ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What in the world is granny shifting??? Do people mean short shifting? Is this some fast and furious term? Man do I hate that movie!! I understand it's just a movie, but now I keep hearing words like NAWS and granny shifting from these punk in my area. Ugggg. I guess I'll get over it. Am I way off base on this one? Oh one more thing... some of the post in the WRX Vs the World are ridiculous....The WRX is a great car, but come on get real. Someone can tell me that they beat a vette till their face is blue, I need to see time slips to believe it. Okay, I'm done. Delete if necessary:)

·
Premium Member
4,475 Posts
Hey what's up,

Granny shifting just means that you're shifting like a grandma, I could be wrong though. As for the WRX vs. the World forum, I guess it's really up to you to believe if there are anyone who is really bored enough to make up stories and post them for people to see. There are lots of very very fast scoobies out there so don't be surprised what some imports cars can do when it comes to drag racing. I'm sure you won't see a civic take out a corvette on the track but I have seen civics beating vipers in drag races.

But then again, when a post does sound too outrageous you can always question the starter of the post and he gets to prove himself right? That's what makes the forum fun.

·
Banned
12,156 Posts
granny shifting means only using one depression of the clutch to change gears. regular shifting really.

they double clutch in the F&F. don't base anything on that movie. i liked it a lot, but it's obviously just an action flic.... not a real account of street racing like some documentary.

dR

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I just re-read my post:( Sorry guys this was stupid of me. Work puts me in wierd moods sometimes. I don't know how many of your a account managers, but sometimes the customer makes no frickin sense.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Quite right, it's a movie. Real racers don't use the clutch. Hehe. Some of the Mustang owners around here in the 1/4 mile will just pummel it from one gear to the other. Which works fine, actually, if a little hard on the tranny. Hauling it out of gear w/o clutch is no problem, and if you are at or near the right RPM / drive train ratio (ie. 1:1 :) ), you can drop right into the next gear without a clutch.

I gather that FnF type double clutching should be hauling yourself out of gear without a clutch so the tranny synchronizes and then using the clutch to put the car into your next gear.

I also gather that on a sports car, this serves no real purpose. Except maybe on Monster Miata's ... It made a good line in a movie, but that's what it was: a line in a movie. ;)

dark_rex said:
granny shifting means only using one depression of the clutch to change gears. regular shifting really.

they double clutch in the F&F. don't base anything on that movie. i liked it a lot, but it's obviously just an action flic.... not a real account of street racing like some documentary.

dR

·
Registered
772 Posts
It might be fine on a Mustang or a vett. From what I read so far
on the stock tranny, sounds like a lot of ppl is having tran problem
after harsh shifting. btw that's from the i-club forum.

Any ideas ?

·
2,081 Posts
Granny shifting = normal shifting.

The line in F&F- "granny shifting, not double-clutching like you should" is pretty ironic, because it's even slower than granny shifting. I'm wondering if Vin Diesel fumbled the line, or something. Speed shifting would have been fine. Powershifting would have been fine. Why make such an obvious error in a movie targeted at enthusiasts? What a way to trash your street cred. Ro well.

·
Thinking Man's Engine
3,013 Posts
NAWS: NOS (a brand of nitrous oxide system).

Granny shifting is not revving the hell out of the engine, let's say for the WRX, shifting no greater than 3000 rpm, shifting before the turbo spools up.

Double Clutching in Fast & Furious, just some line to make it sound cool. Yes, before the days of synchros, you need to double clutch. Double clutching is also good for downshifting, as it saves wear and tear on your synchros.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I'm a clutch newbie, but how does 'double clutching'? Whats a synchro?

Wow imagine me driving, I might get flamed but I need to find out somehow huh...

Lux

·
2,081 Posts
Luxcar101 said:
I'm a clutch newbie, but how does 'double clutching'? Whats a synchro?
No problem, Lux... re synchros and other transmission info, see:
http://www.howstuffworks.com/transmission1.htm

The most basic explaination is that the synchros bring the speed of the gear you're going into up to come closer to matching your engine speed before it engages.

It used to be that transmissions did not have synchros, so you had to do the matching yourself. So, to double-clutch, you will depress the clutch, pull the stick to 'neutral', and release the clutch. This allows the transmission to turn at the same speed as the engine. Then you rev the engine to the proper speed, quickly push the clutch back in and select the next gear, and release the clutch. Despite how it sounds, this can be done quickly... but not really as quickly as normal shifting (no matter who is deluding themselves otherwise), and certainly not as fast as speedshifting or powershifting.

HTH,

AXJ

·
Registered
39 Posts
thanx for the info. It's something I've doen (sort of, not too exact) I just didn't have a name for it.

I actually found a course on driving a stick a few weeks before I bought my car which was a relief as I was so incredibly rusty driving a stick... Gotta love Newark, you can find ANYTHING here:

"Who ordered the small rusian male slave?"

Lux

1 - 11 of 11 Posts