ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need to stop faster! I know about the lines and fluid to improve brake feel... but it was suggested to me to upgrade the pads. So what I want is to be able to stop as fast as possible. I don't want to go BBK, but the OE brakes just do not instill a lot of confidence, so which pads are for street that will stop the car the fastest? The OE's just aren't cutting it for me.

Thanks for any help and yes I know there's a sticky, but it's for mostly older models. that I saw, mine is the 2012 WRX.

·
Master Baiter
22,114 Posts
Tires will make more of a difference stopping the car than pads.

·
Premium Member
4,376 Posts
So what I want is to be able to stop as fast as possible
Get better tires. They will be your limiting factor in stopping distance.

If you want better pedal feel, look for different pads, stainless lines, and a (good) bleed with a better fluid.

Most brake 'upgrades' involving a BBK or performance pads are to prevent your brakes from fading or boiling the fluid. Normally, performance pads work at a higher temperature as well. Check out this description of various Ferodo Racing brake compounds from their website: (FYI, the only pad recommended for daily driving by Ferodo is the DS2500. I would not recommend it for daily driving personally)

...The downside of performance brake pads are that they normally squeal when at normal daily driving temperatures, and actually have less stopping power until they come up to heat.

That being said, there are pads out there designed to be an improvement over stock pads for daily driving. These may increase 'feel' or 'bite', they may not. Normally with brake pads for daily driving, you make a trade between noise levels, excessive brake dust, and initial 'bite'.

...In a nutshell...
-If you want to stop faster, get better tires
-If you are fading your brakes, stop driving so fast for so long
-If you want better feel, get lines, a flush, and possibly different pads.
-Ask for recommendations for a daily driver friendly pad with a good initial bite, not a 'performance pad' to make you stop faster. I can't help you with this personally. I use the stock ones for daily driving.

Just putting a bit of a bigger picture up for ya =)

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
sorry, I should have been a little more specific... tires are OE, everything is ok except for the few engine mods I have.

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for that info Heide... I don't mind the dust so much... the squeal I can definitely deal without though. I get irritated easily... so that wouldn't last long lol. I actually do not drive fast at all, just the occasional spirited run here and there in safe locations. I had to cross over a few lanes the other day though and so I had to get up to speed quick and then down quick... it didn't come down quick and I just didn't like the combo of the roll the car had along with the brake feel... just made me think for the engines ability the suspensions and brakes ability is now even further behind than before.

·
Premium Member
4,376 Posts
sorry, I should have been a little more specific... tires are OE, everything is ok except for the few engine mods I have.
EDIT: Just saw your reply.

Either get better tires if your ABS wasn't kicking in, or alternatively, drop some weight off of the car. Newer light weight lithium ion batteries are a good method of this in my opinion without too many drawbacks.

If the ABS wasn't kicking in, stomp on the brakes a bit harder. It's hard to modulate the brake pedal if it feels like a wet sponge, however. I just finished my stainless lines last night - between those and a good bleed with Motul 600 my brakes feel much more responsive/firm even with the stock brembo pads on. They used to feel like mush.

That's my take on daily pads as well. Dust is okay... squealing is not. I picked up the DS2500s for occasional track use hoping to daily drive on them for a week or two between events. They worked well on the track (minus the fact they look like a burnt brick now due to either lack of cooling, or more likely, a novice driver's brake control) and they bedded in well - nice solid dark ring around the rotors. As soon as I got off the track and onto the ride home they cooled down they started to squeal like all daylight - as well as having a somewhat mushy feel.

Just make sure you go for what people recommend as a daily driver pad in my opinion. Don't go for maximum stopping power. There is no 'ultimate' brake pad that is good for everything - annoyingly.

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Are your brakes fading or boiling? I'd imagine not unless you are stopping from 80+ down to about 40 multiple times in close succession. In which case, a tire upgrade will be your only method of stopping any faster. Or, alternatively, drop some weight off of the car.

It's bugging me.. Why do you need to stop faster? I have never heard anybody have a complaint about stopping distance. Most people (myself included for a while) want better pedal feel unless they are tracking the car - kinda get rid of that wet spongey feeling.
I guess because I came from a 370z... that thing would absolutely give you a headache the rest of the day if you had to stomp the brakes hard. I only did it once... never wanted to do it again lol... it hurts.

·
Registered
6,751 Posts
Since you don't want to deal with squeal, you're stuck with stock pads (or similar). As soon as you go to anything that bites better, you're going to introduce squeal. About the only performance pads that I know of that improve bite without introducing much squeal would be the Hawk HPS.

That leaves just the fluid and lines. The fluid will make the biggest difference overall in pedal feel.

What suspension ideas do you have?

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
EDIT: Just saw your reply.

Either get better tires if your ABS wasn't kicking in, or alternatively, drop some weight off of the car. Newer light weight lithium ion batteries are a good method of this in my opinion without too many drawbacks.

If the ABS wasn't kicking in, stomp on the brakes a bit harder. It's hard to modulate the brake pedal if it feels like a wet sponge, however. I just finished my stainless lines last night - between those and a good bleed with Motul 600 my brakes feel much more responsive/firm even with the stock brembo pads on. They used to feel like mush.
I was going to ask what type of pads are on the car stock.. so the 2012's are brembos?

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Since you don't want to deal with squeal, you're stuck with stock pads (or similar). As soon as you go to anything that bites better, you're going to introduce squeal. About the only performance pads that I know of that improve bite without introducing much squeal would be the Hawk HPS.

That leaves just the fluid and lines. The fluid will make the biggest difference overall in pedal feel.

What suspension ideas do you have?
Right now I think i'm just going to go with the Eibach sway kit and end links of some sort... maybe the kartboy? I'm not completely sure about endlink brands yet... I don't want any thudding sounds or any of that crap. A lot of the reviews have said the Eibach sways do a very good job so I think I will give them a try though. It'll be a little while before I can get the extra money I need though.

·
Premium Member
4,376 Posts
I was going to ask what type of pads are on the car stock.. so the 2012's are brembos?
I have a 2011 STi. The stock pads on the brembos are pretty daily driving friendly though. I'm sure the stock pads on the WRX are fairly equivalent. I'm actually quite happy with the stock pads now that I have better fluid and lines on the car (I wasn't before, let's put it that way). They don't have as much 'bite' upfront, but they are easy to modulate, quiet, and will stop my car quick enough to rush blood to my face if I jump on them in a pinch... They do create a dust cloud on my wheels in a matter of hours I swear though.

I wouldn't necessarily say adding 'bite' causes squeal - I get squeal when my pads aren't the temperature they should be for one reason or another. Indirectly, however, 'bite' will cause a quicker build up of heat and would normally require a 'hotter' pad.

I haven't heard much on the project Mu ones. I know people like the Hawk pads - I have heard the HP+ ones squeak here and there just a warning.

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Ok guys... I was pressing down on the pedal today and it's just so spongy, I was in the local area and picked up some AMSoil Dot 4 fluid. I figure that I could at least have it. I am somewhat familar with bleeding and such, I never have actually flushed a whole system out though. Does anyone know much much new fluid I would likely need?

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Also... and yes I know this may sound stupid, but has anyone ever tried bracing the OE lines so there's less movement? Maybe lightly tieing them to something so that cannot flex as much when pressing the pedal down harder?

·
Premium Member
4,376 Posts
Never tried the bracing. Dunno that it would help or not. May just be better going with stainless lines in my opinion.

For an STi the factory manual said 500mL system volume. That being said as long as you don't flush a lot of it out, 500mL should be enough. Was for me at least.

I am not familiar with that fluid personally. I would recommend some Motul or super blue down the road a bit though.

·
Registered
6,751 Posts
I'd go with Motul or ATE Super blue fluid over the Amsoil too. Amsoil makes some good products but don't have the reputation of Motul or ATE. Bracing the lines won't make a difference. The problem isn't them moving it's the flex in their walls that lets them expand.

·
Registered
6,751 Posts
Brembo doesn't make pads they make calipers and rotors. I don't know who makes Subaru OEM pads.

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Brembo doesn't make pads they make calipers and rotors. I don't know who makes Subaru OEM pads.
I was in the car last night while it was running... I was pressing down the brake pad and trying to pump it up... all I can hear is an air sound. I think the brakes were very poorly bled from the factory. I had already bought the AMSoil so i'm going to try that... a least for a while. I read a few reviews on the Evo site last night from a guy who had used all different brake fluids and in his opinion the amsoil was the one he seemed to like more. This person actually did track the car on a very regular basis though. I'll see how it goes, but i'll need a day where nothing is going on so I can get it all done properly.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts