ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hoping someone can shed some light on this for me. I am looking to have some mods done to my car. On the engine side, I am looking at ecu/access point modification and I was told that a great thing to do before this was to add a downpipe.

Curious if this is money well spent, trouble free and not doing any major damage to my ride.

thanks.

·
Registered
2,386 Posts
ECU reflash/EM +DP makes a completley different car. Its the best route for modding and wont hurt your car as long as you dont abuse it.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ECU reflash/EM +DP makes a completley different car. Its the best route for modding and wont hurt your car as long as you dont abuse it.
Thanks for the input. Abuse? Me? Never...

So, in your opinion, is spending the extra $$ on exhaust a must/worth it? It seems like a fairly expensive upgrade for fairly minimal return?

thanks.

·
Registered
31 Posts
A Stage 2 setup is actually a pretty substantial return. You are going from around 220 horse to close to 290 at the motor. Thats a pretty noticeable gain. It can be a relatively expensive way to make you feel what your car can do depending on what brands you are looking at but there are some good deals out there. You can probably get a stage 2 setup for a few hundred bucks if you look around.

Good luck.

·
Registered
848 Posts
You can't go wrong with a stage 2 setup. According to your profile, you have 2004, don't forget to change your up pipe for better spool if you haven't done so.

·
Premium Member
843 Posts
A Stage 2 setup is actually a pretty substantial return. You are going from around 220 horse to close to 290 at the motor. Thats a pretty noticeable gain. It can be a relatively expensive way to make you feel what your car can do depending on what brands you are looking at but there are some good deals out there. You can probably get a stage 2 setup for a few hundred bucks if you look around.

Good luck.
So I have a 2007 WRX.. A stage2 setup would take it to 290hp, or the setup plus ECU flash would?

Any websites on where to get parts/how tos on upgrading?

·
Registered
129 Posts
I only payed $170 for my stage 2, K&N droping, Helix Dp, and XPT map, (got a tactrix cable for free)

So I have a 2007 WRX.. A stage2 setup would take it to 290hp, or the setup plus ECU flash would?

It's the setup plus ecu flash, XPT's map runs 17.2psi and create 310lbs.ft. tq. at the wheels, hugh gain at over the 240 at the crank the car comes with.

or the setup plus ECU flash would?
Complete stage 2 is an ecu flash.
I also have an 07 WRX all I did was buy a used DP, I got a Helix cause it was very cheap, my friend gave me his Tactrix cable, then found a K&N, and bought a XPT Stage 2 map. www.XPTtuning.com has prolly the best map it's only $55. And don't worry about your up pipe the 07 has a catless one.

·
Premium Member
843 Posts
I am sorry.. I am so ignorant and need things spelled out. Are you saying the 07 pipe is good enough, and I can approach the 290hp with just a new map (aka, ECU flash?)

·
Registered
15 Posts
I am sorry.. I am so ignorant and need things spelled out. Are you saying the 07 pipe is good enough, and I can approach the 290hp with just a new map (aka, ECU flash?)
Just went stage 1 via AP. Very much enjoying the gains. Plan on doing some suspension (f/r adj sways) then going stage 2. DP is all thats needed? Not trying to threadjack, but does anyone have opinion on swapping out an 07 UP at the same time? I know it's catless, but should it match the dp? ie 2.5" up vs 3" dp, etc...

-Jaded

·
Premium Member
11,095 Posts
Just went stage 1 via AP. Very much enjoying the gains. Plan on doing some suspension (f/r adj sways) then going stage 2. DP is all thats needed? Not trying to threadjack, but does anyone have opinion on swapping out an 07 UP at the same time? I know it's catless, but should it match the dp? ie 2.5" up vs 3" dp, etc...

-Jaded
I'd think the 06/07's are going to have a provision for the air pump so it's probaly not worth the hassle. You can pick up a good used up-pipe or a STI UP rather cheap.

·
Registered
129 Posts
You will need a full TBE to reach the 242AWhp that XPT made, and You defiantly need at least a DP, I was running XPT's stage 2 with just a DP, hugh difference over the stage 1 map I had, but I still wasn't hitting my target boost, only like 16.5lbs. I'm now running a stage 1 map only because I do a lot of AutoX and I feel that map spools faster. Maybe when I get a catback I'll run the stage 2 all the time.

·
Premium Member
843 Posts
when you make the mods you are talking about (catback and DP) - is the car exhaust going to roar? I definitely like the quietness of the stock exhaust.

·
Premium Member
11,095 Posts
when you make the mods you are talking about (catback and DP) - is the car exhaust going to roar? I definitely like the quietness of the stock exhaust.
It depends. You can get a SPT catback, a Cobb catback, a Hush catback or a Turboxs stealth back and you'd notice a little bit of increase but nothing earth shadering.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts