Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi guys.
I got a dynotune at Pruven yesterday and those guys kick ass.
Very professional and it only took 1 1/2 hr with luch break to tune.
I was limited to 16 psi of boost because I didn't have time to wire in the EMI adapter so I can raise boost past the factory cutoff.
My setup is:
Upgraded stock turbo with 16G compressor and larger exhaust scroll. I actually have an opportunity to get a group buy on this turbo, so email me at [email protected] if interested or have questions or just pm or leave a reply here.
BPM twin dump DP
3" catco cat going through crush bent exahust to Borla sportsman 3" muffler.
Gutted stock uppipe
Hacked Injen and Vishnu intercooler hoses.
STI injectors controlled by S-AFC
Results are below.
If you notice the plots start at 3K rpms, I didn't know they were going to do this as I wanted the dyno to show how quick the turbo spooled up. I can just tell you that I get 15 psi by ~2700 rpms.

Alex...

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
Great results! Woohoo! Were you able to see what kind of modifications the guys at Pruven were doing to your vehicle? Rich here, lean there, advance the timing here, pull it out there, etc.?

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
They only did the fuel adjustment. I have stock computer and S-AFC controlling STI injectors. I'm sure the numbers would have been much higher, if I had control over timing and if there would have been a fan blowing on the stock top mount intercooler.
But I'm happy with the numbers at only 16 psi. I will be putting EMI adapter in so I can raise the boost past the factory cutoff to about 18-19 psi and I will also add a larger fuel pump. I just need a worm day to do it.
Then I will schedule another dyno tune.:D

Alex...

·
895 Posts
if you're getting the EMI adapter, then why not also consider the unichip as well? those two put together make a very good combination, i'm told

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I don't like Unichip. I consider it very crude. When I'm ready, it will either be Utec, Xede or Autronic. I like to be able to change settings on the fly. S-AFC is the cheapest thing that lets me do this.

Alex...

·
Registered
103 Posts
What are you using for boost control? Is that 16 psi and then tapering, or is it a MBC and 16 psi throughout? Also, do you have pullies?

Reason I'm asking:

Your numbers and curves are almost the same as mynew02's over on NASIOC - he's running a stage 0 iON turbo. However, he's got a fuel pump, pullies, and a link to tune with - a little more tuning ability than an S-AFC;) . Also, he's peaking at 18 psi and tapering to 16.5. I'm definately going to do one of these turbos when I upgrade in the next few months - 15 psi by 2700, how exciting!

BTW, I where did you get the turbo from, turborepair.com? Since I won't be able to go in on a group buy (need $$ :mad: ), do you mind me asking how much you paid for this upgrade?

How is it driving around town? Good, smooth drivability? Any additional seat-of-the-pants observations you'd like to share now that you've been living with it for a week? Tell me how you like it!

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Lol, you are all over these boards:D
I have no pulleys. I am using an MBC, so the boost stays 16 psi all the way. I got it from Relentless Racing, that spec'd it to Turbonetics. The owner is a friend of mine and had this turbo custom made for me. Cost me a bit over $1K, but I'm trying to get the group buy going now, $765 for 5 people, less if more people go in. I live in NYC, so being able to jump in and out of the traffic is very important. It's very smooth and has virtually no lag. I just roll off the stop and then just stomp on it and it just flat takes off. Car is VERY fast now. I can't wait what it will do, once I put EMI adapter and fuel pump in and have it tuned for 18-19 psi. I would love to have the ability to be able to tune the ignition timing, but I seem to be making good power with stock computer and S-AFC for now. I'm sure if mynew02 had this turbo, he'd be making about 300 whp:eek:

Alex...

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hey gusy. I am finally set to get group buy going on this turbo.
Here are the details:
A 16G cold side, 360 degree trust bearing and larger exhaust wheel in bored out housing ( not a measly clip that hurts more then helps).
All this with 12 months/ 12 mile warranty. Just for reference this turbo spools several hundered rpm sooner then VF30 and VF34 (16 psi by 2650 rpm) and flows more ( VF30/34 430 cfm at 1 bar, this turbo 505 cfm at 1 bar). I am finally set to set the wheels in motion and just wanted to make sure that I contact everybody that was interested. The final price is $750 with your turbo shipped to modify or a brand new modified turbo for $1170.
Please let me know if you would like to participate.
My email is [email protected]

Alex...

·
895 Posts
505 cfm??? wow thats a lot of air that thing is pushing through - any dynoed results or flow charts for this thing?

·
Registered
46 Posts
wow thats alot of power for just 16 psi.

what were your IDC's??
and A/F ratios?

do u think u could of got the same #'s w/ stock injectors??

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
You can get away with stock injectors if you keep stock exhaust and keep the boost under 14 psi. With programble computer management you can go higher.
I ran this turbo with stock injectors and stock exhaust and I was fine at 14 psi.
I don't know exactly how much power it was making, but it felt just as fast as Vishnu stage 0 car with unichip, stealth back and emi.
If I had the Vishnu's or Turboxs' computer managment solution, the numbers would be close or over 300whp for sure.

Alex...

·
895 Posts
i understand what you mean - right now i've been running my 22 on stock injectors and boosting to 10-12psi and i've been fine. i've even hit 14-15 once b/c i was flooring it and the boost creeped up.

but that doesn't mean its the most reliable or safest setup. i've only got the car like this until i head up to dallas to get it tuned. when i had the STi injectors in the car was running really poorly b/c it was too rich and the ecu wasn't adapting to it.

anyways, with your turbo, and especially that much air being flowed through, you'll be maxing out the IDC on your stock injectors. at least with bigger ones you'll have a larger IDC buffer for safety.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Right. When I put the sti injectors in, I just dialed up -18% up until 5k rpm on my s-afc. This way I would be somewhat in the ballpark until I got them tuned. When I got to Pruven, I was only making 177 whp at 16 psi! That's how rich it was running. After the tuning I was making 266 hp at the wheels and still running 10.8:1 A//F ratio. I would dare to say that even though stock computer makes injectors go static after ~5000-6000 rpm above 15 psi, there is just too much fuel even with stock injectors.
When I was watching Shiv tune a bunch of cars via ECUTek, most people with upgraded exhaust, intake and stock turbos, were in the begining running so rich, it was off the scale!:eek:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts