jason
haha, yeah i figured. yep carbon fiber is my plan... i dont want the whole hood though. just the hood scoop. maybe add the zero sports wing extension for some CF in the rear... and some black rims. An idea brought up by DuckWRX is to get an oem kit in black... not sure how that would look, but it may look pretty good. anyways, i think i'll do either the K&N or see if APEXi can make an application for me. I know the CAI's by theory dont work as well on FI, but who knows cuz boxer engines are a whole new world to me.

·
556 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
SonicYellowWRX said:

haha, yeah i figured. yep carbon fiber is my plan... i dont want the whole hood though. just the hood scoop. maybe add the zero sports wing extension for some CF in the rear... and some black rims. An idea brought up by DuckWRX is to get an oem kit in black... not sure how that would look, but it may look pretty good. anyways, i think i'll do either the K&N or see if APEXi can make an application for me. I know the CAI's by theory dont work as well on FI, but who knows cuz boxer engines are a whole new world to me.
Dude you should seriously check out the greddy. The filter is even yellow! As for painting the oem lip black, I wouldn't do it. Might look odd. But who knows. Dude I think your the first sonic yellow on clubwrx. POST SOME PICTURES!!!!

Jason:D

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
PhreeZe said:
Dude you should seriously check out the greddy. The filter is even yellow! As for painting the oem lip black, I wouldn't do it. Might look odd. But who knows. Dude I think your the first sonic yellow on clubwrx. POST SOME PICTURES!!!!

Jason:D
haha good idea on the filter... but no the oem lip would come already painted. since i will probably want an aerokit, and the oem kits will more likely not come in yellow... i would buy a black one. see if it looks good, if not then paint it. like i said, it was just an idea.
as for the pictures, they are posted in the appearance forum.

·
Registered
295 Posts
SonicYellowWRX said:

Actually, A'PEXi makes one for the WRX. Part #507-F004, from A'PEXi Japan. And yes, I have access to it. I was gonna get this one because I'm still on the 'trying to be different' thing. Here's a pic.

I have several friends in Japan, not to mention tons of contacts that own shops. The prices are great (usually), but the shipping is what sucks, unless it's from the car manufacturers themselves. For the A'PEXi intake, you are looking at $60 for shipping and $188 for the intake kit. If you are interested, let me know! As soon as I get the prices for the STi up-pipes, I'm ordering SOMETHING. I'm ordering this week....

Bernard

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
206WRX_GDA:

Thanks for lookin out, but I am not ready to purchase yet, man. APEXi is actually located not too far from my house, so I intend on seeing if they can get it for me. I assume that the only thing holding them back is demand. Besides, I think a Yellow GReddy AirINX would look pretty sweet. :) Now I just need to find out where I can get other yellow things before I commit.

Anyways, if you wanna be unique... why not pick up a APEXi Hayabusa Exhaust also? Just a thought.;)

·
Registered
295 Posts
SonicYellowWRX said:
206WRX_GDA:

Thanks for lookin out, but I am not ready to purchase yet, man. APEXi is actually located not too far from my house, so I intend on seeing if they can get it for me. I assume that the only thing holding them back is demand. Besides, I think a Yellow GReddy AirINX would look pretty sweet. :) Now I just need to find out where I can get other yellow things before I commit.

Anyways, if you wanna be unique... why not pick up a APEXi Hayabusa Exhaust also? Just a thought.;)
Hey! Funny you mentioned that, I just requested a quote on that piece. It's pretty light-weight for a stainless deal, but not as flimsy as the Kakimoto exhaust. Anyway, I'm also waiting on pricing on the Mine's Silence VX exhaust too.

Oh yeah, I can get the yellow filters too. I think they are under $40. Just let me know if you wanna get stuff that anyone else can't or if they are overcharging...

B

1 - 20 of 40 Posts