Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last Monday I got laid off from a sinking biotech company. No prob, still young, right? A few hours later, got nailed by a speeding SUV while I was pulling out of a parking spot. ****ed my bumper, a little 1/4 panel damage and even bent the frame a little (headlight, fog light, etc...). About $3600 damage on a three week old car. Thank jah for car insurance.

Body shop said no prob, have it back to me looking new again. (Comforting words) Only thing is it's gonna take 2-3 weeks to fix because of having to order the parts.

**** SUV's:mad:

respect

·
Registered
416 Posts
wow man, sorry to hear that. sounds like a rough week :(

some people just can't drive. i almost got hit head-on by a ford explorer...stupid woman just started drifting right into my lane. i had to slam on my brakes and give the honk and middle finger :mad:

things will come around for you man, before you know it your rex will be back and you'll have new toys to put on it because you got a new job :)

·
Registered
31 Posts
alchemist said:
Last Monday I got laid off from a sinking biotech company. No prob, still young, right? A few hours later, got nailed by a speeding SUV while I was pulling out of a parking spot. ****ed my bumper, a little 1/4 panel damage and even bent the frame a little (headlight, fog light, etc...). About $3600 damage on a three week old car. Thank jah for car insurance.

Body shop said no prob, have it back to me looking new again. (Comforting words) Only thing is it's gonna take 2-3 weeks to fix because of having to order the parts.

**** SUV's:mad:

respect
Did you get stuck with a citation for 'Failure to Yield' as well?

·
1,379 Posts
Wow, that really sucks, man. I know how you feel- makes you want to do that whole "climb under the bed and hide until the month is over" thing. I did that in April. :( Good luck in getting your subie straight and finding a new position. Keep your head up, bro. Things'll get better.

AXJ

·
Thinking Man's Engine
1,598 Posts
sorry to hear that.

Interested in a government job?

We don't make much (starting) but we get great benefits and job security.

·
Banned
1,780 Posts
I'd like a government job- I teach now, so the money would probably be the same. Jim

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Tan: Nah. I'm just looking for a position until next Sept until I go back to school. Hopefully I'll be Dr. Alchemist. I'm mostly just looking for another biotech company who needs chemists. I don't want to stay in the industry forever, teaching seems more fun.

Check this. After what happened I sooo wanted to hide in my bed and not get behind the wheel for a while. 2 days later I borrowed my fiancee's Legacy, drove it for 5 phuckin' minutes, pulled up to a red light and some muthaphucker rear ends me. Not hard, but enough to make my neck a little sore. No damage to the car. This guy tried to tell me his brakes went out. Ha! I just didn't want to deal anymore and told him to learn to drive and get off the road. No cops this time. When it rains, it pours.

They didn't give me a citation for failing to yeild. I guess because the damage to my car obviously showed that she was not going 25mph. Since she hit me, I don't know how the whole insurance thing is going to work out. My mind was obviously in the clouds because of the whole job sh*t.

Lesson learned: it's only a car, don't get attatched to it.

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
sorry to hear the bad news, but i'm sure things will start looking better as soon as you have the car back...
isnt it sick how cars can just be so damn attractive? (no). its just a bunch of sheet metal, why does it look so damn good? ;)
o-|-<) bryan
but like my dad always says, "its only a car, it can get repaired"

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
why is it that everytime i see an suv doing something stupid, i say to myself "that has to be a woman driving", and 99% of the time i'm right? i'm not saying every woman is a bad driver, but a lot are...hang up the friggin phone and do your makeup before you leave! i was coming down I95 in philly, passing a bmw 525 in the left lane, and she decided that she was gonna get in that lane too...while i'm next to her! i slam on the brakes and horn, start screaming profanities (probably in a few different languages) and she doesn't even look at me! :mad:

anybody else share this feeling???

·
Banned
1,780 Posts
Holy sh1t!
I feel that anyone, male or female, should have to take a driving test to get behind the wheel of one of those oversized sh1tboxes! Why, because they are a different animal from the average passenger car- we DO license people seperately to drive buses, tractor trailers and motorcycles after all, and there's a reason for that- because they are a different breed of vehicle, not covered by a standard driver's license! And, in the words of Forrest Gump, "That's all I have to say about that".

·
1,379 Posts
I don't know, 'round here bad suv driving seems to be shared by both sexes. Oddly enough, though, most times when someone nearly hits me it's in a passenger car driven either by a teen or an elderly person.

I agree with the Jedi, though, that the larger SUVs (Excursion, Expedition, Suburban) should have separate licensing. There was a thread over at Miata.net a few months ago where a woman ran up onto the hood of a BMW Z3 in her Excursion while pulling out of a parking space. She was going to pull forward instead of backing out and she literally could not see it from the drivers seat, and assumed that space was empty. :eek: Anything that weighs 10,000 lbs and is over 20 feet long needs a separate license!! It really makes me :rolleyes: to think that lots of folks are buying these to cart their two kids around town in.

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
alchemist said:
Tan: Nah. I'm just looking for a position until next Sept until I go back to school. Hopefully I'll be Dr. Alchemist. I'm mostly just looking for another biotech company who needs chemists. I don't want to stay in the industry forever, teaching seems more fun.

Lesson learned: it's only a car, don't get attatched to it.
alchemist, sorry to hear about the job situation and car stuff (good advice, that last line is!). What are you looking to get your PhD in? I'm guessing analytical, or biochemistry. BTW, I'm an analytical chemist, although I do more material science related functions.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts