ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Took my car at my 1st oil synthetic service over the weekend. Interesting enough, the service guy told me, its okay to use regular oil but must be replaced every 3500 to 3700. That's interesting because it will save a lot $$ rather than paying $79 every time. But has anyone use regular oil and change their oil every 3500 miles?

·
Super Moderator (Actually a SuperSpy)
29,233 Posts
Took my car at my 1st oil synthetic service over the weekend. Interesting enough, the service guy told me, its okay to use regular oil but must be replaced every 3500 to 3700. That's interesting because it will save a lot $$ rather than paying $79 every time. But has anyone use regular oil and change their oil every 3500 miles?
Regular oil is in wide use everywhere but the comment about oil is not relevant.

Only what the manufacturer requires is relevant. If an oil meets the specifications in the manual, you can use it and if you ever have a problem and can document your oil changes, SOA will have to repair the problem under the terms of the warranty.

It's really as simple as that.

The issue isn't whether an oil will work or even whether an oil will be absolutely brilliant in the motor for a given time. The issue is only the requirements stated in the warranty booklet.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the side info but it doesn't help answer my main question....

·
Registered
966 Posts
Pretty much, Subaru Of America (SOA) states in the manual that the engine requires this specific oil, and if anything breaks then they are not covering it under warrantee. Another words, them saying, 'We built this car to work like this, do this it will work and if by chance it doesn't we will replace it. If you don't do what we suggest then we can almost guarantee the car won't respond as it should (wear on parts sooner, parts breaking, etc.) and we will not be held responsible.

If ya ask me, I'm going to follow their instructions on how to keep the car running as best as possible. If I wanted to save the extra cash every couple thousand miles I would've went with a vehicle that does not require synthetic oil.

·
and the Funky Bunch
6,124 Posts
Pretty sure that Subaru says to only use synthetic with their turbocharged engines. I think that's what SD was getting at. You could certainly use regular and it may be fine, but if you were to have a problem that could be grounds for a warranty denial.

Personally, I don't intend to use regular in my car. I researched it years ago and came up with good reasons why (my old car required synthetic too) but honestly can't remember what research I came up with back then.

Reactions: T0rque

·
Premium Member
25,496 Posts
SoA wants you to use synthetic oil and they have a Technical Service Bulletin out stating the change of oil every 3 months or 3750 miles for turbocharged vehicles.

Yes 2008-2012 WRX owners, this means you as well even tho the brand new owners manual still currently states a longer oil change interval the TSB overrides that.

·
Registered
759 Posts
From the manual for my 2012 WRX: "5W-30 synthetic oil is the required oil foroptimum engine performance and protection. Conventional oil may be used if synthetic oil is unavailable."

Sounds to me like they need to put synthetic in there.

·
Premium Member
25,496 Posts
From the manual for my 2012 WRX: "5W-30 synthetic oil is the required oil foroptimum engine performance and protection. Conventional oil may be used if synthetic oil is unavailable."

Sounds to me like they need to put synthetic in there.
Conventional oil can be used, the downside with conventional oil is the amount of heat produced by out motors and forced induction breaks them down much faster than synthetic oil. That is the reason the dont want you to use conventional oil for a long period of time.

·
Premium Member
25,496 Posts
I think the specifications section doesn't state the interval but in the maintenance section it does. Where is the best place to find Technical Service Bulletins?
Contact your subaru service department. The bulletin was published in 2007 and according to SOA over rules even current published information in the 2012 owners manual.

·
Registered
759 Posts
Contact your subaru service department. The bulletin was published in 2007 and according to SOA over rules even current published information in the 2012 owners manual.
That's kinda messed up, isn't it? Put out a TSB that nobody knows how to find, and then hold them to it and refuse to work on a motor from an owner that can't find them or didn't see them anyway?

My friggin manual says 7500, and I plan on 5,000 intervals. My car is 4 days old and they can't gimme the correct information?

·
29,233 Posts
It directly answers your main question.

·
Registered
966 Posts
That's kinda messed up, isn't it? Put out a TSB that nobody knows how to find, and then hold them to it and refuse to work on a motor from an owner that can't find them or didn't see them anyway?

My friggin manual says 7500, and I plan on 5,000 intervals. My car is 4 days old and they can't gimme the correct information?
My engine blew at 6k miles because it ran out of oil. The salesman who delivered my car to my house said bring it in at 7,500 miles, stupidly I listened and ended up with a blown motor at 6k miles. Luckily my dealership repaired it under warrantee, but still every time I go for an oil change they put a sticker to come back 7,500 miles later.

·
Premium Member
1,829 Posts
i change my oil every 3k miles with 5w30 full synthetic regardless of what anyone says

·
Registered
18 Posts
http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d93/93zxdett/TSB.png

Not completely true. Logged on to Alldata for TSB's after reading this and found this. BTW, no current TSB's released for 2012 WRXs or STi's to the aftermarket as of yet. I'll call Subaru tomorrow as I need to order something for a customers car anyways. Appears though that prior to 2011, it was required every 3 months or 3750 miles. Now it has reverted back to 7500 miles. With that said, as someone in the industry, I'll do it at 3k-3500 miles and ONLY synthetic.

·
29,233 Posts
Frankly a modern automaker requiring oil change intervals more frequently than, say, 5000 miles is outright shameful. That Subaru would think of doing that even 5 years ago, instead of fixing the hardware issues that caused the problems, was very, very low of them.

On the other hand, if an oil requires 3000 mile intervals, it doesn't belong in my motor.

There is no logical reason for someone in the industry or not to be doing 3k intervals (if you are in doubt, check data via analyses and see) if the oil is correct and the car isn't damaged.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Frankly a modern automaker requiring oil change intervals more frequently than, say, 5000 miles is outright shameful.
I agree with this statement given how the industry has come along with today's technology and Subaru's racing heritage.

Changing oil every 3000 miles was the norm back in the day. That was preached by every dealers and local shops to get you spending. Great marketing tool!!!Most of us grow up that way.

So I take it no one here is using standard factory oil and changing every 3700 miles. Everyone here is using synthetic and changing every 4500 to 5000 miles. I guess I will be sticking to that. I guess if you do a lot of WOT, oil may burn easily therefore you may have to add/check level every 1000 miles to make sure your car is not running on empty thus ruining your engine. Got it!

·
29,233 Posts
Since your car is new the oil use has not yet stabilized. This means you should be extra careful to keep the car topped up with oil; check very frequently (all fluids frankly, it's good practice).

Used oil analyses would definitively answer your question but they take time to show trends and you'd not be meeting the warranty requirements anyway. Since the car is new and under warranty I'd follow the manufacturer's specs and intervals to the letter, documenting every change by keeping dated receipts.

1 - 20 of 68 Posts