ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking to do a build and I found two turbos I was interested in. Ones the 18G and I can get that for $200 with 10k on it or the vf34 with 30k but has the wastegate crack for $250. I'm looking for a fast sporty day driver that I could have some fun with on the weekends. I'm going to do a full build so any other insight is great but right now I'm wondering about turbos.

·
Master Baiter
22,115 Posts
What do your compression/leakdown test results look like?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm doing a complete rebuild on the motor before I put in the new turbo. So fresh motor, also going to get bigger injectors, fmic and 255 fuel pump as well as other odds and ends things

·
Master Baiter
22,115 Posts
LucWRX said:
I'm doing a complete rebuild on the motor before I put in the new turbo. So fresh motor, also going to get bigger injectors, fmic and 255 fuel pump as well as other odds and ends things
I prefer the powerband of the VF34 on 2.0Ls, but 18Gs aren't bad.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well in the long run which on will be better. I like to auto cross but I also do a lot of highway driving so I would really like so raw power. Any insights on pros and cons?

·
Master Baiter
22,115 Posts
LucWRX said:
Well in the long run which on will be better. I like to auto cross but I also do a lot of highway driving so I would really like so raw power. Any insights on pros and cons?
Here's where you need to do some homework, since no one can answer the question for you: find dyno graphs of cars with VF34s and 18Gs. Make your decision based on that.

With the 18G, there are many variants, so take note of the exhaust housing (TDXX), hotside (7cm^2, 8cm^2, etc), and compressor housing (TDXX).

·
Good news, everyone!
3,856 Posts
How's your tranny doing? I wouldn't really recommend either turbo if you're still on the stocker, that is unless you have some money put away for a new gear set or another tranny. I ask not only because you're looking at upping the horsepower but also because you do autocross races.

You do realize with the bigger turbo you're bumping yourself into a modified class right? Going to have a hard time competing there without some damn good modifications AND driving. Just some things to consider before making the jump. Maybe the money will be better spent on some brake and suspension upgrades? Better bang for the buck autox wise.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The tranny is strong but I'm saving up do to the STI tranny swap. As for suspensions. I've already dumped enough money into that part of the car. I've got a lot of suspension knowledge from my other cars. Now I'm looking to dump money into the horsepower section. As for modifying the car and jumping classes. I autocross for fun and my own pleasure. Don't really care if I'm last in my class my last AutoX car was a swapped CRX lol

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
If memory serves me the Greddy 18G is a TD06 7cm version, at least all the ones I have seen are. It would a bit laggy on a 2.0L, but not horrible. I would look for a used 16G or EVO3 16G over both the greddy and vf34.

Lastly, a FMIC is way overkill for those turbos and a quality TMIC (Process West, Perrin, TurboXS, APS Spearco) would be much better. You should also ditch the fatory BCS and go either EBCS or MBC (which ever your tuner prefers/recommends).

1 - 9 of 9 Posts